Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/17/2015 01:04
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
when I and a bunch of other BEAers were going through the RYM charts (man, we really failed that project)

we fail em all #ripsingleboyz
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2015 03:06
  • Post subject:
Okay, so

Oblivion Access by Lil Ugly Mane just leaked, and I discovered....
I am not a LIM fan.

When Third Side of Tape came out, those genre tags were so amazing that I wanted it to be the best hip-hop album of the year. And to be sure, I had some great memories playing it in the car with my girlfriend Merideth over the summer. But I personally find his brand of experimentation more sorta boring to listen to in full. And his rapping just sounds so....Eminem-style. I dunno, I didn't like it that much.

So I decided to next listen to

ARDIPITHICUS by Willow Smith, and I ended up really loving it. Her Bjork-Lorde imitation hybrid vocals are so much fun in their artiness, and the art-pop instrumentation is just the perfect balance of pop hooks and experimental quirkiness for me.

BUT WAIT, after listening to

Third Side Of Tape by Lil Ugly Mane
Again ("Side 1-B" and "Side 2-A"), I just realized that this works better than I remembered it to be. This really may be one of the top 50 albums of the year. Man, judging music is hard.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2015 20:55
  • Post subject:
Okay, so at the end of 2012, I thought

Overexposed by Maroon 5 was the worst album of the year, yet it was the best of the year by my girlfriend at the time (and several of our mutual friends). She told me back then:
Quote:
...It speaks to me... it is definitely more of a girls album though. [But] to me, it sounds like the soundtrack to a barefoot summer night under the stars with your lover . . . 

Later in my review, I argued against this, saying:
Quote:
Take the lyrics of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me", and use them as an instruction manual for producing beats and vocals, and you basically have this album.

Forgive me for beating a dead horse further, but I can't say it enough: THIS ALBUM IS SO DISGUSTINGLY SACCHARINE, THEY PROBABLY HIRED FREAKING SPLENDA AS A SPONSOR!!!!!

But enough about sugar. While my last girlfriend may have fetishized that crap, I personally do not, especially not with my music.

The other great way to look at Maroon 5's new album is all in it's title: Like a really bad photo (or alternatively, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey), the processing is so excessive here that it drowns out any soul whatsoever that was in the original product. The album cover describes the concept perfectly, while also being a precursor for the horrid sounds that lie within. It's all medium, no product. All filler, no killer.

Of course, production mistakes happen all the time, so how do we know that this wasn't almost a good record like Songs About Jane? Well, with a quick Google search, you will discover two facts about the production of the album that will make your stomach churn:
1. The whole album was made as an afterthought cash-in for that terrible Moves Like Jagger single. If Adam Levine wouldn't have made boatloads of money off this, he would've never bothered with it.
2. MOST OF THE BAND DIDN'T EVEN PLAY ON THIS RECORD!!! One of my favorite things regarding Songs About Jane was the fun jazz musicianship, and how tight everyone was. But here, it's been well-documented that they simply sat in the corner while Adam and Max Martin farted out beats.

Guys, I don't have a problem with pop music. Call Me Maybe was my #1 favorite single of the year, and her album Kiss is on my top 100 favorite albums ever!

But pop or not, I need some sort of soul to my music. Even with Skrillex, he at least exudes lots of passion for his "art".

But this is like the crunkcore equivalent of what the Beatles argued about with Yesterday And Today / Revolver, except now Adam Levine is rubbing saccharine in the babies' wounds.

...Yeah, I wasn't nearly as poptimist back then as I am now. And listening to the album today, songs like "One More Night" sound like downright bangers, and many of the other singles don't trail far behind. What do you all think about the album?
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2015 21:15
  • Post subject:
I think Overexposed is less Maroon 5 and more Adam Levine/Max Martin. I like Maroon 5, but not on that album, it felt cold and emotionless. It felt like something that was quickly thrown together to capitalize on Levine's fame with The Voice. It didn't feel to me like Levine, or even the rest of the band, had their hearts in this, it felt like a money play.

I will say though, the bonus track Prince cover is pretty sick.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2015 21:21
  • Post subject:
blacksaintsinnerLAD wrote:
we fail em all #ripsingleboyz
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2015 20:51
  • Post subject:

People's Choice Music by Komar, Melamid...ve Soldier

I've obviously known about this mythical study for years because of Let's Talk About Love, but never did I realize it would be one of the most beautiful compositions I have ever heard in EP form. I really love the "Most Wanted Song", especially with those Kenny G solos, but "The Most Unwanted Song" almost is what I love about music. In all, this is a music about taste, and how, good or bad, it can be a beautiful, beautiful thing to stretch.
(And that kid choir is the greatest embodiment of children's music I've ever heard)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 03:05
  • Post subject:

Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson

So over the past 24 hours I've been speeding through New Yorker writer John Seabrook's The Song Machine, a great new book at the making of modern pop since the late eighties. We all know Max Martin and Dr. Luke, but what you probably didn't know is that in the early to mid 2000s, Max was tired of being thought of as a "teen-pop" producer. After meeting Dr. Luke at a NYC club and studying his synthetic-rock style he would produce with, they put together the instrumental for "Since U Been Gone". But when Clive Davis presented it to Kelly Clarkson, she absolutely hated the pop sensibilities. She wanted to write her own songs, and really share her painful upbringing with the world. Even the finished album disgusted her. (And Clive Davis's douchery didn't help, as he said a lot of not-nice things to Kelly during their confrontations)

The strange thing about that, though, is how Max and Luke's compressed, tinny production on this album makes it one of the most beautiful, immersive, heartfelt recordings of the 2000s. As crazy as it sounds, this really did make Max Martin a serious artist along with Kelly, and that production is what the all-acoustic set-up of My December was so sorely missing. I used to have this at #85 on my chart, but now I've convinced it's more than top 50 quality, a milestone in pop music history and one of the most perfect LPst the contemporary "Song Machine" has ever released.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/03/2016 04:20
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Razz Ruh-roh. I've been caught.

I really was unimpressed by the single, and I really thought it did leak.

You probably shouldn't claim to listen to something you haven't actually heard in full.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 14:45
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Applerill wrote:

You probably shouldn't claim to listen to something you haven't actually heard in full.

Wink I already deleted the rating, Gowi. I deleted it nearly a month ago.
(Though if someone's willing to get me a link to the leak, I can surely listen to it again and rate it, but I will not be able to torrent it before release).
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 14:58
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Gowi wrote:
Applerill wrote:

Wink I already deleted the rating, Gowi. I deleted it nearly a month ago.

Well...the fact that you deleted the rating doesn't seem to be the real issue. And the fact that others had rated it before you doesn't really make it less than what it is. The real issue, to me anyway, would be that you knowingly rated an album, thereby declaring that you had heard it, when in fact you knew that you had not heard it. Which makes it not a matter of a mistaken rating, but of integrity. So, how are we supposed to believe that you have actually at least listened to the albums you are rating and reviewing? Which ratings and reviews are real...and which ones are not?

Think
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website