BYT - G0 - 1970 (Rocky) ties with 2010 (Dave)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Choose the team you prefer!
50%
 50%  [16]
50%
 50%  [16]
Total Votes : 32

Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/08/2015 17:15
  • Post subject: BYT - G0 - 1970 (Rocky) ties with 2010 (Dave)
(Don't post this in the post: I'm sending this to both of you because I'm not sure who's gonna be posting it. Copy from below)

The Albums:

Let It Be by The Beatles

Yeti by Amon Düül II

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath

The Madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett

Parallelograms by Linda Perhacs

The Singles:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Last edited by Defago on 03/15/2015 18:42; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/08/2015 17:16
  • Post subject:

ALBUMS

1. Sufjan Stevens - Age Of Adz

Link

The Age of Adz is a reference to Louisiana artist and self-proclaimed prophet Royal Robertson, whose work appears on the album's cover and liner notes. A paranoid schizophrenic, Robertson translated his anguish through apocalyptic sci-fi posters after his wife left him following nearly 20 years of marriage.

2. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot The Son Of Chico Dusty

Link

"Actually, man, working on something for that long, and having been doing it for as long as I’ve been doing it, I feel good about it. I feel like it’s some of the best work I’ve done in my life. That’s where the whole Sir Lucious Left Foot concept comes in. Sir Lucious Left Foot is like Luke Skywalker when he became a Jedi. I’m a master at my craft and I know how to do it."

3. Janelle Monae - The Archandroid

Link

The ArchAndroid is the follow-up to Janelle Monáe's debut EP Metropolis Suite I (The Chase) (2007) and consists of the second and third parts to her Metropolis concept series. Partly inspired by the 1927 film of the same name, the series involves the fictional tale of Cindi Mayweather, a messianic android sent back in time to free the citizens of Metropolis from The Great Divide, a secret society that uses time-travel to suppress freedom and love.

4. Anaïs Mitchell - Hadestown

Link

While walking among the tall grass at her wedding, Eurydice was set upon by a satyr. In her efforts to escape the satyr, Eurydice fell into a nest of vipers and suffered a fatal bite on her heel. Her body was discovered by Orpheus who, overcome with grief, played such sad and mournful songs that all the nymphs and gods wept. On their advice, Orpheus travelled to the underworld and by his music softened the hearts of Hades and Persephone, who agreed to allow Eurydice to return with him to earth on one condition he should walk in front of her and not look back until they both had reached the upper world. He set off with Eurydice following, and, in his anxiety, as soon as he reached the upper world, he turned to look at her, forgetting that both needed to be in the upper world. She vanished for the second time, but now forever.

5. Owen Pallett - Heartland

Link

As a prelude to the album, Pallett recorded an EP, Spectrum, 14th Century. Both the EP and the subsequent full-length are set in an imaginary realm called Spectrum. The songs on Heartland form a narrative concerning a "young, ultra-violent farmer" named Lewis, commanded by an all-powerful narrator—named Owen. According to Pallett, the songs are one-sided dialogues with Lewis speaking to his creator.

SINGLES

1. MGMT – Siberian Breaks

Link

2. Deerhunter – Helicopter

Link

3. Veronica Falls – I Found Love In A Graveyard

Link

4. The Soft Moon – Parallels

Link

5. David Lynch - I Know

Link

Last edited by Defago on 03/08/2015 17:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/08/2015 17:41
  • Post subject:
Vote to 1970, easily. There is absolutely nothing on that 2010 team that I have any interest in ever listening to again, unfortunately. None of the albums are bad, but they just aren't my thing, and there's certainly nothing there that's convincing me to vote against Black Sabbath's debut, Yeti, and The Madcap Laughs.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 03/09/2015 03:25
  • Post subject:
Yeti is a beastly album, and I'm going to interpret Parallelograms as a personal attack. Black Sabbath is good, Let It Be is okay, but I never really got on the Syd Barrett train.

But guys, come on. Rocky ain't no DJ he just play them fuckin mixtapes. Rocky ain't no DJ he just hit that instant replay.

Link

And here's a massive nerd, because all of you are massive nerds.

Link

Age Of Adz is a dorky Christian singer-songwriter throwing a weird synthy tantrum.

Link

Hadestown is a sprawling conceptual behemoth. It's based on Greek mythology so it's mad intelligent.

Link

Rocky can't offer you anything this dance-worthy. I can love you more than he can.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2015 03:34
  • Post subject:
2010 for me. The Veronica Falls single won me over to be honest.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2015 03:40
  • Post subject: Re: BYT - G0 - 1970 (Rocky) vs 2010 (Dave)
Defago wrote:
(Don't post this in the post: I'm sending this to both of you because I'm not sure who's gonna be posting it. Copy from below)

lolperu
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2015 06:44
  • Post subject:
you had me at owen, and janelle sealed the deal. 1970 has quite the singles dept, but i'm going with the albums.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2015 13:00
  • Post subject: Re: BYT - G0 - 1970 (Rocky) vs 2010 (Dave)
sp4cetiger wrote:
lolperu

yeeaaaa awkward

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 03/09/2015 14:09
  • Post subject:
I have to admit Im a bit surprised by the lack of Fun House or Just Another Diamond Day on any of the 1970 teams, but clearly there was a purpose anyway

Yeah I do have to say I am leaning a bit towards 1970, mainly because 2010 suffers from "It's Good... Yeah it's just good" syndrome through most of the team (though I really, really like Hadestown) and 1970 after Let it Be is very strong, and Black Sabbath is def my favorite across the board. About even with singles, Tears of a Clown is my favorite across both so yeah 1970 seems to be it but Ill do some more listening first.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2015 14:51
  • Post subject:
This one is a really good close match. I like pretty much everything both teams are showing me. Except American Woman, which I've never really liked. But the combination of Sabbath & Syd is really tough for any team to overcome. vote for 1970, but props to Dave for Anais Mitchell (among any other strong plays here)
  • Visit poster's website