Why your top alb. of all time is your top alb. of all time?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Toto456

• Posted: 12/26/2015 02:59
  • Post subject: Why your top alb. of all time is your top alb. of all time?
A lot of people when looks your chart mostly must to know the reasons of that album that's in your top, but no one description are put.

So, I Created this topic, for talk, the reasons for why your top album of all time is your top album of all time.

I start.

I didn't have no idea how this album was the top album of all time, from the start i've hated it, I couldn't eat it even the first track, which is one of the most noisy songs of all time, is most, maybe is the most noisy experiment. However, in this 2015, are come much fascinating reviews for this album, I hated in this time, but this time i give one listen, I like it, then 4 listens more in my free time, I love it. But after more of 40 listens, this album take a important role on my life. I discovered so much sounds, that i couldn't have to describe with much listens also, the reason of that i pull Jane Doe, the best album of all time for me, is the same reason of why I love metal music, the hardcore punk, and the alternative rock, this album combines, the most extreme metal music with all the elements of hardcore punk, with some elements of alternative rock, is a festival of creative sounds, "Phoenix in Flight" is an example, this album is god, this is the end of the world, the apocalypse made music, this is rage, fury, angry, dissease, and all those furiest emotions, are expressed in this album, Jacob Bannon, behind that voice of "rabious dog with epilepsy", had so much emotional poetic, and I love that, because much of fake metalcore artists of now didn't have created something so original like this.

This is a few example for why i've puted this album of all time, makes me fly, and showed me, the complex that is the music. Thank you Jane Doe, maybe someday I go to see some of the craziest shows of this amazing, beautiful band, Converge.

Last edited by Toto456 on 12/26/2015 03:23; edited 1 time in total
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/26/2015 03:13
  • Post subject:
I, too, hated that album on first listen. But wow isn't it just a clusterfuck of emotions. Love love love it.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/26/2015 05:35
  • Post subject:
Quote:
which is one of the most noisy songs of all time, is most, maybe is the most noisy experiment.

It is neither of these things.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2015 16:27
  • Post subject:

Untrue by Burial

because I like the atmosphere that it creates

plus, the music is too good
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 12/26/2015 21:40
  • Post subject:

Closer by Joy Division

I bought it precisely on 5th December 1994 and the tape didn't leave my walkman for good 7 months or so. Even though I've related myself to tons of other artists ever since, that feeling's still unique and unrepeatable. I gradually learnt to play most basslines and guitar licks on my first guitar. I memorised most of the lyrics and would scrawl them obsessively in all copybooks ("Existence, well what does it matter ?" seems to have been my favourite). I would tap the drum patterns on the bus or at school for weeks. I would look for J.G. Ballard's prose, which was not necessarily easy to find in Poland in 1990s. I would screw most of my dating opportunities by telling all the girls about Ian Curtis. Man, I felt so theoretically suicidal back then.

Years on, I still get shivers when I hear those first drum hits in Atrocity Exhibition and I still visualise Ian's life fading away with the fade-out in Decades.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/26/2015 21:58
  • Post subject:
My current overall is alphabetically ordered, because I can't decide placements, but the albums that would appear towards the top typically have several of the following characteristics:

-relaxed tempo, typically glacially slow
-a relative mastery of dynamics through tempo, volume, and/or other structure, or at least aware of them in most of the work
-a variety of timbres, beyond guitar, bass, piano, and rock drums, that typically leans towards woodwinds and percussion, despite most of the music I listen to still being rock; additionally, incorporating "world music"
-one or more master musicians exploring the bounds of timbre of their instrument
-an interest in repetition/minimalism
-typically less than 45 minutes unless it's one long song, in which case I love many 60+ minute songs
-not afraid of long songs
-not much focus on lyrics or vocals
-a musician's personal synthesis of disparate influences

that's what I can think of for now, but that pretty much generalizes my whole taste, except for that if there are lyrics, I prefer them to be pretty melancholy or spiritual

So... it's no wonder that something like

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

was my #1 for such a long time
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/26/2015 22:01
  • Post subject:

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

For me, it's just a concise encapsulation of the greatest quartet ever (John Coltrane, Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner and Jimmy Garrison) at their very best. Each of them bring out their very best, and the result is an absolutely stunning piece of art. I don't listen to it very often, but when I do I'm still totally captured by the sheer prowess displayed here.

That said, my number two (Van Morrison's Astral Weeks) may as well be my joint number one. However, since Coltrane (especially with these players) is my favourite artist, I figured it's only right I give him the no.1 spot. Besides, this album is kinda tied with my BEA identity now :p
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2015 22:25
  • Post subject:
I used to have

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos as my #1, since it almost instantly changed my whole life when I heard it in 2009. It was the album that made me realize the depths of how powerful art can be (especially compared to most video games, which were my main obsession at the time). More importantly, though, it taught me empathy, something I never really was exposed to in my autistic Calvinist household. (And of course, it's a perfect album; that helps, too Razz )

Today, though, I prefer

Boys For Pele by Tori Amos, because it shows Tori taking some of the themes of LE(l) and making a conceptual and tonal labyrinth out of them. I think I'm correct in saying that it is one of the most difficult pop albums of the nineties, so much so that it was the single most-requested book to write about for 33 1/3 this year. At the same time, it's so rebellious and angry and openly sexual and fun, with her often orgasmically moaning or rambling about how Big Bird is a hooker, or going to Bobby's house, or all these other things. It's almost My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy for the Lilith Fair crowd, and I think that's beautiful.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 12/26/2015 23:31
  • Post subject:

Psychic by Darkside

Jaar and Harrington achieve a sort of electronic comfort zone. The tempo and arrangements submerge the listener into a slow motion climax that make you want to stay in it forever.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

Mostly because of nostalgia reasons. Moments trapped inside of an album. But also, it's just fucking fantastic. Kanye, getting back on his feet after a tremendous fall. Wonderful production and features by an all-star cast. Very climactic and emotional. Couldn't ask for more.
  • Visit poster's website