Black Sabbath

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 09/22/2010 21:27
  • Post subject: Black Sabbath
I've been recently listening to a lot of music by these guys. Really surprising some of the things they pull off. I wasn't expecting tracks like Changes and Laguna Sunrise when I listened to the Vol4 album! There discography is a lot larger than I first anticipated too. Close to the size of Rush's when I thought it would be less than 10

Anyone a big fan of the band here? Currently my favorites are Paranoid, Changes, Sweat Leaf, Iron Man and Neon Knights
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2010 22:26
  • Post subject:
Black Sabbath is one of my favorite bands ever. Their debut is one of the most revolutionary albums ever made, hands down.

My favorite songs from them are:
1. NIB
2. Paranoid
3. Sweet Leaf
4. Hand of Doom
5. Changes
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2010 14:03
  • Post subject:
Yeppers, Sabbath did some great stuff. I have Paranoid at the #45 spot on my album list (90 points), and the eponymous debut at #111 on my extended list (85 points). The title track from Paranoid is their greatest single moment in my book.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 10/15/2010 16:10
  • Post subject:
try Into the Void
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2010 22:18
  • Post subject:
Sabbath is my third favorite band, next to Modest Mouse and The Who. They tap into a really primal area of my brain that not a lot of bands can. "Into the Void" and "Behind the Wall of Sleep" are almost like religious experiences for me.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 12/29/2010 10:08
  • Post subject:
Yes there is one big Black Sabbath fan right here.My favorite from Sabbath is Heaven & Hell.I have it at #8 on my chart.I see that it's #643 on this site.I don't know if that's funny or sad? For some motivation I'm listening to Heaven & Hell right now.I never get tired of it.I like Neon knights also.It's the first song on the album & it comes right at you like a train & the train never stops till the album is over.Heaven & Hell is one Hell of a ride that feels like Heaven.I think,& it's hard to choose,the best song on H&H is the title track Heaven & Hell.I love the lyrics here are some.
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast,you've got to ride it well
The world is full of kings & queens
Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams
It's Heaven & Hell
The first 6 Sabbath albums are all good.It's hard to say which one is the best of them but I would have to go with Paranoid.Sabotage is the most underrated of them.This site has it at #1,815.After that I would say the ones to check out are Mob Rules & Dehumanizer.Geezer Butler's bass playing alone is worth the price of admission.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2010 02:28
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
My favorite from Sabbath is Heaven & Hell.

....No.

Sorry, but Heaven & Hell can hardly be called a Sabbath album. Dehumanizer is much, much better.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2010 05:35
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
GARY wrote:
My favorite from Sabbath is Heaven & Hell.

....No.

Sorry, but Heaven & Hell can hardly be called a Sabbath album. Dehumanizer is much, much better.

Every time I think there's no way I can like you more... Very Happy

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 12/30/2010 11:15
  • Post subject:
I like dehumanizer..It's a very good & underrated album.By the way Mr.40 footmonster,I bought Dehumanizer when U were in diapers.Sadly,I'm about the only one that did so.First I would like to address Mr.Applerill's statement that Heaven & Hell isn't really a Black sabbath Album.So let's look at who made each of them & compare shall we.

Heaven & Hell
Dio
Tony Iommi
Geezer Butler
Bill Ward

Dehumanizer
Dio
Tony Iommi
Geezer Butler
Vinny Appice

Pretty much the same people wouldn't U agree Mr.Applervill? The only difference in the two is that Bill Ward(the original drummer for Sabbath) plays on Heaven & Hell.Vinny Appice plays on Dehumanizer.
Verdict: Heaven & Hell is actually more of a Sabbath album then Dehumanizer.Case closed.

Next I will look into Mr.Applerill's assertion that Dehumanizer is way better then Heaven & Hell is.Way better....O really.I beg to differ.
Dehumanizer is very good but has moments that are less then exhilarating.While Heaven & Hell is brilliant from the first note all the way through till the last.The title track from H&H is clearly better then anything off of Dehumanizer in my opinion.
Verdict: Dehumanizer is not way better then Heaven & Hell.

One would hope that someone like Mr.Applervill (who is a Legend) would give reasons for what they claim.Not making blanket statements as if they were facts.I'm not trying to be a prick here but I had to defend my #8 favorite album of all time against a worthy challenger.I'm just glad that people still like Sabbath.Especially younger ones.I would stack the 9 best Black Sabbath albums against anyones.& Sabbath would rarely lose the battle.The vast majority of bands would kill to even put out 9 albums that are even halfway decent.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2010 21:47
  • Post subject:
You didn't really give any reasons for your picks either-you pretty much just said "It's better because I say it is"-but Dehumanizer trumps Heaven and Hell largely because it hews much closer to the original Sabbath spirit, which is to say, it is a doom metal album, and one of their heaviest. Heaven and Hell has never impressed me-it sounds like a less grand, less intense variation of Dio's work with Rainbow. The title track is okay but much of the album is an uncompelling blueprint for the type of music that Iron Maiden would shortly thereafter vastly improve upon.

Also, I'm not really sure what my age has to do with anything.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website