BEA's Year-End List #6: More Than Any Other Day

View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/05/2015 18:47
  • Post subject: BEA's Year-End List #6: More Than Any Other Day

More Than Any Other Day by Ought

The debut album from Montreal-based indie punk band, Ought. While there wasn't much in-depth discussion on the forums, all the talk was positive.

19loveless91 wrote:
Kids with a cool taste in music

They listened to some Talking Heads, Television, Wire, Velvet Underground. And turned it into something of their own...

meccalecca wrote:
The anxiety gripped him with intense ferocity while in the midst of grocery shopping.

Silver wrote:
I liked this a lot when it came out, but I'm just now falling in love with it. Top three of the year for me easily.

ButterThumbz wrote:
A great little energetic gem of an album. Reminiscent of so many different post-punk and new wave bands but with a charm all it's own.

Skinny wrote:
Sounds a bit like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but more austere and intense. Easily one of my favourites of the year, and quite possibly my favourite indie rock record since Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold. Basically it's dope.

meccalecca wrote:
This is a serious album of the year contender. Reminds me a lot of Tim Kinsella (Owls, Capn Jazz, Joan of Arc) fronting a combo of This Heat and The Fall.

Hayden wrote:
I was subtley looking forward to this album for a few months, forgetting about it occasionally only to be pleasantly reminded that it was being released soon (which happens to a lot of records on Constellation for me). I missed the leak, but gave it a full listen yesterday and I was quite pleased with it. Very early 80's post-punk feel, but with this 90's post-rock undertone. The complexity and detail of the drumming won me over. There's a lot of bands that I could say sound like Ought, but they do a good job. It's also nice to see quality music of this being released in 2014. It's this really solid, enjoyable listen.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2015 18:52
  • Post subject:
This is a good album. I don't think I've listened to it since around the time it was released. Will revisit today.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2015 19:31
  • Post subject:
I thought this was kind of bad actually. The vocals were awful.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 02/05/2015 22:38
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:
I thought this was kind of bad actually. The vocals were awful.

I for one love my Alec Ounsworth mixed with David Byrne vocals.

But seriously though this album is god damn fantastic, easily one of my favorites last year, and at times I think it might be just my favorite. Full of paranoia and catchy tunes. The lyrics are intelligent, funny, poignant, lots of good things. And really I just love this brand of simultaneously skeletal yet massive post-punk. Now I'm just really curious to see where they go from here. Not many people talked about it, but they released an EP later in 2014 that was also really great, maybe they'll just keep trending up.

I actually thought 2014 was a really good year for music, one of my favorites of the decade so far.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/05/2015 23:37
  • Post subject:
This poll continues to throw up gems. One of the few albums of this year I actually bought on vinyl (which, by the way, sounds stunning - the best pressing of the year, of those I've heard). But yeah, love it.
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/06/2015 02:38
  • Post subject:
loveless wrote:
Kids with a cool taste in music

They listened to some Talking Heads, Television, Wire, Velvet Underground. And turned it into something of their own...

Don't forget Modest Mouse & even The Kinks (check out that chorus from The Weather song and hope that Ray Davies doesn't! LOL.)

The streak remains!!! Very Happy Vital stuff.

#KeepTheStreak
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2015 03:11
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
This poll continues to throw up gems. One of the few albums of this year I actually bought on vinyl (which, by the way, sounds stunning - the best pressing of the year, of those I've heard). But yeah, love it.

I'll probably get a copy soon. I want to order a whole bunch of stuff from Constellation. Probably Matana's trio, Carla Bozulich's Evangelista, New History Vol. 3, some stuff from Silver Mt. Zion and this. That labels entire catalog is fantastic.

But yeah, amazing album. Gotta play it again soon, haven't listened to it in a few months now.
  • Visit poster's website