Aural Autism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 12/06/2015 03:22
  • Post subject:
Definitely this

Salvatore Sciarrino: Orchestral Works b... Della RAI

there are a couple of others I might suggest but this is probably my fave and it's also the only one in the database and seeing as I'm on my phone atm all I can really do with ease is link stuff from that BEA link thing. Might edit in the details for a few more recordings when I get to a computer if you end up liking the above
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2015 03:48
  • Post subject:
Thanks Gabe Smile

Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven by Kid Cudi

.... This is an album we as a music herd need. Remember that band that JMan used to love, Milk Duct Tape? Or if you've hung around high school boys in the past few years, you may have met the occasional "grunge enthusiast". This sort of subculture obviously has a lot that's embarrassing and even problematic about it. As our late member Gigantic once eloquently explained:
Quote:
I had a friend once tell me that "every dead scene is alive and well in one way or another in Toronto, Canada".

I once met Toronto's equivalent of "the grunge scene" at a karaoke bar. All in their mid-30's, none of them had ever had a real job, or a real relationship, and they all lived in Brampton, sporting unironic mullets. They spammed the lineup with grunge deepcuts to which they would humorlessly headbang, when they weren't pouting over the other drunks performing "phoney" pop covers.

They were unable to let time pass, forever playing and listening to the genre of music they played and listened to in high school, exclusively, and living in their own miniature 1994.

That being said, I can't help but admire the special sort of vulnerability that's given to the aesthetic at times (even if done unknowingly). This Kid Cudi album is almost like the grunge revival's Tales of Slipknot Oceans, which simultaneously makes it that world's The Wall. There's just so much catharsis to be felt from these cold riffs that are beaten so hard into the ground for 3-5 minutes at a time, and I think the album is about this very desperation of these revivals, especially from an outsider like Cudi. It's simultaneously unlike anything I've ever heard before and exactly what I wanted from the scene without realizing it.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2015 01:46
  • Post subject:
Hey, do any of you like SLAM DEATH METAL? I've flirted with the genre a few times, but after two albums I listened to today, I am convinced it is the form of extreme metal we'll remember the 2000s for in the next twenty years. The obsessive repetition and silliness almost makes it like a crunk metal, which is nothing short of glorious for me. First off,

The Violence Of The Slams by Crepitation
knocked Kid Cudi off my top ten for the year. I don't know what else to say about it, other than that I haven't had this much fun with death metal since.... ever, now that I think about it.

But people say that Repulsive Display of Human Upholstery by Short Bus Pile Up is the genre's masterwork.

It opens with a great monologue by a geek about losing your virginity, and then it just continues spiraling in both aural and thematic insanity. This may be legit top 100 material, guys. You should check it out.

Do any of you have any slam death metal recs for me? What do Gowi and Rocky think of this subgenre?
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2015 03:32
  • Post subject:
I barely know anything of slam death metal, but of what I do know, here's what I can recommend:

Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies - Cephalotripsy

Perpetual Degradation - Internal Bleeding

Molesting the Decapitated by Devourment

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2015 19:44
  • Post subject:
Okay, so my latest obsession is with a multi-disciplinary artist Naomi Elizabeth. All morning I've been listening to her albums, singles, music videos, and even audiobooks, and she almost seems to be a sarcastic, pop music-obsessed alternative to Miranda July (with a bit of Crack Up at the Race Riots-era Harmony Korine thrown in. Here are five things you should listen to from her.

1. "The Topic Is Ass"

Link

2. "I'd Hit It"

Link

Naomi by Naomi Elizabeth
4. "They Call Me White Chocolate" (a 2015 single)

Link

5. Demo 2009 EP
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2015 18:41
  • Post subject:

Outside by David Bowie

Anyone else convinced that this is his best album? I heard about this all the way back in 2008 when I was obsessed with Nine Inch Nails following my middle school graduation, but I never actually gave it a chance until today. It really is an unforgettable experience from start to finish, and you can definitely see how he was influenced by Trent Reznor.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2015 23:30
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Outside by David Bowie

Anyone else convinced that this is his best album?

No. I greatly prefer his 70s output, but it is definitely undervalued in relation to his discography, and was a huge return after some truly mediocre records in the mid 80s. Also check out Earthling which is probably just as good.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 12/12/2015 23:37
  • Post subject:
I saw on RYM you rated the new David Bowie album that hasn't leaked yet two stars. What didn't you like about it?
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2015 01:04
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I saw on RYM you rated the new David Bowie album that hasn't leaked yet two stars. What didn't you like about it?

Razz Ruh-roh. I've been caught.

I really was unimpressed by the single, and I really thought it did leak (with so many other people rating it), yet I haven't felt like torrenting music lately. I'll remove the rating, even though it doesn't make any less sense that the other people pre-rating it five stars.

Also, Mecca, Earthling was actually the very first David Bowie album I owned. I bought it for $2 around the time I learned of Outside, and I did so only because of Trent Reznor's appearance on "I'm Afraid of Americans". It's a decent record.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2015 00:30
  • Post subject:

The Velvet Underground And Nico by The ...nderground

I have a somewhat interesting history with this masterpiece. When I first discovered it in early high school, I absolutely hated the mixing and how noisy it was. And on my third listen or something, Kiki told me I should "stop trying to like classic albums" or something. So while I discovered the other VU albums over the past half-decade, I mostly set this aside. I was shocked at how good it was when I and a bunch of other BEAers were going through the RYM charts (man, we really failed that project), but now I'm convinced that this is as much of a five-star opus as Kid A (which I hated even more than VU&N back then).
  • Visit poster's website