Point of Discussion: The Artist and the Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/11/2015 15:36
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I think the better way for me to answer the question is to rebound on what Levon has told us right here.

1. Thinking that an artist's art "is often reflective of their personalities and experiences-they write their personas into their music" is banking on their sincerity, and I can't do that, because: a) I don't know what they think; b) I'm not sure artists are the best people to know what their art means; c) I don't think sincerity is the foremost value in music. A lot of very sincere artists and all-round nice people are just putting out music I consider tarrible.

2. If a record can only be appreciated in its context, it's not good. To take the example of Nick Drake, the first time I heard his music, back in the early 90s, I didn't know who the guy was. I didn't know if was really the utterly depressed individual his music seemed to portray. It never prevented me from relating very strongly to it.

3. If I were to rule out dicks from musicians I can listen to, man I wouldn't be listening to much, and I would be the kind of ball of contradictions that doesn't have Kanye on his chart because he's a prick but has some Oasis records because the Gallaghers are pricks but come on it's Oasis.

Ultimately, every individual draws his own line. I won't listen to white supremacists advocating the return to pre-Christian tribal Aryan druidic life because it utterly disgusts me, but hell if I can assure anyone I don't have any of those in one of my charts (in fact I might have a David Allan Coe record somewhere that's particularly, er, clueless, albeit not neo-KKK strictly speaking). It doesn't make it ''right if I don't know'' or anything, but once somebody sets as high standards as Levon, that means he has to have the very precise context in every case to 1. fully appreciate the music and check if it's heartfelt (something I don't care about. I don't care if it's heartfelt, I care if it sounds heartfelt). 2. verify if the guy wasn't a prick in some way. John Cale has a fascination for firearms, something I don't share, but fuck me if he didn't make good music. Same goes for all the punk/postpunk outfit who were so dangerously 'interested' in fascist imagery (I'm thinking Throbbing Gristle/Joy Division-New Order/et al here, not fucking Skrewdriver of course - in which I contradict myself because I can and I'm a human being and I can't help it and neither can Levon.)

Ended up not making any sense but there you go.

Haha! Makes sense to me. This is exactly how I feel. Every single point. Thank you!
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/11/2015 15:46
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:
Pink Moon with its history is better than Pink Moon without it.

I disagree.

But I will reread your text I promise.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/11/2015 15:48
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:
This is an incredibly extreme interpretation of what I wrote, and you're completely misconstruing the first segment...

No, and I'm not. As I tried to state, I am "rebounding" on what you said, i.e. using it as a basis for expressing my thoughts on the rebound. I'm not saying that everything I say is an exact reflection on what you said, I am "rebounding". Which took me further that what you wanted to say, but thank you for saying what you said which helped me try to phrase my own 2 cents, and sorry if it felt like I was mistreating your text.
  • Visit poster's website
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/11/2015 15:54
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
. Which took me further that what you wanted to say, but thank you for saying what you said and helped me try to phrase my own 2 cents, and sorry if it felt like I was mistreating your text.

No problem. And I actually like how you responded to my third point. I probably could better articulate that argument...here, I'll try.

If I have a serious ethical issue with an artist, I will be much less likely to listen to them. Kanye I take personal offense to when he makes jokes about Parkinson's because my grandpa is slowly dying of the disease and I find his comments insensitive. If an artist is just an egotistical jerk, though, I could really care less. I'm pretty egotistical at times, so I can definitely cut Kanye and people like Kozelek some slack in regards to their insecurities.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:03
  • Post subject:
Hard. On one hand, I don't think who the artist is matters at all - if the music is good it's good, regardless of the artist being Mother Theresa or white supremacists. I think it'd be extremely silly and limiting to listen to an album and like it, but then decide you didn't like it after reading about the artist. What the artist does besides his art is separated from the art itself in the sense that you can perfectly appreciate one without knowing the other.

On the other hand, however, the art an artist creates is in a way a reflection of himself. If Kanye makes different music from Bon Iver, it's basically because they're different people with different ways of being, motivations, experiences, etc. The difference in their music is caused primarily because they're different people, and each artist's art's uniqueness stems from the fact that they're a unique person. As such, the art someone creates is intrinsically conjoined with who the artist is. So Mother Theresa's music would be what it is mostly because the artist who made it is Mother Theresa - we're bound to hear about solidarity and kindness, even if we don't know who she is. In a way, the message and the art itself is inseparable from the artist. After all, art is just a means of expression - and what can one express other than his oneself-ness?

