The BEAcore Thread!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 02/18/2015 14:56
  • Post subject: The BEAcore Thread!
BEAcore is a genre that has developed right here, by us, and is represented by Cubbierill on RYM (wanted to put a link, but don't sure if the site rules allows it).
This is the critera he represents for the BEAcore genre:
1. Have at least some experimental attributes, or "abstract qualities", to your music.
2. Release at least half your discography online for free.
3. Do not tour for money or promotion.
4. Present your work often in an unpretentious DIY manner, like releasing albums every week or presenting complete disregard for RIAA sampling regulations.

I really like the idea, and I was kinda proud to see myself on the list Razz
I think that we should embrace the idea, and to try to keep developing it. For example, the list on RYM is divided to 3 parts: the absolute BEAcore, could be BEAcore, and not BEAcore. The absolute part I call "Heavy BEAcore", the could be BEAcore part I call "BEAcore", and the not BEAcore part I call "Post BEAcore".

So, on this thread you're invited to say everything about the BEAcore genre. As if it is recommending about your personal favorites BEAcore artist, promoting yourself etc.

BTW sorry for my bad english XD
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/18/2015 16:04
  • Post subject:
This smells like Charlie

EDIT: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbieril..._progress/

This is bullshit I'm at least 20 BEApoints more BEAcore rhan Jhereko!

Seriously, though, is there really such a thing as BEAcore? Most of our releases don't sound anything like each other - and it seems kind of arbitrary to exclude some users and include others?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2015 17:49
  • Post subject:
With Warm Surplus, Hayden Who, the Grey Marshmallow, and my own music, see a lot of overlap musically and stylistically. We all heavily use MIDI (and sometimes MP3) samples, we all are very self-aware and campy, we all have experimental elements in our work, and most notably, we often make music about music.

The very latter is why I often compare it to the European New Wave, where film critics were the ones making movies out of their ideas regarding the artform. While we all might have a bit of technical training, most of our expertise is in our record collections, and I think there's something beautiful about that. I started Charlie N. George in 2009 based on that conceit, and as I explain in a Hayden Who review I wrote (which JMan has seen), Hayden seems to have a very similar quality to his work.
  • Visit poster's website
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 02/18/2015 18:59
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
This smells like Charlie

EDIT: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbieril..._progress/

This is bullshit I'm at least 20 BEApoints more BEAcore rhan Jhereko!

Seriously, though, is there really such a thing as BEAcore? Most of our releases don't sound anything like each other - and it seems kind of arbitrary to exclude some users and include others?

Well, the BEAcore genre is less about your musical style and more about your musical personality and behaviors. And if you check out my message again, I'm not excluding anyone, just tagging them as "Post BEAcore". The BEAcore genre suppose to be about how most of us makes music, it can't include all of us completely.

And check out his desc, he said that it's in progress. When I get to level 7 I'm going to have a costume chart that will represent the BEAcore after more exploring.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/18/2015 19:10
  • Post subject:
eyal91 wrote:
When I get to level 7 I'm going to have a costume chart

What kind of costume?
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 02/18/2015 19:24
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
What kind of costume?

What do you mean? I'm going to have a costume chart about the BEAcore genre which will include the most "BEAcore" artists.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/18/2015 19:26
  • Post subject:
eyal91 wrote:
What do you mean? I'm going to have a costume chart about the BEAcore genre which will include the most "BEAcore" artists.

The word you're looking for is 'custom'. Costume is a suit someone wears to appear like something else.
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 02/18/2015 19:33
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
The word you're looking for is 'custom'. Costume is a suit someone wears to appear like something else.

Oh please forgive me, English is not my native language and I probably mixed up the words.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2015 20:47
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
With Warm Surplus, Hayden Who, the Grey Marshmallow, and my own music, see a lot of overlap musically and stylistically. We all heavily use MIDI (and sometimes MP3) samples, we all are very self-aware and campy, we all have experimental elements in our work, and most notably, we often make music about music.

The very latter is why I often compare it to the European New Wave, where film critics were the ones making movies out of their ideas regarding the artform. While we all might have a bit of technical training, most of our expertise is in our record collections, and I think there's something beautiful about that. I started Charlie N. George in 2009 based on that conceit, and as I explain in a Hayden Who review I wrote (which JMan has seen), Hayden seems to have a very similar quality to his work.

This actually makes complete sense.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/18/2015 20:52
  • Post subject:
eyal91 wrote:
Oh please forgive me, English is not my native language and I probably mixed up the words.

Ah. Sorry about that.