Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/07/2014 20:07
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Wow both of these will be on my chart when i get around to doing another update.

Yay! Thanks. I was thinking about adding them myself, but I'm fighting off a streak of laziness at the moment and losing terribly.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/07/2014 22:27
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I find that people who think there isn't enough good new music coming out tend not to listen to enough new music.

meh. I've only listened to somewhere around 60/70 albums from this year so far, but I don't think there's one that floored me, and there's usually a handful or two for me each year. Still need to listen to Fatima and CLPPNG, among many others. lehtal just rec'd me something on my chart that I'll probs like; maybe that'll be my aoty.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 08/07/2014 22:31
  • Post subject:
I have a huge 2014 backlog right now but of the few I've heard, the following two are all-time great status:

U As In Utah by Ju Sei & Utah Kawasaki

Miseri Lares by Valerio Tricoli
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 08/07/2014 23:47
  • Post subject:
This year has been slow from my perspective too. Right now only three of my top ten favorite solo singers have new albums coming, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, and Hal Ketchum (Its been six years since his last album). One of my favorite female singers LeAnn Rimes did just now release a dance album on the day before yesterday, but all of the songs on it are from her previous albums only they have been redone so that they can be danced to. My favorite duo, Brooks & Dunn, went their separate ways a few years ago, I haven't seen anything new lately on my favorite trio, SheDaisy, and even though a live album from my favorite band, Diamond Rio, is supposed to be in stores at some point, its been almost five years now since a new album from them was released.

God bless you and all of my favorites always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/07/2014 23:51
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
lehtal just rec'd me something on my chart that I'll probs like; maybe that'll be my aoty.

Oh, that's from years ago. You'll love it anyway.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/08/2014 00:03
  • Post subject:
I think this year has a higher average of 4 stars+ records than some of the past ones so far, so I have to go with the "it's just you" sentiment as well. I really really like most of what I put up in my top 30-50 of the 100 and the other half is damn stellar too.

The Serpent & The Sphere by Agalloch

This Kindly Slumber by Birds Of Passage

Prayer For Terrene by Idylls

Splinters by Vallenfyre

Ester Rada by Ester Rada

Make My Head Sing... by Jessica Lea Mayfield
  • Visit poster's website
rustyautoparts

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2014 00:19
  • Post subject:
Last year had a ton of hyped blockbuster albums. Justin Timberlake, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Kanye West... There was a lot of buzz around those albums last year, and there is something magical about well known musicians putting out stellar work in their prime. I'm not seeing a lot of that this year, can't really think of a blockbuster type album that's gotten a lot of critical praise.

That said, I think there are just as many stellar albums out so far this year, they're just further below the radar than normal. Garage rock in particular has been off the charts so far. Some of favorites:

Burn Your Fire For No Witness by Angel Olsen

Tomorrow's Hits by The Men

Here And Nowhere Else by Cloud Nothings

Are We There by Sharon Van Etten
  • Visit poster's website
Karnoffel

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2014 19:37
  • Post subject:
Have you checked out Ought's Today More Than Any Other Day or Trophy Scars' Holy Vacants? Fantastic albums.
  • Visit poster's website
rustyautoparts

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2014 19:46
  • Post subject:
I've checked out a random track or two from Ought, and filed it away for closer listening. Trophy Scars was completely off my radar, so I look forward to listening to both. Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2014 20:51
  • Post subject:
I got that impression initially, but tbh I think that's just how pretty much all new years seem. 2011, 2012, and 2013 all seemed pretty lousy to me at first, too. If I had to guess why, it's because we've already had generations of music listeners to pick out the best stuff from past eras. That's not to say there isn't great stuff among the more obscure stuff from the '70s through '90s, but it's a lot more likely that we'll enjoy the higher-ranked stuff from those years because that stuff has stood the test of time and has proved to be among the favorites of thousands of passionate music-listeners.

Nowadays, there's so much more music available (higher population, Internet, at-home recording technology, etc.), and since it's so recent the average album from the 2010s has not yet received even a fraction as many listens as the average album from the 1990s and before. Consequently, you may not particularly agree with the current consensus on the best albums for recent years. I bet if you dig a lot deeper, though, you'll find some really great stuff. There's just too much music coming out for it to all be mediocre or worse.
  • Visit poster's website