How many listens is enough?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Taric

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/22/2011 11:20
  • Post subject:
3 listens of Ke$ha? Are you trying to kill me here?

But yeah, 3 is my minimum amount of listens to enter my chart. It's all subjective from there on.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/22/2011 13:06
  • Post subject:

Cool

Unless it's Kid A, Closer, Loveless, or Spirit Of Eden. Anxious Then, it's like, 7-8 listens.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/22/2011 13:18
  • Post subject:
I think it also depends on your mood the day you're listening something. I mean if you're in mood for something "heavy", and you want to listen to, say, Spirit of Eden for the first time, you probably won't enjoy it as much as you could on another day.

I've been thinking about albums that I loved instantly and which I never lost any appreciation for. Dark Side of the Moon, the album I still find my favourite, was the one. Again, it was the right mood I guess, I was in "relaxation mode", lying on the bed, listening to it in the dark. Thought it was pure magic at the time, unlike anything I had ever heard before (and I loved it for that, nowadays if I hear sth like that, it takes me a while to fully appreciate it).
Then some of the Beatles' records, especially Revolver, but also White Album. On the other hand I didn't really like Sgt. Pepper as much on the first listen, don't know what the reason was there.
Is this it is another one, and I'm actually amazed I can still listen to it and not feel bored, it's the kind of album you can love instantly but that can also get old soon. Not for me...
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2011 14:05
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
It varies on the album.

I think that's the main factor for me. Some albums take longer to unpack than others. Let's compare say, A Hard Day's Night by The Beatles and The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips. One is a straight up pop/rock record with catchy, well crafted tunes, but there aren't really any curve balls or any artiness to the album, so there is not a lot to absorb. The Soft Bulletin, on the other hand, is probably going to sound really weird to you the first time you listen to it, and thus you might have a harder time connecting with it, unless you've already absorbed albums like Pet Sounds, or more arty Pink Floyd. A more "artistic" unique record usually takes longer to absorb. I think the albums that take the most listens are usually the ones with the most staying power over time too.

That idea of whether there is an arriving point or not is an intriguing one. I think the one's with staying power either take a long time to reach it, or never do.

It think it also depends on how you listen. In other words, do you have the album on in the background while you cook or clean? Or are you devoting almost all your attention to listening to that album and giving yourself over to it? Also, as loveless mentioned above, there are other factors like current mood that influence and affect your enjoyment of a particular album. There are so many factors to consider.
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie

• Posted: 11/22/2011 14:11
  • Post subject:
One for me. If I dislike an album, I leave it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/22/2011 14:17
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
It varies on the album.

The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips.

...That album is easy to get into Confused At least it was for me. Love at first sight Angel

Some of the Flaming Lips earlier stuff is hard to get into though Confused

Jazz, Post-Punk & Shoegaze are probably the hardest genres to get into (but it's worth it)

Folk, Hip-Hop, Pop & Rock are probably the easiest to get into Smile (unless for some reason you're one of those 'RAP SUCKS DUDE ROCK ALL THE WAY" guys....) Anxious
Mind Movie

• Posted: 11/22/2011 14:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Folk, Hip-Hop, Pop & Rock are probably the easiest to get into Smile (unless for some reason you're one of those 'RAP SUCKS DUDE ROCK ALL THE WAY" guys....) Anxious

Most people I know can't see the greatness in "Bob Dylan talking nonsense over the same chord progression for twelve minutes" though.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/22/2011 14:47
  • Post subject:
Mind Movie wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Most people I know can't see the greatness in "Bob Dylan talking nonsense over the same chord progression for twelve minutes" though.

Meh, sure they can Cool

But maybe folk should be somewhere in the middle though Think Some Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, etc... is a bit hard to understand sometimes.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/22/2011 15:12
  • Post subject:
Hip hop isn't an easy genre to get into if you never listened to it as a kid IMO. I speak from experience, my dad never really listened to it, and I sort of adopted his music views when I was younger (which in effect also meant that I rarely listened to "newer" music, apart from a few bands).
I started to get into hip hop maybe one year back when I first joined the site, but back then I still didn't really like a lot of it... It's unlike any other genre, it's not based on melodies, and the lyrics are more important than in every other genre, so yeah.. I don't think it's easy to turn somebody to a hip hop fan if he never listened to it at all.

Then for me I guess, there's another problem with english only being my second language, so I have more difficulties following the lyrics (I still do). And of course, I can't really relate to the black Americans from ghettos and what they've got to say in their songs, which makes it a bit harder.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2011 15:51
  • Post subject:
I find that time can be more important than the number of listens - an album can "settle" in your mind over a while and if you liked it at first you might find it somewhat bland later and if you thought you just didn't like it at first maybe you come back to it 6 months or 6 years later and decide it's phenomenal.

That said, after several listens of In the Aeroplane... spread over a period of about a year, I still can't find anything redeeming in the album and continue to be astounded at the high opinion so many people have of it.