BEA ULL - Jhereko

View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 11/18/2014 13:37
  • Post subject: BEA ULL - Jhereko
Alright I have to do this at some time (third time's the charm). I'm generally not listening to much music at the moment (aside from my own stuff to try and get it right) but I'll try to listen to more than I might have otherwise. Fair warning: my critiquing skills are not my strong suit.

17/11/2014

Cubazed's wonderful 'Let's Rank' poll reminded me to listen to some Wilco and I chose to listen to Sky Blue Sky. Back in 2007 I think I was probably only just into Wilco for a year or 2 so it was the first album of theirs to release while I was a fan. So I have fond memories of it. The album is Wilco very much going back to their straight forward country folk rock roots and then softening it. So it can come across as very unassuming, very subdued and almost quite inconsequential. But this gives the album an air of impermanence throughout which I think is the point - an air of relief through acceptance of inevitability. Particularly when you get to the last track and highlight 'On & On & On' (the most overtly produced song on the album) which very clearly expresses being okay with our mortality.

Overall it's a nice inoffensive album with a few strong highlights that stick out among a largely forgettable list. It's essentially the start of Wilco's downward trend after their career peak with the 3 albums prior. Might actually lower it's rank on ranking Think

**/

Shocked second listen and it's still...just amazing. The dude just knows how to produce a complete experience throughout an album. He certainly has a specific style which he repeats on every album but it works, the shorter mindfuck tracks mixed in with killer cuts like 'Never Catch Me'. The vibes this album gives off is...I can't explain it in sound, it's one of those albums I can taste - and it's yummy.

also http://vimeo.com/109769059

Last edited by Wombi on 11/18/2014 13:40; edited 2 times in total
Wombi

• Posted: 11/18/2014 13:38
  • Post subject:
Also if anyone has a suggestion for something they really think I should listen to or want my opinion on a particular album, please do - I'd love the ideas.
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 11/18/2014 13:51
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
...want my opinion on a particular album, please do - I'd love the ideas.

yes! I'll be happy to know your opinion about:

We Sink by Sóley
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/18/2014 13:59
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Also if anyone has a suggestion for something they really think I should listen to or want my opinion on a particular album, please do - I'd love the ideas.

The Age Of Consent by Bronski Beat

I listened to this again a couple of nights ago thanks to Secondspirit (may b getting that name wrong, but it's sth like that) and was amazed that it's ranked so ridiculously low here. Easily one of the best albums of its year. Amazing synth pop & one of my go to dance pop albums back when I used to DJ in college. Be great to see this gem get more exposure here.
Wombi

• Posted: 11/19/2014 12:04
  • Post subject:
18/11/2014

Always excited for a new TV On The Radio record. I'll need a second listen to really judge it (I didn't like Nine Types Of Light on first listen but now I hear a whole new album of modern excitement and anxiety) but what's here is, whilst very safe, really enjoyable. Lyrically TV On The Radio continue to stray from the weird which can be disappointing for a long time fan but the quicker I accept the quicker I can enjoy the simple beauty of 'Test Pilot' or the rush of 'Right Now'.

On first listen 'What's Between' by WIFE had gone in one ear and out the other (with a vague memory of dull droning and over-dramatic lyrics). But this time the mystery of it stuck with me and it's silky dirty soundscapes struck a chord. The fact that this is a former black metal musician's go at emotionally driven electronica is not in the least bit surprising. The atmospheric dynamics of black metal is apparent here and when that subtle dread can be combined with a rousing electronic beat it can make for something very special (as on highlight 'Dans Ce').

***/
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/20/2014 01:59
  • Post subject:
Give me some thoughts on Alas Rattoisaa Virtaa by Kemialliset Ystävät.

• Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2014 03:14
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

I'd love your thoughts on the new Twilight Sad:

Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Want...ilight Sad

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/20/2014 09:18
  • Post subject:
Who wants to bet that the next ten pages will consist solely of album recommendations from various users?
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 11/23/2014 17:08
  • Post subject:
I did kinda lose interest in doing this BUT I am listening to the recs, so keep em coming!

We Sink by Sóley

An entry into the pantheon of quirky indie female singer songwriters. It doesn't doesn't do much to separate itself from its contemporaries but the lightness of touch is a welcome comforter. While at times in danger of being too slight, Soley maintains interest throughout with interesting yet subtle uses of different instrumentation. I didn't feel a connection with the album but it was a first listen.

**/

The Age Of Consent by Bronski Beat

This goes beyond camp into a territory of utter dramatic unashamed flamboyance - and that's just so much damn fun. The quasi operatic vocals combined with some still really solid beats makes for an album that is simultaneously incredibly dated and wonderfully timeless. Not for the overly serious at all. Of course the album logically concludes with a cover of 'I Feel Love'.

***/