Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol
The Bends by Radiohead
Suicide by Suicide
The Resistance by Muse
The Blue Album by Weezer
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart

And this isn't even Linkin Park's best!

You're just purposely creating controversy. The Resistance is the only album on that list that is worse than this, though TMR comes close.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/11/2012 02:46
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
You're just purposely creating controversy. The Resistance is the only album on that list that is worse than this, though TMR comes close.

I would rather listen to the Hybrid Theory than all of those albums.
  • Visit poster's website
dp39

• Posted: 07/11/2012 02:54
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Albums the Hybrid Theory is better than:

Discovery by Daft Punk
MBDTF by Kanye West
Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol
The Bends by Radiohead
Suicide by Suicide
The Resistance by Muse
The Blue Album by Weezer
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart

Well I'll get your back on Resistance by Muse.. but the rest... No
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2012 02:58
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

I agree. Meteora is slightly better.

The sin of Linkin Park was not Hybrid Theory, or Meteora, or adding to the shit foundation of the new Transformers. The problem was the billions of much shittier bands that were green lit and mass produced in the early 00s because of the success of Linkin Park (with an assist from Papa Roach, Drowning Pool, and Crazy Town's only hit Butterfly . )

Bands like Trapt, Crossfade, Saliva, Cold, Smile Empty Soul, Adema, and Taproot all made more money and had more hits and fame than they ever deserved to. All those bands were way worse than the worst of Linkin Park. The other shitty part of a kid growing up on Linkin Park is that they were warped into thinking that bands like Hoobastank were the "clever cool music", bands like Fuel and Finger Eleven and Nickelback were "hard rock staples", Stain'd was "classic rock", and The Exies and Fall Out Boy were "Punk."
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/11/2012 02:59
  • Post subject:
It's not god awful, but I wouldn't say that it's bad either. However, that's not important. Linkin Park are one those groups (along with Slipknot, Green Day, and Blink-182) that are popular (at least in my view) because they appeal to the 12-25 year old male demographic because they are a form of "rebellion" (that word is used very, very lightly ) that the rest of more mainstream music isn't offering them. They all play loud and shout a lot and "rebel" against the group as a whole and I think that's what makes them popular. I at least know from experience (I went through a phase at the ages of 12-14 where I loved these groups) that these are reasons why. These bands don't necessarily release terrible music, but they're able to find success because for some reason, they have developed this rebel image even though they seem to work pretty far into the mainstream of music and culture in general. Granted, this theory isn't the most well thought out and probably doesn't hold up well upon closer inspection, but for me at least, it describes why a lot of the people I know who I know like these groups (whether they're aware of it or not)
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/11/2012 03:20
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
It's not god awful, but I wouldn't say that it's bad either. However, that's not important. Linkin Park are one those groups (along with Slipknot, Green Day, and Blink-182) that are popular (at least in my view) because they appeal to the 12-25 year old male demographic because they are a form of "rebellion" (that word is used very, very lightly when used in described these groups) that the rest of music isn't offering them. They all play loud and shout a lot and "rebel" against some sort of group of individuals and I think that's what makes them popular. I at least know from experience (I went through a phase at the ages of 12-14 where I loved these groups) that these are reasons why. Granted, this theory isn't the most well thought out and probably doesn't hold up well upon closer inspection, but for me at least, it describes why a lot of the people I know who I know like these groups (whether they're aware of it or not)

I guess my problem with people saying that is that you just judge their music on their fanbase.

Logic:

Chris is 14. He is an angsty teenager and someone who does stupid shit that I hate.
Chris's favorite band is Linkin Park.
Therefore, Linkin Park must be a terrible band.

Note: This wasn't meant to be an attack on you. It's just my opinion that there is a giant unnecessary gap in between "commercially great" and "critically great". Linkin Park does not deserve to be this hated by the "music purists" (for lack of better terms), just because they are popular commercially.
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/11/2012 03:29
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I guess my problem with people saying that is that you just judge their music on their fanbase.

Logic:

Chris is 14. He is an angsty teenager and someone who does stupid shit that I hate.
Chris's favorite band is Linkin Park.
Therefore, Linkin Park must be a terrible band.

Note: This wasn't meant to be an attack on you. It's just my opinion that there is a giant unnecessary gap in between "commercially great" and "critically great". Linkin Park does not deserve to be this hated by the "music purists" (for lack of better terms), just because they are popular commercially.

I was more trying to talk about why I thought they were popular and why they develop the fan-bases that they do. I don't hold the belief at all that a group's fan-bases determines the quality of the band at all. Granted, a band's fan-base can sometimes make it hard to get into a certain group (at least in my experience), the people who like a group shouldn't affect your opinion on the quality of the band at all.
thejoj96

• Posted: 07/11/2012 03:38
  • Post subject:
My dad is a huge fan of this band for some reason.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/11/2012 03:41
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
I was more trying to talk about why I thought they were popular and why they develop the fan-bases that they do. I don't hold the belief at all that a group's fan-bases determines the quality of the band at all. Granted, a band's fan-base can sometimes make it hard to get into a certain group (at least in my experience), the people who like a group shouldn't affect your opinion on the quality of the band at all.

Yeah my post wasn't against yours. Your post just made me think of all that stuff.

And I do agree that outside factors shouldn't affect one's opinion on a band, but it sadly does. I try not to let it affect me as best I can, but I'm positive that it does.
  • Visit poster's website