rose-moles all in stipple

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/24/2016 00:26
  • Post subject: rose-moles all in stipple
Okay okay I'm going to start one of these things. There is so much I've been obsessed with lately so I'll just run through all of them:

IV by Angel'in Heavy Syrup
psychedelic rock that literally cures anxiety (no, it actually helps with it a lot). Painterly sounding guitars, almost. my favourite thing these days. Never thought I'd be so enthusiastic about a psychedelic rock record.

Fright Makes Right by Coughs
"I killed a snake today
I killed a snake today
and I heard a crack
It was its head
I stepped on its head
On its head
Right on its head
I stepped on its head
Right on its head
Yeah on its head!!
Do do do do it!
Waah waah waah waah!
Laaa Laaa laa laaa!
Aaargh aaargh aaaaargh!
I killed a snake snake snake snake!
Snake snake snake snake
snake snake snaaake!"

*me dancing enthusiastically*

Painted Shut by Hop Along
Their last one is just as good. Smart wistful indie rock is my favourite thing. Horseshoe Crabs is my favourite on this one. Its about Jackson C. Frank. I could possibly criticize this album a little bit but I'm not going to because I mostly adore it Razz

On Fire by Galaxie 500
y'all know this one. definitely an imperfect album but golly its something special most of the time.
Fun fact, Damon and Naomi run a really cool publisher, Exact Change.

Loneliest In The Morning by Julie Doiron
I have her first one on CD (Broken Girl) and its really lovely but this one is a bit more melodically refined, I suppose. I feel like you can know whether you'd be into this or not just by looking at the album cover. I think it is super beautiful.

also these songs:

Link

(that's Warpaint's amazing bassist)

Link

(Hop Along got me to check out more of his music than just Blues Runs The Game and I fell on this one and I can't stop listening to it)

Link
(the song is called 7th Element and its by Vitas - I see it around jokingly but I think its genuinely a lovely, idealistic pop song with an edge of unreality - just how I like my pop music)

I didn't know what to title this so I just stole a line from Gerard Manley Hopkins.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/24/2016 00:33
  • Post subject:
I've just now realized I know of at least two all-girl feminist bands with a sense of humor based in Seattle so now for a spotlight on these two bands...

Link

Link

Okay spotlight over until I find more all-girl feminist Seattle-based bands with a sense of humor. Of the two I'm more of a Mommy Long Legs person but Chastity Belt's vocalist is so fucking charming. I love its kinda soaring quality.
undefined

• Posted: 02/24/2016 04:33
  • Post subject: Re: rose-moles all in stipple
yayyyy Brandon has a log! Gonna be keeping a close eye on this one. Also idk why I noticed this but
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Fright Makes Right by Coughs

BrandonMiaow wrote:
Angel'in Heavy Syrup

SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/24/2016 04:51
  • Post subject:
listening to the Bush Tetras' Rituals after seeing it on your RYM 4.5s (and i've been meaning to get to their stuff for awhile) and this is de-light-ful Very Happy

i'll likely to get to the stuff on here, seems super interesting
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/24/2016 22:32
  • Post subject: Re: rose-moles all in stipple
dividesbyzero wrote:
yayyyy Brandon has a log! Gonna be keeping a close eye on this one. Also idk why I noticed this but

Laughing good catch, didn't notice that.

SuedeSwede wrote:
listening to the Bush Tetras' Rituals after seeing it on your RYM 4.5s (and i've been meaning to get to their stuff for awhile) and this is de-light-ful Very Happy

yeah it is de-light-ful. Razz The whole thing is fun as hell but the title track is like the most perfect goth rock track of all time. Those vocals are so cool. Like goddamn. If I sounded like that I'd be the most confident person alive. XD You ever listen to Au Pairs? They are kinda sorta similar.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2016 00:15
  • Post subject:
Siiick, you're one of the few users left who didn't have a log who I actually wanted to see a log from.

now if only borvey baby would return...
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/26/2016 03:40
  • Post subject:
...and suddenly, Fleetwood Mac makes sense to me. And by Fleetwood Mac I mean the ridiculously chilled out Stevie Nicks sung songs.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2016 04:04
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
...and suddenly, Fleetwood Mac makes sense to me. And by Fleetwood Mac I mean the ridiculously chilled out Stevie Nicks sung songs.

okay but

Link

• Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/26/2016 04:50
  • Post subject:
Brandon I listened to that Japanese psych album and it was fabulous. Hit like 8 out of 10 of my psychedelic sweet spots. Have you heard this? It's basically just a black metal version of it (except much heavier/crazier and thus less anxiety relieving because black metal. EDIT: which isn't to say it doesn't have loads of merits of its own. It's like an acid trip gone wrong gone right)
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 02/27/2016 04:23
  • Post subject:
^ I'll listen to that soon Gabe! I find some black metal anxiety relieving actually, at least mildly.

Okay, I'm listening to Vroom Vroom by Charli XCX and its like so fucking decadent, its like too much dessert XD
I love PC Music/bubblegum bass, generally. I love Charli even more. I'm weird enough to have a poster of her on my wall. She inspires me. Razz Pop music is kinda like that to me. Its kinda like a self-empowerment thing where you can feel sexy and happy and beautiful. Which, idk, for me, being happy in my own body is like one of the most important things. Its like how Be a Body by Grimes always plays in my brain when I take a shower XD I figure its why True Romance is so important to me. That and its the album I've listened to the most out of any other album. By far. Plus...as I always say about it, that album fucking shimmers.
god I'm talking about the wrong album lol. Vroom Vroom! I dig it, its fun, though it almost feels like too much of a good thing. Her personality is so fucking shiny here. I didn't think it shined in Sucker (though how would I know?), and she has said in interviews it didn't really shine in True Romance (well whatever XD).

Right now this album almost feels like what Art Angels was supposed to be in that it feels like an amalgamation of pop-tropes turned up to 11 and infused with the creator's personality. Maybe Art Angels managed that, idk, but this does it better to me. I'm not really a fan of Art Angels, I don't listen to it. This I think I'll listen to quite a bit. I just kind of want more. Which maybe contradicts the too much of a good thing comment I made. Whatever!