Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/09/2016 17:39
  • Post subject:
oh SHIT this thing exists... uh...

HERE. This is what late March-now has been Very Happy (i'll start today's listening in a fresh post):

Paradise Of Replica by After Dinner [first - 15/3]

wahoo. lovely proggy/artsy pop.

Lick My Decals Off, Baby by Captain Bee...Magic Band [first - 17/3]

best beefheart fight me

Cantorials by David Kusevitsky [first - 21/3]

pretty emotional stuff from time to time, but really doesn't resonate with me as a whole.

Mixes by Holly Waxwing [first - 23/3]

just another bubblegum bass which fizzlepopz the ears

Orient by 佐藤博 [Hiroshi Sato] [first - 24/3]

you know what this is actually really disappointing. I love Sato's stuff in Seaside Lovers (see: Memories In Beach House) but this really just doesn't work. it's synthy cheese, sure, but with no TANG to it. like a bland lifeless fat-free light cheddar.

Signals, Calls, And Marches by Mission Of Burma [first - 26/3]

eh, i like this a lot, sure, just not as much as it'd been hyped up to be and not close to the level of Vs

LC by The Durutti Column [first - 26/3]

lovely dreamy atmospheric post-punk, really really gorgeous textures

SremmLife by Rae Sremmurd [first - 27/3]

as much as i really do like this overall, it doesn't live up to This Could Be Us and No Type which are absolute bangers

I Can't Come by The Snivelling Shits [first - 27/3]

like a really raw early punk sound done really fucking well. hits with tons of power

Desire by Tuxedomoon [first - 27/3]

wew lad. probably the most captivating post-punk album out there. really dark and gloomy atmospheres. much much love

Half-Mute by Tuxedomoon [first - 27/3]

i mean, it had to live up to Desire which is way too much to ask for. still great tho

Kleenex / LiLiPUT by LiLiPUT [first - 28/3]

wow wow wow. all over the place (which is expected from a 2 hour, 46 track compilation). starts with a much more straight-up punk vibe and moves onto become really textured post-punk pieces and then straight into oddball art punk territory (I think they use a rubber duck on 2 separate tracks) so yeah LISTEN TO IT WHEN YOU'VE GOT 2 HOURS TO KILL!!!

[insert lots of drinking (I turned 18!!!) and lots of gaming (I played Grim Fandango which was fab - amazing dialogue and characterisation - and also replayed Outlast which I hadn't played since it came out - not as good as I remember but still enjoyable at times. nice enough bleak atmospheres which instil terror when used well but is anchored too much by horrible horror jump-scare clichés. big fucking insane rippy-heady-offy guy can go fuck himself too. ending is pretty poor as well. story as a whole is just laughable tbh)]

The Complete Blind Willie Johnson by Bl...ie Johnson [first - 5/4]

some songs are fabulous like It's Nobody's Fault But Mine and John the Revelator but some I actually don't feel. a pretty samey listen and inconsistent in quality, but damn the greats make up for the pits.

The Legendary Chinese Hits by 張露 [Chang Loo] [first - 5/4]

FINALLY got my paws on this. really fucking great wow wow wow worth all the work it took to get a hold of xD

Blank Banshee 0 by Blank Banshee [first - 5/4]

blah blah i'm lost for words. it's great. love the trap-meets-vaporwave production style. more comments to come on BB later...

Watching From A Distance by Warning [first - 5/4]

i mean at times its doom-and-gloom works really well and creates really enthralling textures etc but mostly this is pretty dull. the lyrics are cringey too, but i liked it for the moments it wasn't just so /dull/ (which was more often than i'm making it sound, i did enjoy this Razz)

Sacrilegio by Parabellum [first - 5/4]

i really wanted to like this more than i did. the A-side was just far too gritty and raw for my tastes (which, in black metal, i love rawness but it just was way too much) but the B-side was pretty great.

