Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 10/16/2014 00:26
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Any chance somebody could dislike a record without it being as a result of their musical ignorance or inexperience? Like they don't actually really give a shit what the genre of a particular record is, and they don't find it unpalatable in a genre sense, but they just really hate it because they don't think it's very good, or that it misses its mark and fails in what it tries to achieve? That the genre elements (the noise, in this case) aren't what they disliked, but rather just the artist's particular approach? Or is that everybody who dislikes Pharmakon does so because they just don't understand noise like you do?

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as condescending or patronizing. But yeah, it's completely possible for even noise fans to dislike Pharmakon. But I do think familiarity and experience with abstract/anti-music movements such as noise and others does play a big role in things. To not like something on impulse/instinct isn't something to be discredited, but I do think truly understanding the art helps a lot of perception. I mean the only reason I got into noise was because I was trying to figure out what I was fascinated by when I listened to Wolf Eyes, Merzbow (and even noise pop/shoegaze/noise rock artists I was listening to).

But I'm certain some people who dislike Pharmakon and others does so because they just don't understand noise in general.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/17/2014 09:19
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Any chance somebody could dislike a record without it being as a result of their musical ignorance or inexperience? Like they don't actually really give a shit what the genre of a particular record is, and they don't find it unpalatable in a genre sense, but they just really hate it because they don't think it's very good...

I would say yes.

Anyway... onto (a slightly delayed report on) Day 4.

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. Dropped boy off then a burning question popped in my head alongside the usual worry about how horrific the M25 was going to be. That question - just who IS William Onyeabor? I just had to find out...

World Psychedelic Classics 5: Who Is Wi...m Onyeabor

The answer - William Onyeabor is one funky fucker. Now I may be (very) wrong here but I have a sneaking suspicion it was Mecca who first suggested listening to this Nigerian musical pioneer a while back, and whilst I've dipped in and out of this (essentially greatest hits) LP for a month or so this has been the first chance I've had to listen to it from start to finish (given that I know the journey to work is going to take well over an hour). The first 3 tracks are all zingers - Atomic Bomb being a personal fave, and Good Name (also ace) reminds me (production-wise) of the Bollywood-style funk that films such as Don had running throughout their soundtracks. I'm surprised M.I.A. hasn't tried to rip-off Let's Fall In Love wholesale yet. A fantastic find, this record - mantra-like funk and disco, hypnotic and utterly, utterly compelling. I fucking love it.

work work work work work work until the way home... and with the M40 closed it's gonna be a long one. Starting with...

The Nightmare Of J.B. Stanislas by Nick Garrie

A bit of (proper) Baroque pop for the first part of the journey home - and it's a goody (as well as currently being in my all-time 100). Il y a a very definite Gallic flair holding this LP together, despite Garrie being English - think along the lines of Where Do You Go To My Lovely? and you're part-way there. I liken it to an amble through Parisian walkways with a waif-like Audrey Hepburn-type on my arm, smoking Gitanes and wearing a tweed suit, albeit with the constant threat of being occasionally accosted by Benny Hill at the most inopportune moment lingering large (listen to "Package Tours" and you'll see what I mean).

I stumbled upon this LP thanks to my love of the Spanish indie-pop label Elefant Records, who have released both Spanish language indie-pop (Juniper Moon, La Caza Azul) in the past as well as albums by Camera Obscura and Helen Love. Well anyway, they decided to re-master and re-release this long-lost 60s pop gem, penned by Garrie and recorded with either the most nasal voice in history or a stinking cold (I can't work out which). It goes without saying that I adore this, even though it does contain perhaps one of the more abhorrent pieces of music I've ever come across in the pastiche track Queen of Queens. Otherwise, if you like Nirvana (the 60s UK version, not Kurt and his buddies), Village Green-era Kinks or quaint 60s French pop you're going to love it. Picks - title track, David's Prayer, Ink Pot Eyes, Little Bird, Deeper Tones of Blue.

More follows in a tick. Sister-in-law is getting married today and it's all a bit hectic...
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 10/17/2014 11:12
  • Post subject:
I think I say that every time, but this might be my new favorite ULL haha. Truly awesome recs here, thanks a lot! Also I had never heard of Nick Garrie before, but you can't say UK Nirvana and Kinks without hyping me so it's the new on-top-of-the-listening-list record. And yeah that Delahaye record is incredible, I had found it on RYM on the lovers rock page. It would certainly make my overall if I had one.

Yeah I had forgotten I had added the punk comp to the database, it's indeed very great! I strongly disagree with the fact that it's by far the best of the trilogy though, as my favorite is actually the proto-punk one. I've not heard the British one yet, but I don't think it's too risky to say it's about as awesome as the other two.

