Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:00
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Would use would the internet be if we couldn't accuse people we don't know of being racist or race-baiting?

When we "don't know" someone, all we have to go on is the words as presented. The words as presented appear to show a racially (and gender) based problem.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:02
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Skinny wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Worry not, calm reigns here:
I said "don't sweat ..."

Such a call to remain calm is hardly a reason to accuse one of needing to calm down.

Accusing somebody of race baiting for what appears to have been a tongue-in-cheek comment (provided with its own caveat regarding it being an opinion) is rather unnecessary. With the words "calm down", I was referring to your hyperbolic language, not your manner.

I could, of course be wrong as internet discussion lacks the nonvverbal component, which is supposed to be 80-90% of communication, but the comment seemed quite pointed and not at all tongue in cheek. It was clear the OP didn't take it as humorous either and I've never known him to be the type to overreact.

That's fair enough. The term "race baiting" just tends to ring alarm bells. It's a term that, in my experience, is almost exclusively used by white supremacist blowhards.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:27
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
When we "don't know" someone, all we have to go on is the words as presented. The words as presented.

Exactly. I still can't understand how anyone could have two Killers albums in their overall 100. God knows why some of you got your knickers in a twist about the race/gender thing - Daydreamer could have a chart full of riot grrrl and trap listed after Sam's Town and I still would have mentioned it.

The whiteboyswithguitars is a Peel quote. Do some research before creating an argument out of nothing.

Daydreamer - sorry if you're offended. Will happily makes amends if you want some recs. That said, this whole raft of stupidity could have been easily solved by everyone listening to Diamond Life.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:36
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Would use would the internet be if we couldn't accuse people we don't know of being racist or race-baiting?

When we "don't know" someone, all we have to go on is the words as presented. The words as presented appear to show a racially (and gender) based problem.

Again... tounge was firmly in cheek with that response. I remember a certain sexy BEAer who made the observation that the internet is pretty much white people accusing other white people of racism (not entirely inaccurate), and thought that joke somewhat applied here. The term "White men with guitars" was also a popular joking term here not so long ago (EDIT: originally John Peel? Huh neverwouldathunkit), but I guess not everybody found that funny (and sure it was mostly an attempt to poke fun at so-called "dadrockers", which yet again was a somewhat condescending term that those associated with it were rarely appreciative) , and I could see how some may not have interpereted the original response as a fairly harmless dig as well, so I guess an agree to disagree but no crying foul. Don't think there was ever a geniune suggestion that this chart was somehow subconsciously racist or racially ignorant though so I think while the original post may have not been exactly crystal clear in it's intent I don't think any ill will or geniune harm was meant by it at all (EDIT: well, maybe possibly the reaction to Sam's Town) and things may have just been exagaratted a bit too extremely.

Anyhoo, do like the chart, shows an interesting progression of the chart-maker's musical tastes and a sense that there's so much more they're wanting and willing to discover, so def interesting to see how it changes, evolves or hay just stays consistient over time.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:47
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
That said, this whole raft of stupidity could have been easily solved by everyone listening to Diamond Life.

Fairly narrow criteria there for effective communication. No wonder things went off the rails.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:54
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Fairly narrow criteria there for effective communication. No wonder things went off the rails.

You obviously haven't heard it
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:54
  • Post subject:
Like my vaguely off-the-rocker Uncle used to say, I think we really need to go to Sam's Club to pick up some Chill Pills and A Sense of Humor-TM.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2017 16:58
  • Post subject:
Rather go there than Sam's Town, that's for sure...
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2017 17:40
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
You obviously haven't heard it

Right. I never really took to Sade, so why would I? Like I said, if you make that a prerequisite for effective communication, it's going to be an impediment. Not just to me, but to many--while it may be a successful album, it's not exactly ubiquitous like Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/23/2017 17:44
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Right. I never really took to Sade, so why would I? Like I said, if you make that a prerequisite for effective communication, it's going to be an impediment. Not just to me, but to many--while it may be a successful album, it's not exactly ubiquitous like Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon.

From now on, assume everything you read on this forum is meant as a joke until told otherwise.