Bride Of Insect by Nuclear Death [first - 5/4]

fast-paced, exhilarating grindcore/death metal. fab shit.

Blank Banshee 1 by Blank Banshee [first - 6/4]

as a whole this album is bloody fantastic (lovely dreamy production, once again adopting trap-meets-vaporwave stylistically) but Eco Zones.... I could listen to that shit for hours

TNGHT by TNGHT [first - 6/4]

i'm at the end of this now can i just be lazy and say it was really good? cool thanks.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2016 03:18
  • Post subject:
hello hello i suck at updating this...

things i've been listening to:

In The Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra [first - 9/4]

very mellow and very sombre. really enjoyed this one

[insert loads of disco]

Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin [relisten]

I forgot how much I liked this one (which is quite a lot). When The Levee Breaks is immaculate.

Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin [first - 11/4]

no idea how I've only just gotten to it. the same level of quality of IV, really really great A-side in particular.

Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry [first - 11/4]

not as impressive as The Great Twenty-Eight, and it feels a little bland. I liked it in parts though

Jungle Music - Mixed With Love: Essenti...er Gibbons [first - 11/4]

2 hour disco comp. great mixes and some of the songs hit really hard, but it feels a little bit inconsistent.

Corazón: Songs And Music Recorded In P...inas Salas [relisten]

mm hmm just really moving Andean folk. I remember Defago mentioning this (I think) when we were talking about traditional Peruvian music, but yeah either way thank you (whoever) gave this rec to me first (though admittedly I extrapolated it from Poe's chart Razz, wouldn't have gone "ooh it's this album" without you Defago or whoever)

------------------------------------

today's listens:

24 → 24 Music by Dinosaur L [first]

yeah i dug this one in places. artsy disco which can be flipped either way: sometimes it strips the beauty of some of the tracks and sometimes it adds to it with some nice no wave/art pop influences every now and then. enjoyable for sure.

The End Of The World by Skeeter Davis [relisten]

love this one. really melancholy, hard-hitting country pop. Skeeter has beautiful melodies and beautiful arrangements, a gorgeous album indeed.

The Legendary Chinese Hits by 劉韻 [Liu Yun] [first]

don't worry, Legendary Chinese Hits collection, I haven't forgotten about you. my least favourite of the collection - and I mentioned this in Skype. What makes Zhou Xuan's take on shidaiqu, for instance, so emotional for me comes down to a lot of factors but mainly, a) her almost unhuman, romantic, melancholic vocals; b) perfect melodies and perfect arrangements working in blissful harmony; and most notably c) how well it paints a picture of 30s-50s China, mainly down to her roots in Chinese folk music and usage of a lot of traditional Chinese instrumentation - her music is very typically Chinese. however, with this compy in particular we have our shidaiqu-star Liu Yun taking a lot of influence from Western music of the 50s, now of course this doesn't make it automatically worse, but it strips it of its personality for me. the part c) factors a lot into my enjoyment of shidaiqu and with quite basic guitar/bass/drums being adapted in a lot of these songs it's quite disappointing. but who's to say that you can't have perfect pop songs with just basic instrumentation? of course, I would be a hypocrite to insinuate such things with Allo Darlin, Francoise Hardy, and The Bats all literally being in my top 10. but I think here the case is that comparing it to what makes Xuan's collection so great - a) her vocals are bland; b) her melodies are interesting, sure, and the arrangements are from time-to-time very pretty and sometimes very moving; c) as i said it doesn't paint that lovely picture of Chinese scenery that Xuan's does - it really just doesn't have the glimmer that her music does. I'm not going to say that this album was bad by any extent - but certainly disappointing - though I have to admit overall it was kinda nice despite it not being as exciting and enthralling as previous collections have.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 04/13/2016 14:31
  • Post subject:
Love

It is a great album, recommended to all. Andean folk is a really neat collection of very unique subgenres, but sadly not too popular.

