Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 12:39
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I don't understand; is it earnest or is it pretentious?

Razz

I'm not kidding when I say it's earnestly pretentious. It's so in love with these very General-Specific (like in Sheep in the Big City) abstract ideas that it clearly isn't even able to wrap its head around, and it's so unafraid to keep that focus until the very end, even if it looks silly. Both Nolan and Pink Floyd have plenty of "bad" moments in their careers because of this conceptual myopia, but it gives us something so unique and human that I think it's an essential kind of art.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/17/2015 13:03
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Razz

I'm not kidding when I say it's earnestly pretentious. It's so in love with these very General-Specific (like in Sheep in the Big City) abstract ideas that it clearly isn't even able to wrap its head around, and it's so unafraid to keep that focus until the very end, even if it looks silly. Both Nolan and Pink Floyd have plenty of "bad" moments in their careers because of this conceptual myopia, but it gives us something so unique and human that I think it's an essential kind of art.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. Aiming for the stars but falling a little short (or even making a complete tit of yourself) isn't necessarily anything to be ashamed of.
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 08/17/2015 16:01
  • Post subject:
I had written a whole paragraph a bit angry about some comments out here, but I think it's better if I just point out that the "mid-late" era Pink Floyd (from Meddle to the Wall), and especially Dark Side of the Moon, is valued really highly in BEA and outside BEA (including many bands which came after) so it shouldn't be treated so badly as it is in this topic, calling it soft rock or, if I understand correctly, saying part of it was aiming for the stars and failing.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 16:27
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Applerill wrote:
meccalecca wrote:
Mies wrote:

With the classic-era (since Meddle i'd say), PF reached a particular soft-rock sound, very personal, that had two problems: 1. from when they reached it, they kept playing it without trying to change it anymore.

I think that's a bit unfair to say. There's a pretty significant change in sound, style, lyrical approach from Meddle to Dark Side to Wish You Were Here to Animals to The Wall.

Yeah, love or hate Animals and The Wall, you can't call them "soft rock" like you can maybe call DSOTM. The problem people have with them is that they're basically Christopher Nolan movies on vinyl, and no serious cinephile wants to be found out as a Christopher Nolan fan. That being said, I think there's more than a place in art for that sort of preachy, concept-obsessed nerd-pop (heck, I believe even Ayn Rand succeeded here with Anthem).

Rolling Eyes

Okay, there are a lot of teenagers who brag about loving Christopher Nolan, but even as someone who has Interstellar as one of his favorite movies ever, I really hope people don't define my movie taste by liking him. I think mid-era Pink Floyd is the same way: The music is really uncool and pretentious, but I think there's something really special to that earnestness.

Okay this makes a lot more sense. I was about to say, "But the Prestige..".

To sorta add to this topic, as well as vent about my issue with people who "like" Pink Floyd:

As someone who is just out of his teenage years, I could identify as someone who ONCE went along with the stoners (okay maybe I shouldn't generalize that much, so we'll say 'those who don't take music very seriously') when they would boast, "Yeah dude, Pink Floyd is the shit", which of course translates to "I listened to Dark Side on a trip once and I listen to Comfortably Numb once in a while." And that was all they cared to listen to because it was about the image of the Dark Side of the Moon album cover.

I think Pink Floyd is one of the artists that has somewhat of an exploited image only because of a one part of their catalog or history. I see people all the time with Floyd shirts that they probably just got at Walmart, (see also: Hendrix and Marley) and I know they haven't listened to more than the 4 or 5 singles they bought on iTunes. They've never once processed the idea that The Piper At The Gates of Dawn is psychedelic, heavenly music and something like the Wall is something totally different but just as earnest.

Whether that adds to the initial Chris Nolan topic or not, I've wanted to get the Walmart fans topic off of my chest.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 16:31
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
I had written a whole paragraph a bit angry about some comments out here, but I think it's better if I just point out that the "mid-late" era Pink Floyd (from Meddle to the Wall), and especially Dark Side of the Moon, is valued really highly in BEA and outside BEA (including many bands which came after) so it shouldn't be treated so badly as it is in this topic, calling it soft rock or, if I understand correctly, saying part of it was aiming for the stars and failing.

