Beatles cover version that u prefer to the original.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 06/30/2017 17:34
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
My Top 3 would be

Elton John: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Siouxie & the Banshees: Dear Prudence (although Helter Skelter is pretty good too)
John Denver: Mother Nature’s Son

All of them amazing. Elton John’s version is so Elton John-like that it is almost a parody. But brilliant. And after hearing John Denver you would swear that the Beatles must have covered him.

(And by the way, for me one of the worst songs of all time and certainly the worst Beatles cover is Joe Cocker’s crime. - And I love to hear Ringo singing the song.)

Agreed. Ringo is wonderful on that song, and its one of the Beatles best composed songs.
And i also prefer Elton John's Pinball Wizard to the original Who. Its a great record.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer
  • Posted: 06/30/2017 18:45
  • Post subject:

Link

This is pretty good.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/05/2017 12:59
  • Post subject:
By a country mile:

Link

Pretty much everything The Skatalites touched got turned into gold. Bless up.
  • Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 13:20
  • Post subject:
Probably Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help from My Friends." Ringo's is cute, but Cocker really does something fresh and groundbreaking with it.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 13:27
  • Post subject:
Groundbreaking? Indeed. Fresh? I don’t know.
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 13:38
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Groundbreaking? Indeed. Fresh? I don’t know.

I know. By 1969 , there was nothing particularly new or groundbreaking about Soul or Hard Rock covers of Beatles songs. They were a dime a dozen. And considering that the Beatles greatness lies in their songwriting and their great melodies, it really does nothing for the song to dispose of the melody like most of these versions did. If you were unfamiliar with The Beatles original version, there's no way you would have liked Joe Cocker's version. The only reason people liked it is because they knew it was a great song originally.
  • Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 15:22
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I know. By 1969 , there was nothing particularly new or groundbreaking about Soul or Hard Rock covers of Beatles songs. They were a dime a dozen. And considering that the Beatles greatness lies in their songwriting and their great melodies, it really does nothing for the song to dispose of the melody like most of these versions did. If you were unfamiliar with The Beatles original version, there's no way you would have liked Joe Cocker's version. The only reason people liked it is because they knew it was a great song originally.

It's actually from 1968 (the single came out before the LP), which makes a big difference, considering how revolutionary 1969 was for music. What's so terrible about the cover? The compositional depth and development is great, and Cocker beautifully brings a power to the song that Ringo's twee version doesn't have. A lot of Beatles covers sound mostly like carbon copies of the original or just poppified in some way, but Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends" is opposite in both respects.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 15:30
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
It's actually from 1968 (the single came out before the LP), which makes a big difference, considering how revolutionary 1969 was for music. What's so terrible about the cover? The compositional depth and development is great, and Cocker beautifully brings a power to the song that Ringo's twee version doesn't have. A lot of Beatles covers sound mostly like carbon copies of the original or just poppified in some way, but Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends" is opposite in both respects.

Tell the truth, which one would u rather hum, or sing?
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 15:42
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

I guess one has to accept that there are people out there who really prefer Joe’s version to Ringo’s. Besides being a strange fact, I also think it is kind of disrespectful towards Ringo. But that does not alter the fact.
Infinity183

United States
  • Posted: 07/05/2017 16:13
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

If we're going primarily by the standards of which songs are easiest to sing along with, then cheesy pop like the Osmonds, the Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls smoke artistic giants like Bob Dylan, King Crimson, and Lou Reed.

Don't get me wrong, I actually love the Beatles version of "With a Little Help from My Friends," but I also really adore the cover by Joe Cocker because it brings out a whole new, layered song in an already brilliant composition. Unlike Billy J. Kramer's cover of "Do You Want to Know a Secret" or Wet Wet Wet's version of "Yesterday," for example, Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends" is intended to be appreciated in a completely different light from its source. It's one thing to be deligtfully bubbly while still being subtly complex, but that's not to say you can also produce something profound by intermixing some electric organs, distorted guitars, drums that build and fade; a gravely, soulful vocal performance; a choir counter-track, and a steady, deliberately phrased, raw arrangement and feel all together
  • Visit poster's website