You seem really fascinated by France though, you never stop talking about it! Laughing Have you lived here? Also, considering he doesn't appear on any of your charts, may I ask if you know Georges Brassens? You seem to understand some French, so you may love him as much as I do. He's a superstar here, but I have no idea how well-known he is abroad. I personally have just discovered his music (a shame, I know, but I just don't know anything about French music) and it's beyond amazing. His debut is the most acclaimed, no idea if it's his best but it has Le Gorille and it's only 20 minute long so it can't be a bad thing:

1ère Série : Georges Brassens Chante ...s Brassens

But yeah, it's been a great read, please keep on Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/18/2014 20:13
  • Post subject:
Sorry all - been a bit slack getting back to completing this. Not long back from a family wedding and feeling somewhat the worse for wear...

Drak - cheers for the comments. I haven't heard of Georges Brassens before but I think I'll be giving him a listen soon based on your rec. We'll have to agree to disagree on the Punk 45 albums - I thought the Proto-Punk was comfortably the weakest of the bunch. The blue-covered one (covering UK acts) is good too, especially 32 Weeks by The Mekons (sample lyric - "IT TAKES 12 WEEKS OF YOUR LIFE TO BUY A MATTRESS!!").

Anyway, back to the tail end of Day 4. So when I last left you I was stuck on the M25 thanks to the M40 being closed off London bound. Traffic at a standstill, and with Nick Garrie freshly finished it was time for a ping-pong-post-punk-party...

Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall

Grotesque (After The Gramme) by The Fall

Perverted By Language by The Fall

I've always loved The Fall, especially their early 80s period (from Grotesque to Wonderful and Frightening World). I'm often surprised to see how well TNSG does around these parts - it's a good album, but for humour, vitriol and abrasiveness (all 3 which make The Fall the glorious institution the are) Grotesque and Hex are much more entertaining listens. In fact my top five Fall moments can be found in the grooves of the above 3 LPs - Eat Y'self Fitter, English Scheme, Fortress/Deer Park, New Face In Hell and Winter. Container Drivers would be no.7, with Leave The Capitol (on Slates) slotting in at no.6, if anyone's bothered.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/18/2014 20:29
  • Post subject:
Day 5/6

So, being at a wedding doesn't give you much opportunity to listen to music in the same way as I've been able to during daily commutes throughout the working week. However, being a music geek I often find opportunities to indulge at the most inopportune moments, as was the case yesterday when noWaxJnr decided to spend most of my sister-in-law's wedding ceremony eating choc chip cookies and making barking noises. I had to take him out back to play with a train set, and with this room being quiet albeit with good acoustics (tested by my son shouting "CAR" as loud as he could) it gave me the perfect opportunity to pull out my phone and drop the following to a select audience of 2...

Various Artists - Hustle! Reggae Disco

You've probably gathered by now if you've been following this ULL from the start that I am rather fond of Soul Jazz compilations. Again, this is no exception - disco/soul tunes done in a reggae stylee. Well, I say reggae - it's more Lovers Rock really, although there is a cover of Rapper's Delight on it (made all the more odd as I also have another reggae cover of the same track by a different artist on another similar compilation called "Tropical Disco Hustle" - let me know if you want to hear it!). The undisputed stand-out here has got to be Carol Cool's take on Diana Ross' Upside Down - not exactly appropriate music for listening to in a church hall, but what they hey. Next time you're in a place of worship feel free to indulge...

Link

Since then it's all been about drinks, speeches, Dad dancing and listening to a wedding band playing everything from Twist and Shout to Jump Around. Suffice it to say the free bar (thanks to my Father-in-Law) was a much better place to hang out. I've only just got back home and over my hangover, so I may give a couple of records a spin before turning in. If I do... I'll let you know. Keep skanking.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/18/2014 21:37
  • Post subject:
Day 6 cont...

Match Of The Day is on in 30 minutes - looking forward to seeing what supposedly is 'one of the best own-goals ever' according to the BBC website when Santiago Vergini volleyed passed his own keeper in the Saints-Mackems game. Tonight's listening has been inspired by mes amis français, with un grand 'merci beaucoup' to Drak for the first of ce soir's selections...

1ère Série : Georges Brassens Chante ...s Brassens

I do have a fascination with French music, although my knowledge of it is rather limited. As well as Paix by Catherine Ribiero et Alpes being in my all-time 100, I love Serge's Histoire De Melody Nelson and the 2 Wizzz compliations, but far short of that I need to expand my collection. Although mon français est pas mal, it's usually the atmosphere of French recordings that provide the biggest appeal - the ability to mentally escape the humdrum of little England to the streets of Paris often fills my heart with joy. And that is EXACTLY what listening to this LP does for me. I'll confess that it's not going to get me ripping my charts up to include it, but it's perfect for a lazy Saturday evening when the wife's watching the fucking X Factor, especially when you have songs about a little horse, an umbrella and a gorilla. I might watch The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg tomorrow - I adore that film...