Cheers for the shout out!
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/22/2016 21:04
  • Post subject:
apparently i can't keep up with doing this kek

Longing For The Past: The 78 Rpm Era In...us Artists [first - 13/4]

a beautiful 4-disc compilation featuring traditional folk & classical music from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. each disc is a new adventure - new flavours and different (though noticeably similar) textures created from their beautiful use of interesting collections of instruments and pathos-filled vocals.

I got through it all in one go, and I think it's certainly a challenge - but for anyone looking for a whole new vocabulary in music that hasn't been explored before (unless you've listened to your fair share of Southeast Asian Folk/Classical unlike me) and for anyone who wants to really experience a new culture take on how music is commonly done - this collection is your place to start. Absolutely breathtaking.

VIPOTY by GFOTY [first - 13/4]

if anyone wants an explanation as to why I really didn't like this one, I can give you one but I don't want to clog my diary up with ramblings about what's not quite right here and there. just know it's probably my least favourite PC Music release and I hope to god she doesn't do anything like this again.

Painting With by Animal Collective [first - 13/4]

y'all cray, I found this one very enjoyable. light, bouncy, and fun often but also very dense and chopped-up whenever it chooses to be, really liked it.

-insert loads of disco/house singles (really all I've been listening to)-

The Theme by Loop 7 [first - 21/4]

woop woop big up.

Hybrid Noisebloom by Merzbow [first - 21/4]

now, out of the three Merzbow releases I'd heard at this point, this one is definitely my favourite (miles ahead of Flare Gun and 1930). I think it just has interesting textures compared to his other work, y'know. with all the noise and abrasion there's also really interesting, kind of bubbly electronics that work really well alongside it and make it just that extra bit special.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 01:16
  • Post subject:
22nd April, 2016

Venereology by Merzbow [first]

great textures. powerful and invasive abrasion, what harsh noise should be

Life In A Peaceful New World by Mo・Te [first]

really dense and it sounds like buildings are crashing down or something. almost post-apocalyptic in nature, very dark and desolate. is desolation peaceful?

Mode Of Infection / Knife Ladder by NON [first]

noisy industrial oddball goodness

The Legendary Chinese Hits Vol. 17 by ... Xianglan] [first]

no massively strong feelings but there's some really pretty, cinematic moments here that melt my heart

now i am very sleepy and must do the zzz nightie night
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/25/2016 00:54
  • Post subject:
24th April, 2016

shit i listened to today (all first listens):

Chance Meeting On A Dissecting Table Of...With Wound

meh. certainly chaotic but with no edge to it. just plain boring tbh

King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo

pleasant but nothing amazing beyond the title track

Instruments Disorder by The Gerogerigegege

now this is chaos with edge to it. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

As Loud As Possible by Incapacitants

a bit too monotonous. i like what it does but not for 70 minutes

常夏姫 by きどりっこ [Kidorikko]

god bless japanese oddball synth for existing

やっぱり by 楽 い音楽 [Tanoshii Ongaku]

god bless japanese oddball synth for existing [2]

this one's even lovelier

Kanashibari by Haniwa-Chan

god bless japanese oddball synth for existing [3]

Cell-Scape by Melt-Banana

noise rock/art punk vibes ending with a really atmospheric 10 minute electronic thing. really enjoyable stuff, no idea how i hadn't heard this yet

--

a little thing i decided to do - songs that have made me go "wow" in the past week or so:

Link

just the most gorgeous melodies and instrumentation - cheesy retrofuturistic 80s funky synthpop and an explosive chorus. what's not to love?

Link

beautiful melodies, chill vibe, i love it

Link

fabulously energetic disco

Link

i started watching Shinrayku! Ika Musume which uses this fab denpa single that i heard a few months ago and i'm hooked. SHINRYAKU! SHINRYAKU! SHINRYAKU! SHINRYAKU! SHINRYAKU! SHINRYAKU! IKA MUSUME KYUN!

