Albums with Large Changes in Rank on BEA

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2010 08:16
  • Post subject: Albums with Large Changes in Rank on BEA
So I was just looking at the overall chart and using check the previous date feature and looking at the changes certain albums have made in rank over one years' time. It's interesting. The top 20 or 30 don't change very much. They're almost set in stone. But when you get into the higher numbers, one starts to notice drastic changes in rank. For example, music snob albums like Trout Mask Replica and that one Mingus album a lot of people like have dropped like a stone, whereas albums like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and White Blood Cells have made huge leaps in a year's time (the latter= 70 some points!)

I'm wondering, what do you think about all this? What causes these changes? Do some albums have an expiration date or a number at which they reach the tipping point and then start heading the other direction? Are some albums still waiting to be discovered and appreciated, while others have overstayed their welcome? Which albums do you think will go up the most in rank a year from now? Which one's will drop the most? Will the Beatles and Radiohead ever go down in popularity on here? It's a fascinating phenomenon, trying to analyze the changes over a year.

Discuss.
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 11/13/2010 09:26
  • Post subject:
the biggest one I noticed was "The XX - xx" I remember it being aroudn 20 - 25 or something for 2009 and now its number 2.

I cant explain why this happens .. But i just wanted to add another observation
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/13/2010 09:34
  • Post subject:
Very interesting... Anyone have any predictions?

EDIT: Just noticed Fear of a Blank Planet is now in the top 10 for 2007. Woo Very Happy Not to mention Viva La Vida is no longer no. 1 for 2008.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 11/13/2010 10:18
  • Post subject:
My guess for these changes is a different profile of users on BEA.
From what I gather, the early users were very experimental-jazz-avant garde-oriented.
I also remember seeing lots of that Mingus album. I had never even heard of Charles Mingus when I joined - and now the album's in my top 10 !
The same goes for Slint's "Spiderland" (not much love nowadays), Mercury Rev "Yerself Is Steam"...
I miss those exciting charts.

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 11/13/2010 13:08
  • Post subject:
I noticed that Yankee Hotel one getting much much higher. I might have to listen to it again, according to the rating on this site I wasn't very impressed last time. Although I remember rating a Modest Mouse album low then giving it a second listen to find I was very impressed.

Rubber Soul had a zenith in early 2010 but has now fallen back to 19th

I was the last person to add Generation Terrorists to a chart Sad

Bjork Debut and Spritulized Ladies and Gentlemen were both surprisingly low when I joined but the later has skyrocketed now while Debut is close to the top 100 of 1990s.

There was also this band called The Exploding Hearts (I think that was their name) who were one of the higher albums in the best of 1990s I had listened to. I wanted to listen to the album because its cover had a sort of Clash vibe but I couldn't find it anywhere. Not in the shops, library or spotify. I think it has now fallen below 130 in the 1990s

You know what would make a great thread? Predictions of the overall chart in 10-20 years time Smile I could go on forever with predictions in that thread!
Kiki

• Posted: 11/13/2010 13:15
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
My guess for these changes is a different profile of users on BEA.
From what I gather, the early users were very experimental-jazz-avant garde-oriented.
I also remember seeing lots of that Mingus album. I had never even heard of Charles Mingus when I joined - and now the album's in my top 10 !
The same goes for Slint's "Spiderland" (not much love nowadays), Mercury Rev "Yerself Is Steam"...
I miss those exciting charts.

I was a little nervous when I first joined because so many seemed to be into all that 'smart music' as I called it. Also I have about 10 albums on my chart that I discovered thanks to this site.

Now the only real trend between charts is that most have at least 10 of the top 100. No one really gets angry outside of the 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' page where any unenthusiastic response is voted to -5 in a day.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2010 13:27
  • Post subject:
Come to think of it, huge leaps might mean the album will peak sooner. I keep thinking of the Tipping Point. Has anyone here ever read that book or familiar with the philosophy?

One album I think that is destined for the top 20 is Arcade Fire-Funeral. That album continues to climb steadily and has grown in popularity since its release. And if you doubt its popularity, just look at how well the Suburbs sold right out of the gate. I am going to predict right now that a year from now that album will be in the top 20. Anyone disagree? The Suburbs will be fairly high too. Watch out, Radiohead. Arcade Fire is gunning for you!

As for different profiles, of course that's true, but all the new profiles are also a reflection of changing taste in albums. Just saying. Anyone else willing to make a prediction?
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2010 13:31
  • Post subject:
Whoops! It's already there. OK, make that top 10. That's right. I said top 10! What's it going to replace though? I predict a fairly big drop for Never Mind. I also think The Velvet Undergound and Nico will drop about five points.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 11/13/2010 13:45
  • Post subject:
Arcade Fire Funeral could well be number 1 in peoples best albums of the 00's in 50 years time. The distance between it and The Strokes This Is It in the popular music canon is going to grow and grow. Neon Bible... I found it as good as Funeral and it is top 100 on the overall chart but the majority of people tend to always compare it negatively to Funeral.

If you want to make this a time capsule thread of predictions I'll be more than happy to take part Razz I'll even make a few now

On 13 November 2011:
- Merriweather Pavilion below 150

- Less than 700 points between 6 and 9 on the overall chart

- Top 5 of 2010
1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2. The National - High Violet
3. Beach House - Teen Dream
4. MGMT - Congratulations
5. Vampire Weekend - Contra

- The Drums self titled in top 10 of 2010

Does anyone want to go against me on any of these? Razz
Wombi

• Posted: 11/13/2010 15:01
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Does anyone want to go against me on any of these? Razz

well certainly the merriweather post pavillion one i've heard it before but i believe if it does go down it wont go down beyond 100.

as for no. 1 of 2000's do you really think people will forget Kid A?

I think "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" Could potentially go up quite a bit as it seems to keep cropping up, it's even higher than loveless on here.

And Bob Dylan albums. I feel like I see Highway 61 less often and the other big three a lot more these days particularly Bringin' it all back home so that could see a large rise.

and lets all cross our fingers that 'joshua tree' leaves the top 50.