I agree with this too, big time. Meddle to The Wall is one of the greatest eras for any musical artist in history. Obviously a lot of the early stuff is great too, but Meddle to the Wall shouldn't be automatically overlooked or scoffed at because it's really popular. That's just as ignorant as overlooking a band's work that isn't as popular for fear of it not being as good.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:15
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Applerill wrote:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Applerill wrote:
[qu ote="meccalecca"]
Mies wrote:

With the classic-era (since Meddle i'd say), PF reached a particular soft-rock sound, very personal, that had two problems: 1. from when they reached it, they kept playing it without trying to change it anymore.

I think that's a bit unfair to say. There's a pretty significant change in sound, style, lyrical approach from Meddle to Dark Side to Wish You Were Here to Animals to The Wall.

Yeah, love or hate Animals and The Wall, you can't call them "soft rock" like you can maybe call DSOTM. The problem people have with them is that they're basically Christopher Nolan movies on vinyl, and no serious cinephile wants to be found out as a Christopher Nolan fan. That being said, I think there's more than a place in art for that sort of preachy, concept-obsessed nerd-pop (heck, I believe even Ayn Rand succeeded here with Anthem).

Rolling Eyes

Okay, there are a lot of teenagers who brag about loving Christopher Nolan, but even as someone who has Interstellar as one of his favorite movies ever, I really hope people don't define my movie taste by liking him. I think mid-era Pink Floyd is the same way: The music is really uncool and pretentious, but I think there's something really special to that earnestness.

Okay this makes a lot more sense. I was about to say, "But the Prestige..".

To sorta add to this topic, as well as vent about my issue with people who "like" Pink Floyd:

As someone who is just out of his teenage years, I could identify as someone who ONCE went along with the stoners (okay maybe I shouldn't generalize that much, so we'll say 'those who don't take music very seriously') when they would boast, "Yeah dude, Pink Floyd is the shit", which of course translates to "I listened to Dark Side on a trip once and I listen to Comfortably Numb once in a while." And that was all they cared to listen to because it was about the image of the Dark Side of the Moon album cover.

I think Pink Floyd is one of the artists that has somewhat of an exploited image only because of a one part of their catalog or history. I see people all the time with Floyd shirts that they probably just got at Walmart, (see also: Hendrix and Marley) and I know they haven't listened to more than the 4 or 5 singles they bought on iTunes. They've never once processed the idea that The Piper At The Gates of Dawn is psychedelic, heavenly music and something like the Wall is something totally different but just as earnest.

Whether that adds to the initial Chris Nolan topic or not, I've wanted to get the Walmart fans topic off of my chest.[/quote]

I know what you're saying, but now a lot of non-fans wear DSOTM shirts ironically (I just went out with a girl last week who did that), and there's nothing wrong with the fashionizing of great music (even if it becomes a meme in the process).

(Speaking of wearing shirts ironically, the other day I found my super-Christian aunt Cora wearing a shirt that said "I need a stiff one", and it made me giggle and wonder if she knew what that phrase meant.
  • Visit poster's website
syroanalord55

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:19
  • Post subject:
Dadrockers are crying, omg.

dadrockers you own the world, there are more dadrockers than any other kind of dumbass in the world

in a thousand years when hotel california and stairway to heaven and that boston song are still being played on every dadrocker radio station, there will be all kinds of dadrockers saying classic rock was the best music ever

eat a dick

ofcourse dadrockers don't like this, dadrockers can only listen to dadrock and country music

god could come down to earth and make the best album ever and it won't sell any albums

he has already done it, he made 4 of autechre's albums and white people don't like them

musically piper is great, some of the tracks are pwned for me because of the vocals but oh well

of course dadrockers aren't going to like it, it isn't dadrock
  • Visit poster's website
syroanalord55

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:26
  • Post subject:
you fkn poons wonder why i am mad?

dadrockers are so selfish

like i said they can only listen to dadrock and country and blues

if anything else is on they cry

they can only listen to .0004 percent of the music in the world and if anything else is on they cry
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:29
  • Post subject:
syroanalord55 wrote:

they can only listen to .0004 percent of the music in the world and if anything else is on they cry

^This guy needs to make a chart soon before he gets banned.
  • Visit poster's website
syroanalord55

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:32
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
syroanalord55 wrote:

^This guy needs to make a chart soon before he gets banned.

is your dad a dadrocker or any of your uncles or are they dead

play this for them, they will cry, they will get the heebeegeebees, their assholes will close up
  • Visit poster's website