Link

this is it WHAT

Link

fab deep house choon

Link

forget everything bad i ever said about this, it's fabulous in every way. that guitar melody after the chorus kills me every time.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/30/2016 23:43
  • Post subject:
30th April, 2016

Kakashi by Yasuaki Shimizu

japanese art pop w/ jazzy n dub influences, very lovely stuff

Long Season by Fishmans

how have i only just listened to this? idk. really great stuff, vibe to that wispy dreamy dub pop shit

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter by The...tring Band

wew lad. this is like one big british pastoral dream. beautiful psych folk
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/01/2016 02:10
  • Post subject:
Wow... this is a mine of stuff to check out. Something I'll have to dig more into.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/01/2016 23:47
  • Post subject:
1st May, 2016

regarding notation, from now on I'll put [relisten] next to relistens and leave new listens blank. i listen to more new stuff than i relisten (and definitely post about new listens more, since you don't need to know every time i relisten to a favourite or sth)

Japanese Disco Edits by YUNG BAE [relisten]

much love. energetic, euphoric, slick, funky vaporwave. perfect length. Yung Bae is right on the money with this EP

BAE 2 by YUNG BAE

once again Bae's attempts to create a consistent and sustained full-length has failed. enjoyable overall but a lot of songs that are very weak.

Sacrifice by Black Widow

expected: demonic hard rock. got: cheesy british folk/jazz informed prog rock and it's absolutely fantastic (shoutout to Steppenwolf666 for this one).

It'll All Work Out In Boomland by T2

really great prog rock/heavy psych. love this kind of aesthetic Very Happy
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/19/2016 03:59
  • Post subject:
oh dear i have a month's worth of stuff to report on lol

Hentai Visions by YUNG BAE [first - 2/5]

Anibae by YUNG BAE [first - 2/5]

love from soundcloud by スーパーセ...UPERSEX420 [first - 2/5]

Lovestory by Desired [first - 2/5]

Through Space To See You by Future Girlfriend 音楽 [first - 2/5]

Do Not Eat by Harpy [first - 7/5]

Snowflakes Are Dancing by Isao Tomita [first - 8/5] [relistening now (19/5)]

beautiful atmospheres - very icy. gorgeous impressionistic ambiance that ripples around in your mind

Don't Send Me Flowers by Twa Toots [first - 8/5]

Lil Boat The Mixtape by Lil Yachty [first - 9/5]

this brand of poppy trap rap is undeniable. lovely, gorgeous bubblegummy melodies with decadent trap beats. lil yachty hype club

If You're Reading This It's Too Late by Drake [first - 14/5]

Know Yourself is like one of the best songs ever and this mixtape bangs

DS2 by Future [first - 14/5] + loads of relistens

been on this one a lot recently. very dark and dripping and oozing with cloudy atmospheres. everything i love about cloudy trap rap in one.

What A Time To Be Alive by Drake & Future - [first - 15/5]

eh it's pretty good, a few really good songs as well as the essential Jumpman

Lemonade by Beyoncé [first - 15/5]

powerful

The Life Of Pablo by Kanye West [first - 15/5]

i really liked this actually, not much to say but i put it off for so long bc i thought it was going to just be boring but i actually really loved certain parts

LiveLoveA$AP by A$AP Rocky [first - 15/5]

it starts off really strong and sorta fades out, though it's still p good as a whole

Bottomless Pit by Death Grips [first - 15/5]

wew lad. digital hardcore influence here and there to make really full-on industrial hip hop. the first thing i've really found exciting of theirs since The Money Store - everything else they've released has been pretty bland.

Take Care by Drake [relisten - 18/5]

it's just perfect real melancholic pop rap/dreamy R&B

Human Conflict Number Five by 10,000 Maniacs [first - 19/5]

really fun jangle/indie pop EP from 1982: very raw original sounds for indie pop as it was only a newborn thing. but yeah oddly fresh for such an early indiepop recording. love this kinda stuff.