Album of the day (#4864): Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/13/2024 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4864): Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Today's album of the day

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by Dead Kennedys (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1980.
Overall rank: 367
Average rating: 80/100 (from 733 votes).

Tracks:
1. Kill The Poor
2. Forward To Death
3. When Ya Get Drafted
4. Let's Lynch The Landlord
5. Drug Me
6. Your Emotions
7. Chemical Warfare
8. California Uber Alles
9. I Kill Children
10. Stealing People's Mail
11. Funland At The Beach
12. Ill In The Head
13. Holiday In Cambodia
14. Viva Las Vegas

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 04/13/2024 22:09
  • Post subject:
Take a shot every time I say “punk”

I love punk. I love what it stands for: I love punk views, I love punk culture, and I love love love the music. But I don't know if there is a punk-album I am loving enough to get into my chart... Well, Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables kicks those words back in my mouth, 'cause gosh this album is bad ass! babyBlueSedan I heard you out. I bought the 33 1/3 book for punk band Dead Kennedys’ flaming debut. I haven’t finished the book, hell I’m not even past the first chapter yet it’s already clear to me why this punk classic stands tall among 95% of punk albums, at least released in the same era. Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables is an album of punk bangers. It makes me ready for a maniacal protest and anarchy in the flesh. The humor and lyrical violence makes it outstanding in its field. Some of these tracks are impure thoughts and riots in music form.
What I prefer about Dead Kennedys to other hardcore punk bands, or just punk bands in general (like Black Flag, and even later on Rage Against The Machine) is that it’s never over-exaggerated or semi-inauthentic, as much as it is genuine with a spark of creativity as icing on the cake. Jello’s vibrato is integrity fulfillment. “Kill kill kill kill kill the poor” man he sounds like he’s having fun, mimicking the higher status quo of the industry; a metaphor of the poor gets poorer (or mocking capitalist big wigs treatment of lower class citizens and music fans who only choose to listen to a catchy chorus and nothing else - shacke9). And the “Drug! Meeeee” is…something else to say the least. Two of the punk genre’s greatest hooks (and that is something). The satire comes into play as they close out the record with Viva Las Vegas, but in a sarcastic manner - sort of pissing on upper class idols, like they pissed on the lower class problems. And the way it’s carried out is in pure punk style and philosophy; embrace the ugliness. Other highlights of this punk-fest counts Chemical Warfare, that contains an amazing - no, 2 amazing - breakdowns (former sounds like self-irony, latter is chaos), and the drumming gets more shine. And the ridiculous Stealing People’s Mail, but ridiculous in a cool, pessimistic, humorous, punk way. Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables is the punk musical documentary of the San Fransisco chaos in the late 70’s.

Alright now punk, I hope now that you’re drunk, you should give Fresh Fruit a spin.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website