However, it's in the next of tonight's discoveries I find the most pleasure...

Pierre Bensusan - Près de Paris

What a find! Bumped into this on a blog and compelled by a description calling this chap "the French Nick Drake" piqued my interest enough to hunt this album down on Spotify. I don't think the description's overly accurate - the folk here is a lot more trad-English, and the finger-picking style closer to classic folk (such as John Renbourn, Roy Harper or even Bert Jansch) than Drake and all his odd tunings. The instrumental opening track is just heavenly, and soon after followed by mixture of songs sung in English and French. This LP is going to take a lot of listening to extract as much as I can out of it, but if you have to take a punt on anything I've mentioned over the last couple of days I'd certainly give this a whirl. Picks - "Dame Lombarde", "Le Lac de Abbesses", et "Près de Paris".

Bon nuit.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/19/2014 18:44
  • Post subject:
Day 7

I was going to start this with a list of other stuff I'd listened to at various points of the week, such as yesterday when I put Nevermind on for a drive down the shops. But that would be very dull so I haven't bothered. Instead here's what's been on the stereo today whilst I've been doing all the mundane Sunday things such as the gardening and so forth...

Stargazer by Shelagh McDonald

Partly thanks to being in a folky mood after last night's after-hours session avec Pierre Bensusan, and following a conversation with a member formerly of these shores the other day I decided to give this long-lost 1971 nugget a first spin for quite some time. I first came across Shelagh McDonald on a fantastic compilation called Gather In The Mushrooms - after releasing 2 albums in the early 70s (which are part way between Anne Briggs and Joni Mitchell) she had one too many bad trips, went all Syd and disappeared into the forests. This is the second of her two releases, and comfortably the best. Perfect for putting on for a warm Autumnal evening with roast chicken in the oven. Picks - "Liz's Song", "Lonely King", "Stargazer".

Time to change the mood, thanks to an album I consistently see riding high in JoD's charts...

Liumin by Deepchord Presents Echospace

First listen. I and I know my (70s JA) dub pretty well, and I've loved (proper, i.e. Detroit/90s) techno for years, but dub techno is not a genre I've overtly familiar with. So I've decided to chuck myself straight in to a record which comes with a BEA seal of approval to see if the sum is as good as the parts. And you know what? This ain't instant stuff at all - I'm going to have to live with this record for a good few listens to really get it, especially as the opening track sounds like a field recording that someone put on my mistake. The beats are warm and squelchy, although buried under an ambient glow much like the musical equivalent of a Sausage Roll. As someone who's always been keen on EDM I can dance to (with the odd exception, such as Boards of Canada) and whilst you've got a couple of tracks I'd bust some shapes to quite happily (BCN Dub, Maglev - which along with Float are my faves on first listen) this is a little outside my usual scope, but I tell you what - I can see myself listening to this driving through Central London in the dark. It's as moody as fuck. Ask me in a month what I think and I'll tell you then...

I couldn't end this ULL without a bit of reggae, so inspired by being name-dropped by one of my staff right back on day one, I bring you...

Twinkle Brothers - Dub Massacre

Well, I'm a tit. For years I've written off the Twinkle Brothers output then all of a sudden I decide to chuck this on and it is BLOODY AWESOME. In fact it's one of the best Mad Professor dub sets I've ever heard, almost on a par with the Dub Me Crazy series. Recorded in the UK and Jamaica, mixed to perfection, effects that sound like they've been stolen out of Joe Gibbs and The Professionals' toy box. Skinny, if you're reading this fella - seriously, download this shit. It's heavy, thick and fat (with a capital PH). In a week of decent finds, this may well be the one... and I had to wait until the end of the week to hear it. New starter at work is so getting a pay rise.

That's it. Off to play 5-a-side in a tick, so pub then bed after signing off here. Hope you've enjoyed it - cheers for the comments, it's been a pleasure. Laters.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/20/2014 06:58
  • Post subject:
The main information from all this is that the English road system is appalling. Don't drive in England. Swim around it to reach your destination.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/20/2014 07:00
  • Post subject:
Jim, what we need is a plug.dj app! Imagine being stuck on the Mwhatev and plugging in for a bit? Splendid! I'd do the same in the Paris underground, pretty much the equivalent of British roads, and we'd get mad kicks out of commuting.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
The main information from all this is that the English road system is appalling. Don't drive in England. Swim around it to reach your destination.

Too true Norm. Unfortunately not a viable option for me as I only learnt to swim about 7 years ago and still haven't managed to get my 25m badge.

Still, being stuck on motorways gives me plenty of time to indulge in listening to music, so not all bad really.
  • Visit poster's website