Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2013 22:13
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
several stretches of absolute perfection and is one of the best rock albums ever made.

...And that's where I disagree with ya buddy, I feel as though their influences come through so much in there music, that the pure derivativeness keeps it from being anything more than a really great album. But I respect your opinion and very much enjoy this album.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/18/2013 23:09
  • Post subject:
Too bad their best song of all time wasn't on this album (Reptilia) or else this might have been even more kick ass. Overall it's a great album because it's a bunch of really catchy alternative rock tunes, I mean, the lyrics aren't bad, they're actually pretty well written, but most of the time I listen to the strokes solely because it's easy to sing along to and it's very catchy. I always compare this to "Damn The Torpedoes", not because it sounds the same, but because it's an album filled to the brim with some of the catchiest and most easily recognizable rock tunes.

Overall a great sound album, although you won't be disappointed by lyrics either, this si the type of album that's easily accessible to anyone and everyone, that doesn't mean you'll like it, it's just something you can easily get into, and if you don't like it, I won't say you're missing out on anything too special, but this album is amazing (in my opinion). I believe it's number 11 on my chart.

I actually remember my first time hearing it a while back, at that point I only knew 2 or 3 songs by the strokes so I really wasn't expecting this album to be so awesome compared to some of their other works. I think this was one of the first albums I bought too, I don't remember, but I believe it was in my first 30 CD's that I bought.

Anyways, great album.
purple

• Posted: 02/18/2013 23:10
  • Post subject:
An incredibly enjoyable album. Casablanca's vocals are undeniable and his lyrics flow, and Moretti reaches near-ascension on some of his drum parts. Overall, a better version of Loaded, IMO, which is already legendary. I especially enjoy Barely Legal, Someday, Hard To Explain, Take It Or Leave It, and Modern Man. The version I had did not have New York City Cops, and I've actually never heard that song... need to get on that.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2013 23:29
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
The version I had did not have New York City Cops, and I've actually never heard that song... need to get on that.

It's REALLY good. Probably the best song on the album Laughing Bit more of a NYC-punk side of the Strokes.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2013 23:31
  • Post subject:
They left it off the american release because it was released shortly after 9/11 and "new york city cops, they aint too smart" doesn't really give off the right message. They replaced it it with another song that I cant remember the name of but I remember it isn,t that great. They also changed the artwork.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2013 23:32
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
The version I had did not have New York City Cops, and I've actually never heard that song... need to get on that.

I second Hayden, NYC Cops might actually be the best Strokes song. (For now, I'm going with The Modern Age.)

as for the album: deserves the hype

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2013 06:24
  • Post subject:
I enjoy it more than I used to but it's still not that great. I'm happy with them in short bursts, but I usually get bored with listening to the full album at once.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/19/2013 08:17
  • Post subject:
Nostalgia is fun.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/19/2013 09:55
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I'm happy with them in short bursts, but I usually get bored with listening to the full album at once.

This.

It's not consistent, but when it's good it can be really enjoyable.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 02/19/2013 10:08
  • Post subject:
I can't say I agree with the hype, but it's nevertheless an enjoyable album, one of the better ones of the decade probably. However, I always feel they sound so lazy, I don't know if I like that or not. Confused