The Genre you call home...?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:02
  • Post subject: Re: The Genre you call home...?
Skinny wrote:
notsureifserious

I guess it's hard to take seriously if I'm speaking more about the subgenres than the true electronic sound.
undefined

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:06
JMan wrote:
I guess it's hard to take seriously if I'm speaking more about the subgenres than the true electronic sound.

I think it's more that historically you're way more of a rock guy so this is kind of a confusing statement, and also that "electronic" isn't a genre
JMan

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:15
dividesbyzero wrote:
I think it's more that historically you're way more of a rock guy so this is kind of a confusing statement, and also that "electronic" isn't a genre

I guess you're right. I have been steering away from rock for a while, though.

If I had to pick one of the many kinds of electronic music, though, I guess trip hop would be my home genre. Yeah, it is. I might not have heard a full chart's worth, but sometimes I'll just stop my music buzz and go for one of my favorite trip hop albums, usually a Gorillaz one. When I listen to trip hop, I really do feel home and I'm not sure why. it's true I'm more of a rock guy, but the goal here wasn't to find a favorite genre. I can't say it was rock music that helped me explore other kinds of music. I'm very serious about my Daft Punk comment. I loved RAM and Discovery on my first listens, and I've gotten into a little vaporwave, quite a bit of synth pop, more brostep than most people, a little trip-hop, and more.

Heck, every time I listen to electronic music styles, I'm reminded of how far I've gotten in my music days and I think of how much more there is to explore.

But yeah, a home genre for me could be trip hop. I'll listen to some trip hop that I haven't heard today in order to verify this. I'm not 100% positive my home genre is trip hop, but I don't think it could be rock because that's what I've listened to my whole life, and it doesn't excite me as much as it used to.
joyofdivision

• Posted: 02/11/2015 20:16
  • Post subject:
When I'm weary, I'll kick back with a cup of cocoa and only the finest jazz metal will soothe my pain.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/11/2015 20:19
  • Post subject:
I want to say rock because that's what I grew up listening to... but sometimes nothing feels more like home than soul music.
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/11/2015 20:22
  • Post subject:
Emo and pop punk can pretty much make me feel comfortable in any situation. Certain groups in other genres do this as well, including irish folk music, indie rock, latin alternative, and jazz
Pavement415

• Posted: 02/11/2015 20:24
  • Post subject:
Warm and fuzzy lofi
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/11/2015 21:05
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I'm a wandering nomad

I do sometimes wish I had a home though Neutral
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/11/2015 21:11
  • Post subject:
This is difficult, but if home = safety, comfort, rejuvenation, etc. its twee pop. That basically just means kyooo, the Motifs, and Sleep Away Your Troubles by The Softies. things like Talulah Gosh and Tiger Trap are a different sort of twee pop, they're not home. Electropop isn't actually home. Grimes and Charli XCX are a distant land. Bikini Kill and Team Dresch are a map to that land. Motion Sickness of Time Travel and Giles Corey is what I need to reach Grimes-land spiritually as well as physically. Regina Spektor and Orion Rigel Dommisse are curios, things to play with as I travel. kinda lost the genre aspect of it, but you know...
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/11/2015 21:16
  • Post subject:
Twee Folk Dub from Brazil
  • Visit poster's website