From the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota: Rocky's Log

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2024 16:09
  • Post subject:
Well I just discovered a band I never knew before that I'm now in love with - Love Sculpture

These two albums are incredible

Blues Helping by Love Sculpture

Forms And Feelings by Love Sculpture

Absolutely ridiculous stuff here. If you're unfamiliar, Love Sculpture kind of have a Ten Years After/Cream-style sound. Very rooted in blues with a dash of the psychedelic rock of the late-60s thrown in. But what's truly astounding about these albums is Dave Edmunds' guitar playing. The guy can absolutely shred, and I'm blown away by his playing on both of these albums.

The first album is mostly blues covers, all of which are great. The second album also has some blues covers but also has a couple originals that are fabulous (In the Land of the Few is especially good), and on top of that, we get two tracks of the band arranging two classical pieces - Farandole and Sabre Dance - and both sound awesome.

If you're a guitar nerd like me or if you love Ten Years After and their soundalike bands, Love Sculpture is a must-listen for sure. Now I'm going to have to check out the rest of Dave Edmunds' stuff.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/21/2024 05:35
  • Post subject:
Liking your thread Bro.
It's eclectic and upbeat!
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 17:07
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Well I just discovered a band I never knew before that I'm now in love with - Love Sculpture

These two albums are incredible

Blues Helping by Love Sculpture

Forms And Feelings by Love Sculpture

Absolutely ridiculous stuff here. If you're unfamiliar, Love Sculpture kind of have a Ten Years After/Cream-style sound. Very rooted in blues with a dash of the psychedelic rock of the late-60s thrown in. But what's truly astounding about these albums is Dave Edmunds' guitar playing. The guy can absolutely shred, and I'm blown away by his playing on both of these albums.

The first album is mostly blues covers, all of which are great. The second album also has some blues covers but also has a couple originals that are fabulous (In the Land of the Few is especially good), and on top of that, we get two tracks of the band arranging two classical pieces - Farandole and Sabre Dance - and both sound awesome.

If you're a guitar nerd like me or if you love Ten Years After and their soundalike bands, Love Sculpture is a must-listen for sure. Now I'm going to have to check out the rest of Dave Edmunds' stuff.

Edmunds' best solo albums are these, IMO. They aren't REALLY solo albums, though. The band is Rockpile (who were great as well), but they couldn't record for awhile under that name, so Edmunds and Nick Lowe released the recordings as solo albums. Try these:

Get It by Dave Edmunds

Tracks On Wax 4 by Dave Edmunds

Also...Edmunds recorded this live album in 1997 with Swedish band The Refreshments. He plays some wild guitar here. The album was recorded by my good friend and former guitar player Kenneth Skoglund.

A Pile Of Rock Live by Dave Edmunds
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 18:18
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Liking your thread Bro.
It's eclectic and upbeat!

Thanks! I appreciate it! I need to get better at posting in it more consistently

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 18:21
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Edmunds' best solo albums are these, IMO. They aren't REALLY solo albums, though. The band is Rockpile (who were great as well), but they couldn't record for awhile under that name, so Edmunds and Nick Lowe released the recordings as solo albums. Try these:

Get It by Dave Edmunds

Tracks On Wax 4 by Dave Edmunds

Also...Edmunds recorded this live album in 1997 with Swedish band The Refreshments. He plays some wild guitar here. The album was recorded by my good friend and former guitar player Kenneth Skoglund.

A Pile Of Rock Live by Dave Edmunds

Oh man, this is great, I will absolutely dig into these. I had never heard of Dave Edmunds before I dug into Love Sculpture and I love his guitar playing so I can't wait to dive into more of his stuff

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2024 23:34
  • Post subject:

The Cowsills by The Cowsills

I feel like I've given sunshine pop from the 60s a bad rap in my head. I found this album in the bargain bin of my local record store and thought to myself, hey, I like The Rain, The Park, & Other Things, why not grab this and give it a shot?

I definitely thought just by looking at the cover and knowing who The Cowsills are (the family band that inspired The Partridge Family show) that this would be pretty basic, white bread music, but for a couple of bucks and knowing I already like one of the songs, I figured why not?

And you know what? This album is actually pretty fun. Yeah, it's definitely 60s sunshine pop, but you can definitely hear the influence of the psychedelic rock movement on it (it came out in 1967, so right in the height of the movement), and it makes for a pretty fun, easy-to-listen-to album.

It's funny, I had the exact same experience with this album:

Anything You Choose B/W Without Rhyme O...d Our Gang

Same deal - snagged it out of a bargain bin (I have a rule that if an album has a cool cover and it's less than $10, I'll buy it, even if I have no clue what it is), listened to it, and it turned out to be pretty fun sunshine pop, this time from 1969.

Sounds like I need to give the genre more of a chance

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2024 00:54
  • Post subject:

Himself by Gilbert O'Sullivan

Another grab from the record store bargain bin - I obviously new Alone Again (Naturally) but that was it from Gilbert O'Sullivan. The copy of this album I picked up has that song on it (which is a great song) but the rest of the album turned out to be pretty fun too!

It's a really easy-to-listen-to pop album that sounds a LOT like something Paul McCartney would've written. Really fun album, glad I grabbed it!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 41 hours ago
  • Post subject:

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The Fi...us Artists

Found a copy of Vol. 1 & 2 of this album at my local record store and I couldn’t have bought it faster.

Man I forgot how great this album is. This album (specifically Vol. 1) was so important and formative for me when I was in high school. I was getting into 60s psychedelic rock and of course grabbed this album.

There are so many incredible tunes on here, honestly I am so glad this and Vol. 2 exist, because they gave a bunch of otherwise overlooked and unknown psychedelic rock bands (who are really good!) a place to shine. It’s an awesome snapshot in one of the most interesting and musically fertile time periods in American rock music history and I love it so much.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 29 hours ago
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The Fi...us Artists

Found a copy of Vol. 1 & 2 of this album at my local record store and I couldn’t have bought it faster.

Man I forgot how great this album is. This album (specifically Vol. 1) was so important and formative for me when I was in high school. I was getting into 60s psychedelic rock and of course grabbed this album.

There are so many incredible tunes on here, honestly I am so glad this and Vol. 2 exist, because they gave a bunch of otherwise overlooked and unknown psychedelic rock bands (who are really good!) a place to shine. It’s an awesome snapshot in one of the most interesting and musically fertile time periods in American rock music history and I love it so much.

Love Love Love
  • Visit poster's website