Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 03:18
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Great work Suede. some mighty fine records already covered. I think Indie Pop is pretty tough to define, which is why someone like REM might not fit with the rest. Seems like the bands generally regarded as indie pop are mostly British and occasionally Australian. While for some reason some American bands like R.E.M. and the incredible dB's get omitted.

And despite some of his other questionable remarks, JMan brought up another great American Indie Pop group in the 10,000 Maniacs, who had a few really good records.

I never really considered 10,000 Maniacs as an indie pop group; had more in common with a lot of the early alternative rock bands that got a lot of airplay on college rock radio of the era more than the early indie pop stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 04:18
  • Post subject:
A great intro to the genre. The only one you're missing (at least in my book) is The Clientele. They're easily one of the best indie pop groups of the past decade. Suburban Light especially is just incredible. It doesn't sound exaclty like the rest of their discography, mainly in that the vocals on that record were put through an amp, but god, it's a beauty. They remind me a lot of The La's (I would bet "There She Goes Again" was a huge influence). Outside of that minor omission, great job!

Link

Link
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 04:19
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
A great intro to the genre. The only one you're missing (at least in my book) is The Clientele. They're easily one of the best indie pop groups of the past decade. Suburban Light especially is just incredible. It doesn't sound exaclty like the rest of their discography, mainly in that the vocals on that record were put through an amp, but god, it's a beauty. They remind me a lot of The La's (I would bet "There She Goes Again" was a huge influence). Outside of that minor omission, great job!

Link

Link

The Violet Hour by The Clientele

One of the best dream pop releases ever (imo).
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 14:06
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I never really considered 10,000 Maniacs as an indie pop group; had more in common with a lot of the early alternative rock bands that got a lot of airplay on college rock radio of the era more than the early indie pop stuff.

Well you know how i feel about genres. I agree they don't sound like those British indie pop band. They were just Indie + Pop
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 14:20
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:

But... they're 2000s?
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 14:29
  • Post subject:
VERY well done! I thought it'd be pretty difficult to tackle such a broad genre, but you've done quite a thorough job here. Good stuff.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 14:50
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
But... they're 2000s?

Oops, I didn't read the entirety of the top of your original post. Read that and now that makes sense. A majority of the songs that make up Suburban Light were actually recorded and released in the 90s, but were only released together in 2000. That's what I was thinking of.

But once again, thanks for the list. A lot of great records there and a bunch more I need to check out.
LittleM1971

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 16:13
  • Post subject:
First of all a huge well done to SuedeSwede and all those that helped on a really good and very difficult job...great stuff!!!

I do think The Byrds and Early R.E.M should be on the influences list.

And a cheeky request can we have an important record labels section (postcard, Sarah, Subway, Slumberland, Creation etc) added? as I think the label itself was a big part of the whole package...well it was for me Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/27/2015 16:29
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
First of all a huge well done to SuedeSwede and all those that helped on a really good and very difficult job...great stuff!!!

I do think The Byrds and Early R.E.M should be on the influences list.

And a cheeky request can we have an important record labels section (postcard, Sarah, Subway, Slumberland, Creation etc) added? as I think the label itself was a big part of the whole package...well it was for me Smile

Ne'er a truer word spoken, chap. And totally with you on the labels thing.

As for influences, we've all forgotten one MAJOR one...

The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground

That 3rd VU album could very well be the first indie-pop album ever conceived. Try and argue against After Hours being anything but proto-twee. And never has a more pure pop song been written than Pale Blue Eyes. How does it feel to be loved?
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/27/2015 18:32
  • Post subject:
I tried my hardest I swear! Embarassed

I wouldn't do a very good job of a huge list of influences so I just covered some major ones. Anyone can contribute, feel free to make a record label post for yourself, I'll even add it to the OP <3