Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 11:37
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Only the title song sounds like a Rolling Stones song, but even that's a very Bowie-ish thing to do. And by saying it's his most Bowie- ish album I meant like its theatrical nature, and the way it's a semi concept album like Ziggy, and the futurism that he likes, and the Glam Rocky decadence that he used to like to sing about. And all the apocalyptic crap that he likes. And all the weird pervy characters that are on many of his albums. It's just the most Bowie-ish thing in the world. And each song is compelling in a different way.

Laughing OK. Good defence. Though I find a lot of Bowie's 70s stuff really sounds like Bowie lol.

Quote:
Teenage wildlife and up the hill backwards are pretty good besides the other two that I like, but the rest are just too slight of songs and just don't make any impression on me at all. They sound like rejects from Lodger. Which is a much better album that nobody seems to like very much. The really only great one is ashes to ashes I think.

Well I agree that Ashes to Ashes is the standout. I just think find the rest of the album really good fun as well. Bowie trundling down the middle of road, but with one of his best sets of tunes. I need to hear Lodger again. I think I read that the latest reissue sounds pretty different to before and people think its an improvement. I quite liked it when I heard it before. Probably a good time to check it out again.

That's exactly what I meant!!! It's more 70s-Bowie-stuff than any of his other 70s Bowie stuff!! Ha ha ha.! It's the most Bowie!! Lol.
It's also the coolest music he ever made too.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 03/02/2018 13:28
  • Post subject:
Fishmans:
Overrated:Long Season. It's a great, though flawed album that deserves lots of love. But it's not the group's best. And the fact that the live version on 98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare is way better kinda lowers the value of the studio version.

Underrated: Uchū Nippon Setagaya. Their best studio album IMO and one of my favourite albums of all time. I hope this one gets more love as time goes on.

Kendrick Lamar:
Overrated: DAMN. I like the album, but it's not the masterpiece that some people are claiming it to be. It has some serious flaws among the good stuff.

Underrated: untitled unmastered. Unfairly overlooked, seemingly just for the fact that it is a leftover album from To Pimp a Butterfly. It's like a less intense and more relaxed version of that album with the same delicious jazz and funk instrumentation.

Black Sabbath:
Overrated: Black Sabbath. Don't get me wrong, this is a great debut, but it doesn't deserve to be constantly ranked among the best of the best from the band. They have done many better albums.

Underrated: Sabotage. I do not understand why so many people dislike this album. Some even going as far as to compare it to the two awful albums that came after it. I think it is one of their very best albums. It's probably the group's rawest and darkest album, and tracks like "Hole in the Sky", "Symptom of the Universe", and "Megalomania" are prime examples and are some of the group's hardest tracks. I also love the underrated, poppy and synth-heavy "Am I Going Insane (Radio)". "Supertzar" is one of the group's dumbest moments and is unforgivable though.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 17:27
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Bowie
Underrated: Heroes (yes, I know it's widely popular but it's as good as Low imo)

Fuckin this.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 18:26
  • Post subject:
Ok I need to do this as well.

Sade
Overrated: Diamond Life. Excellent record. One of the best albums of the 80's. But not there best.
Underrated: Either Love Deluxe or Lover's Rock. Honestly some of the best albums of 92 and 2000 respectfully. These two to me fell like they were cutting edge for there time and still are.

George Michael
Overrated: Faith. Fun pop record from the 80's. But feels very part of that time. And I don't if it is just my copy but the sound is a lot lower.
Underrated: Either Older or Patience. Older is his magnum opus as well as my personal top 10 of 1996 at this moment of time. While Patience is his most interesting work in his small catalog and one of the best albums of 2004.

Will post another comment on this thread after I come back from work. Or might edit this comment.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 18:51
  • Post subject:
Overrated:

Sign 'O' The Times by Prince

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/02/2018 21:28
  • Post subject:
I used to think that Little Big Town was good, but for the past few years they have become over rated in my opinion. Getting awards still even when they do not have the radio presence to back up them wins, to me, is not fair to those who have been able to maintain consistent radio play. They were just nominated again for ACM Group Of The Year and if they get it, what does that say to the other four nominated groups who have been all over the radio with their more recently released songs?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. Little Big Town's last big song was "Better Man" which got released a year and a half ago. The two that have been released since then, "Happy People" and "When Someone Stops Loving You" that is, were barely able to crack the top 40.

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 21:49
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
Overrated:

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

Well, so much for that George Harrison being the worst album cover ever!
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2018 22:06
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
glynspsa wrote:
Overrated:

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

Right on. Ha ha ha. Prince is the most repulsive star ever. Right down to his album covers.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2018 07:52
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
glynspsa wrote:
Overrated:

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

Right on. Ha ha ha. Prince is the most repulsive star ever. Right down to his album covers.

I've seen you mention a displeasure for Prince in a few different threads. No big deal obviously, and I may have asked before, but just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you don't like about him?

As for the Lovesexy album cover, yeah that's not necessarily my cup of tea. But as for the Sign O The Times record cover, that's an amazing album cover. It's like a more detailed Blonde on Blonde cover.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2018 08:20
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
glynspsa wrote:
Overrated:

Underrated:

Lovesexy by Prince

I've seen you mention a displeasure for Prince in a few different threads. No big deal obviously, and I may have asked before, but just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you don't like about him?

As for the Lovesexy album cover, yeah that's not necessarily my cup of tea. But as for the Sign O The Times record cover, that's an amazing album cover. It's like a more detailed Blonde on Blonde cover.

Yeah, Sign of the Times is a good album cover.
I just think Prince's music was the most stilted and forced-sounding music there could be. And I think it's ugly music. Basically, to me, he falls into the category of "Tries Too Hard". Some of the major, really popular Stars make music that just hits me this way. Of course that's probably a major reason that they're popular. You can hear them stressing and straining to be important. And their music seems all hyped up and pumped up in order to sound better than it really is. I don't know, artist like that are just a complete turn-off to me. And usually a lot of the major artists that are praised as being "natural" talents are the worst offenders. And to me their music sounds stilted and forced and hyped up. And for some reason their music just strikes me as ugly and unmusical.
  • Visit poster's website