Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/18/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1394): Zen Arcade by Hüsker Dü
Today's album of the day

Zen Arcade by Hüsker Dü (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1984.
Overall rank: 426
Average rating: 79/100 (from 230 votes).

Tracks:
1. Something I Learned Today
2. Broken Home, Broken Heart
3. Never Talking To You Again
4. Chartered Trips
5. Dreams Reoccurring
6. Indecision Time
7. Hare Krsna
8. Beyond The Threshold
9. Pride
10. I'll Never Forget You
11. The Biggest Lie
12. What's Going On
13. Masochism World
14. Standing By The Sea
15. Somewhere
16. One Step At A Time
17. Pink Turns To Blue
18. Newest Industry
19. Monday Will Never Be The Same
20. Whatever
21. The Tooth Fairy And The Princess
22. Turn On The News
23. Reoccurring Dreams

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/18/2014 20:32
  • Post subject:
One of SST's Holy Trinity, along with Damaged and Double Nickels....

Bloody bloody love it - even though the story/concept behind it is as daft as a chocolate fireguard.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/18/2014 21:43
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
One of SST's Holy Trinity, along with Damaged and Double Nickels....

Bloody bloody love it - even though the story/concept behind it is as daft as a chocolate fireguard.

Love
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2014 22:31
  • Post subject:
I'd personally say the holy trinity of SST is this, Double Nickels and YLOAM. Then Meat Puppets II and Sister. But then again I despise Black Flag...

On the other hand this album is absolutely fantastic, somewhere in the top 10 Punk albums.
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 09/19/2014 09:13
  • Post subject:
rayword45 wrote:
I'd personally say the holy trinity of SST is this, Double Nickels and YLOAM. Then Meat Puppets II and Sister. But then again I despise Black Flag...

On the other hand this album is absolutely fantastic, somewhere in the top 10 Punk albums.

Damaged did nothing for me.And I love Minor Threat and Bad Brains.However their Nervous Breakdown EP with Keith Morris is one of the best Punk Eps of all time,check that out if you haven't.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/19/2014 10:00
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
Damaged did nothing for me.And I love Minor Threat and Bad Brains.However their Nervous Breakdown EP with Keith Morris is one of the best Punk Eps of all time,check that out if you haven't.

Yeah, that EP kicks serious ass. The follow-up EP Jealous Again with Chavo on vocals is in the same style as and pretty close to the level of Nervous Breakdown.

Link
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/19/2014 10:22
  • Post subject:
Or you could just listen to The First Four Years, which features Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again in addition to other songs from the period. Damaged has also done nothing for me, but I love that comp.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/19/2014 10:56
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
Or you could just listen to The First Four Years, which features Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again in addition to other songs from the period. Damaged has also done nothing for me, but I love that comp.

Yeah, I get that. Damaged is a completely different beast than than their early EPs which were straight up LA/Orange County punk rock. Initially, I also preferred the immediate, ballsy LA punk sounds of bands like the Circle Jerks, Adolescents and of course, Black Flag's early EPs. They provide an instantaneous adrenalin rush so what's not to love when you're a surf rat. Damaged is a much more difficult listen and takes far longer to click. Just don't think it's lacking in quality compared with their early stuff. It's just far less immediate. I still haven't found another punk album that remotely resembles it. Nothing else quite like it really to my knowledge.

Here's my take on it from my chart. As you can tell from the first sentence, Damaged, unlike their early EPS, is no joyride...

Quote:
The sound of depression had been done before. But never like this. This is the sound of a man fighting for his life with everything he's got. With bile. With rage. He doesn't want to die & he's pist as all hell at being sick. At being attacked by his own body, his own mind. He screams out for help from anyone completely naive that no one can help him. So he just becomes more angry, more confused. One of the best albums ever at depicting mental illness and sickness in general. Shit, this is music's In a Bell Jar.And I love how the album itself is completely manic-depressive! Besides Bowie's Low, has there ever been two sides of an album so divergent, yet so inexorably meant to be together?
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/19/2014 11:04
  • Post subject:
I've not given up on it completely, but at the moment I'm not a fan. Hopefully there will be some time in the future where it clicks and I begin to love it, but until then, I'll give it a go every once in a while and see what happens.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/19/2014 13:52
  • Post subject:
Damaged is the shit, guys. Sad

*ahem* Back to Zen Arcade, though, this was my far and away favorite album for the first couple years of high school. I even read a book or two about Hüsker Dü and grew to like every part of their output, from the early more punk stuff through to the alternative pop stuff at the end. Holds a very special place in my heart.