An Idiot Listens to 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 01:58
  • Post subject: An Idiot Listens to 2017
New Music and I haven't really been friends in the 2010s. Don't get me wrong, there are great albums in the 2010s. Something else I've noticed about having something Spotify at my fingertips is:

1) It's awesome because I can sample everything
2) It's terrible because I can sample everything

What I mean is in the year 2003, I probably only really went and bought the 10 best albums of the year... stuff I heard either from friends, KROQ, family... did I say friends... and pretty rarely it was stuff I'd pick up without hearing it before at the record store.

I NEVER in my entire life purposely listened to 50 albums that came out just that year. 50 new songs sure... 200 new songs, sure, but not 50 albums. It's actually hard for me to believe there's ever been a year with 100 amazing albums. 50, sure, it's possible. 25 is probably more realistic. IDK... that's just my opinion. Probably a combination of narrow-minded and realistic (both likely being true).

So maybe this makes me think actually maybe I'm a casual music listener. Maybe I'm the complete idiot I usually give a hard time to others about. Knowing nothing about music, or the history and culture surrounding it.

Part of me then wonders if actually the internet has created or stripped the traditional understanding of culture and just like my statement about Spotify is this double edged sword producing the most amazing non-pidgeonholed music, caught up in some fad, but then there's no fad - no culture and no base. Then there's the extreme cookie cutter music. Hasn't all this existed before... am I just looking at it through a new lense?

So anyway... I'm wanting to document somewhere what I think about albums so far from 2017 and perhaps will get some amazing suggestions by all ya'lls. Side note: what creates staying power? I know this has been a discussion before, but even more curious as I try and create "staying power" with some albums that mean nothing to me right now.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:02
  • Post subject:

Melodrama by Lorde

I really like Writer in the Dark, and she really does discover some creative veins way above that of the average pop artist, but idk. I want to like it like I do Lana del Rey. Maybe it would grow on me?

First listen, I'm not crazy about coming back to it, but it sure is highly ranked for 2017. Her voice is absolutely beautiful.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:20
  • Post subject:

Prophets Of Rage by Prophets Of Rage

I want to love this album. I really do. Chuck D and basically Rage Against the Machine... oh yeah and the dude from Cypress Hill. It could be the greatest thing. But like most supergroup acts, this never really takes off. They never really connect and sound like they are a band/cohesive. It actually just sounds like someone took samples from the 3 artists and put them together.

Except for maybe Living on the 110 and Who Owns Who.

In someways I like their message and what to believe it and in other ways I now see why people laugh at such "radical" thoughts. They seem dumb/uneducated. de Locke didn't have that problem.

It seems more like cool older dudes smokin weed would put this on to remember the good old days or something... idk. Fun lovin, weed smokin and no need for substance. This is for you.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:25
  • Post subject:

American Dream by LCD Soundsystem

What a dumb name for a fantastic album. idk that was my first reaction at least.

Probably my favorite album of this year. It frustrates me sometimes. My favorite albums typically are old hacks still kickin it (says the youngin). I mean they are strong artists still topping the best of year charts, even if they are 50 years old. Who cares you ageist bastards. Partially kidding. It actually is sad though. I'm finding it hard to find an artist who debuted post 2010 who I absolutely love. Maybe 2008 or 2009, but even those I'm taking a while to really fall in love with... maybe more respect, like Kendrick. It's 2017!!! WTF. It's confusing because the 2010s have had great music... but somehow has no identity for me, other than old hack artists still going strong.

Ok so about the album.

I like it a lot. Sorry... that's all you get for now cause this really is a thought dump for me and really I don't need to say anything to remind myself of how to rate it... for now. Easily best album or at least top 5.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:32
  • Post subject:

Little Fictions by Elbow

The opening track is fantastic, and then it does this Jekyll and Hyde thing where half the songs are fantastic and what I'd expect from Elbow, and the other half I half go WTF and the other half of those half I'm just bored with.

Still overall comparably possibly a top 10 of 2017. I mean that's one thing I'm learning, you got to compare these B albums with another album and it helps you see, oh that one actually is a C when compared to this A album.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:37
  • Post subject:

Villains by Queens Of The Stone Age

Rad album art. Some pretty awesome songs, but as a life long fan, probably only their 4th or so best record. Probably top 10 2017 album for me... again, some old bugger who won't stop making great music.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:40
  • Post subject:

Concrete And Gold by Foo Fighters

Also life long fan. IDK - part of me thinks it is great, you know it's like the first time they haven't recorded in their own homemade studio since like 1999 and they used a producer, a pop producer at that, and some of it came out great and some of it came out canned... but alas, even though I love them, their last album was the same. Canned dad rock (and it hurts to say this).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 02:57
  • Post subject:

DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar

This is the first album of his I feel flows like an album I'd expect it to... there's some kind of theme/flow. Probably terrible for me to say, but most rap albums don't do that for me, except for Carnival... damn I love that album.

Anyway, it's nice to see some old farts (U2) make such a "hip" album, and it actually sounds great.

Kendrick is deep and powerful and really has grown on me to be more than just a one off artist. Much respect.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 03:06
  • Post subject:

Everything Now by Arcade Fire

Easily best song of 2017 goes to these guys for Creature Comfort. I have yet to find a song I love more.

The rest of the album though... I think another user said best... is this an ABBA remake album?

That was my first reaction at least. Then it grew on me still a little. Still probably my least favorite album of theirs, but compared to other albums out this year, these old farts still take the cake over other mediocre artists.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 03:08
  • Post subject:

Reflection by Brian Eno

One long ass track, hehe.

Idk - I've heard more boring Brian Eno than this.

Nothing to shit myself over, but still a nice listen. Probably top 20 to 30 material.
  • Visit poster's website