So yeah, in a way, and in my opinion, music should be appreciated as separated from the artist (it doesn't matter if he's Hitler - if he made good music then he made good music) but also music can't be separated from the artist (since the whole idea of art is to express oneself using art as a mean.)

Also I agree that music that requires context to be appreciated is kind of failing at what it's aiming to do. On the other hand, context can help put the artist's message into perspective (which can have either a positive or negative effect on its appreciation - it's subjective).
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:32
  • Post subject:
I think I'm mostly with Defago on this.

Me personally though, I'm pretty good at separating the art and the artist and looking at their interpretation pretty objectively. I mean, even if an artist is at odds with my personal values, I'd rather experience their art as opposed to dismissing it. Even if they are "offensive" no one necessarily makes things without a reason and I'm honestly fascinated by differing opinions and stances.

Before Satiemaniac left their was an interesting thread similar to this about separating the art from the artist. Satie happened to make a really fascinating post that led about whether it was morally right to continue listening to Jimmy Page and David Bowie (because despite some of their hideous acts those remain unconnected from the music) while still avoiding artists like Woody Allen.

EDIT: Post is here
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:34
  • Post subject:
I know squat about 98% of the artists I listen to. Unfortunately, I find it nearly impossible to separate the artist from the art the more I get to know the artist. Like was said earlier, artists tend to write themselves into their music - at least when lyrics are involved. The decision to leave lyrics out of the work says just as much about the artist as well.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:40
  • Post subject:
This has been a really interesting discussion so far, and I agree to some extent with most of what was said here, expect...
LevonTostig wrote:
3.) Some artists are just awful people and don't deserve to have their art heard.

I can't even wrap m head around this. I could see the point that an artists personality has a negative effect on you while listening to to their work, but to say that an artists work doesn't deserve to be heard is just insane. Ariel Pink has said some nasty shit, whether it be a joke or not, that is extremely offensive. Yet I can still listen to his music, which I believe is some of the most interesting pop music being made right now. The viewpoints and beliefs of the artist in question doesn't directly change the quality (or lack of) of the piece. Who is anyone to say that someones art doesn't deserve to be appreciated? Can I not listen to any Phil Spector produced records since he killed someone? Or even listen to DIIV or Ariel Pink just because they said some stupid remarks? It's a grey area for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:43
  • Post subject:
Haven't been able to read through the comments, but they probably explain this better than I can.

However, I would think it's more appropriate to state that the artist isn't the only thing that affects an experience. Any overlying context added can change an experience greatly which includes the artist itself. For ex. the show Always sunny in Philadelphia creates a brilliantly entertaining comedic endeavor, but the characters themselves are what're being mocked. Assuming these were real people, then it wouldn't be hilarious, it would create an emotional response of anger or frustration. Similarly, assuming I felt that the words spoken by an artist weren't convincing enough to be shown as real within the context of the lyrics, I would hate them.

The conclusion is that it's not about whether or not the artist is/isn't what it claims to be, but whether it convinces the consumers that it adheres to its story. At least, that's from my perspective.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2015 16:52
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Haven't been able to read through the comments, but they probably explain this better than I can.

However, I would think it's more appropriate to state that the artist isn't the only thing that affects an experience. Any overlying context added can change an experience greatly which includes the artist itself. For ex. the show Always sunny in Philadelphia creates a brilliantly entertaining comedic endeavor, but the characters themselves are what're being mocked. Assuming these were real people, then it wouldn't be hilarious, it would create an emotional response of anger or frustration. Similarly, assuming I felt that the words spoken by an artist weren't convincing enough to be shown as real within the context of the lyrics, I would hate them.

The conclusion is that it's not about whether or not the artist is/isn't what it claims to be, but whether it's convinces the consumers that it adheres to its story. At least, that's from my perspective.

Yes, but a scripted TV show doesn't have to convince the audience that it's real or not, nobodys going to watch It's Always Sunny and wonder if it's a reality show. On the other hand, do you actually question the "reality" of an artists work, and does that actually affect your listening experience. For example, if you were you were to listen to the new Father John Misty album, do you question the authenticity of his words, and the story's he's telling, and does that have a significant effect on your listening experience?

Personally, I don't give it a thought and assume it to be based on reality, but altered to fit into the context of a song. I remember reading on article on Benji when it was released where the author basically fact checked a bunch of stuff in the album, all of which was true, which definitely made me see that album more positively, as I knew he was speaking directly from his own personal experiences. Yet when I'm listening to album for the first time, none of this runs through my head. I'm just listening to the music.
  • Visit poster's website