How to Talk to Your Children About Their Shitty Taste...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:15
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

I know some people think BEA is pretty quiet these days, but I don't think this kind of thread is the solution. It may even be the problem. Making threads for the sake of making threads is not a good idea. We have to find something else.

I hear something exciting is about to happen in the lounge.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:51
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I hear something exciting is about to happen in the lounge.

Link

• Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 09/05/2013 19:54
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/05/2013 20:20
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I see your point. I posted it mostly for the entertainment value and because I think it's healthy to rage every now and then. If albummaster or the community as a whole would rather see this type of article in its respective random chat thread, I'd be happy to oblige, but I wasn't aware of any status quo regarding the issue. I tend to view the forums as a pretty relaxed discussion space, and when a thought occurs to me (such as the gay marriage thread I started) or I come across an article that could encourage discussion (you may not find the discussion so far to be terribly worthwhile, but it has generated more discussion than the average post in Musical Random Chat, to refer back to your comparison) I feel free to post it, even if it's nothing especially groudbreaking. If I think it might be something a lot of people are interested in reading and commenting on, I make a thread. If it's just a random thought that doesn't have much discussion value, I put it in the Musical Random Chat thread. That distinction is arbitrary and I apologize if we have different criteria. If you're not alone then I will confine thoughts like this to pre-existing threads in the future.

I think I might have been way too harsh with my comment, as usual, and I'm sorry. Its aggressiveness was uncalled for.

I agree with you when you say that the forums are a relaxed discussion space. I also view them as a place where you can post whatever comes to your mind, share it with the others, and discuss it. I'm just really annoyed by this kind of completely stupid article. I mean, we all know that the commercial side of the music industry can go way too far. There would be plenty of interesting things to say about it and interesting people to encounter, yet all the journalist manages to write is that we should push old music through our children's ear against their will. Like... WTF? The article is pretty much as good as Miley Cyrus' behavior. More than making me laugh, it's making me sad. The author has just made people's opinions even more fake and hateful. He/she disgusts me.

So, yeah, I might have generalized too much. I just don't like your article Anxious

...that said, considering the name of the blog, it might just be a joke. I don't know. In the comments, people seem to take it seriously, though.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 09/05/2013 20:49
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Making noises with your mouth, a turntable, or any other makeshift noisemaker has never been popular with people who know what music is supposed to sound like.

Quote:
My daughter thinks DJs are musicians. They’re not. They’re thieves who make 30 million a year and bang models.

Quote:
what the articles author is trying to say is the “music” today is not music. its shit. shitty, shitty shit.

Quote:
Music is shitty (if you can even call it music) and it’s not about comparing how we feel about this garbage to what our parents thought about music from previous eras, this stuff is truly distasteful and disrespectful to ALL people. Great post and those who are contrary are posers, just like today’s so called “musicians” and “singers.”

Quote:
The greatest musicians of all time wore three piece suits and stood perfectly still while they sang.

Quote:
Remember “call me maybe”? That was a year ago, where is Carly Rae now? Can she even play a concert today?

Gold in the comments too. The last one still stings.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/05/2013 21:24
  • Post subject:
Quote:
My daughter thinks DJs are musicians. They’re not. They’re thieves who make 30 million a year and bang models.

I think I've just found my future career.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 09/05/2013 21:31
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
Quote:

I think I've just found my future career.

You spin me right round right round like a record... Anxious
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/05/2013 21:45
  • Post subject:
I'm going for the general topic. Parents can influence their children by playing their music from ages newborn to ten plus around the house, in the car, etc. Children will undeniably be influenced by the music played in their growing years. Children will always break free and think the current generations' music is the best for some years... no stopping that. Once your children begin to lose their elitism, maybe then you can talk to them about your favorites or what they might like... ultimatly though... music is always a personal journey. Music nerds do not necessarily beget music nerds though
Kiki

• Posted: 09/05/2013 21:50
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:
I'm going for the general topic. Parents can influence their children by playing their music from ages newborn to ten plus around the house, in the car, etc. Children will undeniably be influenced by the music played in their growing years. Children will always break free and think the current generations' music is the best for some years... no stopping that. Once your children begin to lose their elitism, maybe then you can talk to them about your favorites or what they might like... ultimatly though... music is always a personal journey. Music nerds do not necessarily beget music nerds though

You know, I am hardly influenced by what I heard as a child. I only remember Elvis Presley played explicitly and have never sought the hits collection I remember played all the time. Think Do you remember your parents playing more music?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2013 21:53
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:

...and you can't force music down your children's throats. And you certainly can't tell them that what they listen to is shitty. Unless you WANT them to listen to the opposite of what you'd prefer for them. How much you can influence what direction they go in depends on the presentation. It must be done with respect, or it goes nowhere. And part of that respect falls in being open to the direction their musical journey takes them in.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website