United States

• Posted: 12/19/2020 18:16
  • Post subject:
Fucking awesome write-up, brother! Loved it!!! Applause
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 12/19/2020 23:04
  • Post subject:
having a fab time combing through all this. lots of incredible sounding recommendations presented with that unmistakably Jimmy Dread touch. just in time for the holidays
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/20/2020 19:45
  • Post subject:
12" Of Pleasure

3. JAH SCREECHY - "Walk & Skank"

The year is 1992. Rave has gone overground and 'toytown' techno is all the rage, at least for the kids watching Top Of The Pops. Whilst the genre has its occasional high moments (and despite what others may think, I still rate The Prodigy's "Charley" up there with the best of them), dire tracks by the likes of the Smart Es ("Sesame's Treat") and Shaft ("Roobarb & Custard") start to infect the minds of teenyboppers who probably think that this kind of music is commonplace in warehouses up and down the land. Luckily I was a little bit more savvy by this point, listening to Orbital (see previous entries), Beltram, LFO and the like. But nevertheless shoehorning references to British kids TV programmes was considered fair game for chart-bound house/techno-lite in the early 90s, and in many ways mimicked the nods to childhood that were prevalent in British psych during the First Summer of Love. Only with Lewis Carroll replaced by a cartoon character narrated by Richard Briers.

Given the uptempo vibe, BP, record label (XL - also home to the Prodigy) and timing (not the mention the break, featuring an electric piano and siren during the middle eight), SL2's "On A Ragga Tip" fitted in nicely to the scene, although Slipmatt and Lime (the SL in SL2, and not a reference to the postcode for the post part of Slough, as I later discovered) had already released the anthemic "DJs Take Control" by this point, so were hardly Johnny-Come-Latelys to the party. The hook however wasn't the frenetic breakbeat or the synths, but rather the sample that opened the track: Ay Ay ba day, Ba waddli-die day, Im ba day ba day, Ba waddli-die day... GWAN.

Fast-forward 10 years or so and with my teenage rave days consigned to my musical memory bank (in fact, I'd lobbed a lot of my Rave CDs out by then, for some unbeknown reason that probably felt perfectly rational at the time) and I'd fallen for 'reggae' in a big way. Regular trips to Soho's Daddy Kool and a nascent Sounds of the Universe yielded Trojan reissues and Studio One classics (on vinyl, of course), I'd ditched Britpop and started pushing the envelope of my tastes to such an extent that the glue came unstuck. Soul Jazz compilations were instrumental in this, and still to this day I get excited whenever I see them bringing something new out (by the way, their latest - "Black Riot", which is a set of early jungle and hardcore tracks - is highly recommended). After devouring the Dynamite series (100% Dynamite being my favourite VA compy of all-time) I eventually stumbled across their set of British MCs - "An England Story". Listening to it for the first time, with the likes of General Levy and Tenor Fly, I'd already heard enough killers to make it worth my while. And then... track 10... I've heard this sample before... THAT'S BLOODY SL2 M8.

"Walk And Skank" still makes me dance around like a loon no matter how many times I hear it. It's the soundtrack to a trip from Brixton tube, past Lambeth Town Hall and down Acre Lane to Supertone. It's rocking down Electric Avenue to Coldharbour Lane to check out Blacker Dread's wares. It's a life-affirming, head-nodding ride on the top deck of a Routemaster bus down the Old Kent Road. It's the dancefloor filler that'll get the whole damn crowd 'pon di floor. It's so fuckin' London it hurts.

Built around the Never Let Go (aka Answer) Riddim that first featured on a Slim Smith track for Studio One (and if you've read my Studio One Top 50 earlier in this diary you know how highly I rate that combination), "Walk And Skank" had the authentic JA dancehall DNA but a pure London style, and interestingly shared the same riddim as Smiley Culture's "Police Officer", which originated out of Dub Vendor's Fashion stable/sound system. With "Walk And Skank" coming out of Brixton's Blacker Dread shop and Sir Coxsone's system, it was almost a retread of the Duke Reid/Coxsone Dodd days of the 60s.

If there's one track guaranteed to get every fucker out of their seat, this is it. It's also the only 12" I've got two copies of, the second of which - in some divine twist of fate - has "On A Ragga Trip" on the flip.

Link

• Visit poster's website