Best Ever Neo-Noir Films/Modern Film Noir [Poll]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2018 16:40
  • Post subject:
I have a question. What is the date that is considered the beginning of film noir? Probably in the early forties, right? I don't even know.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/29/2018 17:36
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I have a question. What is the date that is considered the beginning of film noir? Probably in the early forties, right? I don't even know.

"Officially", generally speaking, it was considered a reflection of the disillusionment surrounding WW 2 starting in the early 40s (so films such as Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Laura are seminal examples) but prominent and influential earlier seeds for this were actually planted in the early 20s after World War 1, with the likes of Lang's 20s crime/expressionist films (thereafter including M and his 30s films) ... with gangster/crime films of the 30s (such as Hawks' Scarface) ... with the likes of Von Sternberg's decadent/seedy/expressionist works (30s, then the 40s, for instance: Blue Angel and Shanghai Gesture). The look, technique and structure of Citizen Kane was to be a major influence as well, especially as we advance to neo noir, the French New Wave, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2018 18:03
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
"Officially", generally speaking, it was considered a reflection of the disillusionment surrounding WW 2 starting in the early 40s (so films such as Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Laura are seminal examples) but prominent and influential earlier seeds for this were actually planted in the early 20s after World War 1, with the likes of Lang's 20s crime/expressionist films (thereafter including M and his 30s films) ... with gangster/crime films of the 30s (such as Hawks' Scarface) ... with the likes of Von Sternberg's decadent/seedy/expressionist works (30s, then the 40s, for instance: Blue Angel and Shanghai Gesture). The look, technique and structure of Citizen Kane was to be a major influence as well, especially as we advance to neo noir, the French New Wave, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking of some movies I remember that were made way back in the 30s that were kind of like film noir in the themes kind of. I was thinking of some of those 30s movies that Bette Davis was in like Marked Woman and stuff like that. They were like crime movies with bad and unhappy endings. I also thought of M.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/29/2018 22:14
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking of some movies I remember that were made way back in the 30s that were kind of like film noir in the themes kind of. I was thinking of some of those 30s movies that Bette Davis was in like Marked Woman and stuff like that. They were like crime movies with bad and unhappy endings. I also thought of M.

Yep sounds like you were on the right track.

I came across this: http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

A much more detailed explanation than my abbreviated quick take.

Last edited by AfterHours on 07/30/2018 01:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2018 23:15
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I have a question. What is the date that is considered the beginning of film noir? Probably in the early forties, right?

The consensus these days is that 1940 is the year film noir started. The first film is usually considered Stranger on the Third Floor.

The third edition of the Film Noir Encyclopedia (came out in 1992) asserted that it started in 1927 with the film Underworld. The encyclopedia was so influential that IMDb has ruled that 1927 is the first year. The Fourth Edition moved the year it started to 1948.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 00:37
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
The consensus these days is that 1940 is the year film noir started. The first film is usually considered Stranger on the Third Floor.

The third edition of the Film Noir Encyclopedia (came out in 1992) asserted that it started in 1927 with the film Underworld. The encyclopedia was so influential that IMDb has ruled that 1927 is the first year. The Fourth Edition moved the year it started to 1948.

They moved the date a full 20 years??? Seems like quite a jump.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 04:30
  • Post subject:
Shit, I meant they moved it to 1940. d'oh!
  • Visit poster's website