Good Bye, Lenin!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2016 03:01
  • Post subject:
Well here's my new overall... I think I like it... still milling it over (debating between the whole one album per artist dilemma).

Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by sethmadsen

And then my albums which I rated 100-82:

Top Rated Albums 1-100 by sethmadsen
Top Rated Albums 101-200 by sethmadsen
Top Rated Albums 201-300 by sethmadsen
Top Rated Albums 301-400 by sethmadsen

This means I'm done with my goals #1 and #3.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2016 04:21
  • Post subject:
This is supposedly my top 100 artists... I didn't touch the data at all, but probably will delete some line items/clean this up later.

Things I learned from this data:
1) this isn't extensive yet and is FAR FAR from perfect… need to listen to/rate entire discography for math to really add up right, but it's a good start.

2) Debating to put solo projects together or separate (Thom York and Eddie Vedder, for example, currently removed altogether or stuff like Band of Gypsys for Jimi Hendrix)

3) Deleting an artist where I only listened to their Magnum Opus (Minute Men/Jeff Buckley/Spiritualized, etc.) would let me see those "big artists" more clearly (and the whole point of this is the average, so a one album average is kind of cheating... show me a 30 year career...).

(oh, that's probably important to note, this is the album average of artists I listened to this year, only some are comprehensive discographies)

4) Don't think I can quite mark this goal off... not sure if I even agree with this data.

Rank Band Score
1 Igor Markevitch / Vienna Philharmonic 100
2 As Tall As Lions 95.4
3 Leo Kottke 95
4 The Beautiful South 93.6
5 Nirvana 93.4
6 The Anniversary 92.8
7 U2 92.7
8 Little Richard 92.5
9 Radiohead 91.5
10 Foo Fighers 91.4
11 Muse 91.2
12 Atoms For Peace 91.1
13 Alexi Murdoch 90.4
14 Fiona Apple 90
15 Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt / Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra 90
16 Juanes 90
17 AFI 89.6
18 Arcade Fire 89.5
19 Weezer 89.5
20 The Allman Brothers Band 89.3
21 Red Hot Chili Peppers 88.9
22 The Smashing Pumpkins 88.9
23 Eddie Vedder 88.1
24 R.E.M. 88
25 The Beatles 88
26 Beck 87.9
27 The Velvet Underground 87.8
28 Rage Against The Machine 87.7
29 Jeff Buckley 87
30 Minutemen 87
31 Thrice 86.8
32 Jonsi 86.6
33 Royal Blood 86.5
34 John Lennon 86.1
35 John Lennon & Yoko Ono 86.1
36 LCD Soundsystem 86.1
37 Camouflage 86
38 Bob Marley And The Wailers 85.9
39 Philip Glass 85.8
40 Creedence Clearwater Revival 85.7
41 Black Sabbath 85.6
42 Fu Manchu 85.6
43 Sigur Ros 85.6
44 Paul Simon 85.4
45 Elbow 85.2
46 Spiritualized 85.2
47 Art Garfunkel 85
48 Carl Perkins 85
49 Cowboy Junkies 85
50 Don McLean 85
51 Elizabeth Cotten 85
52 Eyes Lips Eyes 85
53 Gary Clark Jr. 85
54 Howlin' Wolf 85
55 Jerry Lee Lewis 85
56 Mike Oldfield 85
57 N.W.A 85
58 Neu! 85
59 Peter Gabriel 85
60 Roberta Flack 85
61 The Black Angels 85
62 The Kingston Trio 85
63 Santana 84.6
64 Led Zeppelin 84.4
65 Public Enemy 84.3
66 The Black Keys 84.2
67 Sly and the Family Stone 84.1
68 Thom Yorke 84.1
69 Queens Of The Stone Age 84
70 Band Of Gypsys 83.7
71 Parliament 83.7
72 The Jimi Hendrix Experience 83.7
73 Adele 83.6
74 Simon And Garfunkel 83.6
75 Coldplay 83.5
76 Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five 83.5
77 Jack White 83.5
78 Lorde 83.5
79 Nas 83.4
80 Nas And Damian Marley 83.4
81 Marvin Gaye 83.3
82 Vampire Weekend 83.2
83 The Doors 83.1
84 Amy Winehouse 83
85 Animals As Leaders 83
86 Chance The Rapper 83
87 Gipsy Kings 83
88 The Airborne Toxic Event 83
Siouxsie & The Banshees 83
89 Fugees 82.8
90 Portishead 82.8
91 Curtis Mayfield 82.7
92 Violent Femmes 82.6
93 Louis Prima 82.5
94 Operation Ivy 82.5
95 Sting 82.5
96 Mutemath 82.4
97 The Shins 82.4
98 Brand New 82.2
99 Neutral Milk Hotel 82.2
100 T. Rex 82.2
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2016 04:52
  • Post subject:
Playlist time! (Goal 5... partially done with this...)

These work if logged into play.spotify.com... it takes you to the home page first and then like 3 seconds later re-directs to the playlist.

Albums:
Overall: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...CXDuUMcnZI
1950s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...QrBnPZ8WHd
1960s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...ueGHZkeCIi
1970s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...jqP50YHrjz
1980s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...yMw7GUXUjb
1990s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...77POYFkWuF
2000s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...7FntmIev2p
2010s: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...CoSGevnXzD

Songs should go here, but for now:

BEA top songs: https://play.spotify.com/user/122614575...F4T5RrStof

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/07/2016 05:03; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/07/2016 04:52
  • Post subject:
So If I understanding well: If you have listened to one great album of a band it's on top and If you have listened to one good and mediocre album (with other good unlistened albums) it will not even appear here; I suppose you would rank the 4 highest lower and U2 higher If you would have the choice;

Indeed You'll need to find something that more emphasises the legacy of an artist. For Me the Beatles maybe wouldn't have the best ranked albums as a whole but because of their legacy value (connected with top music of course) I would put them on top of my list.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2016 05:02
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
So If I understanding well: If you have listened to one great album of a band it's on top and If you have listened to one good and mediocre album (with other good unlistened albums) it will not even appear here; I suppose you would rank the 4 highest lower and U2 higher If you would have the choice;

Indeed You'll need to find something that more emphasises the legacy of an artist. For Me the Beatles maybe wouldn't have the best ranked albums as a whole but because of their legacy value (connected with top music of course) I would put them on top of my list.

Correct... (And I totally agree with everything you said) if an artist has a 90 album and then 3 80 albums, then they would have a score of 82.5.

And I totally agree that artist ranking plays way more than what their albums state, but I think it interesting that maybe what I think an artist should be ranked as or what society/cultural history rates an artist as... maybe the music doesn't "add" up like it should according to those preconceived thoughts... I think this is more or less what I'm getting at, or trying to at least.

The list is also totally not comprehensive. Weezer, for example, isn't including their worst albums (Raditude and Hurley). I totally skipped over them, so that score is skewed. Most of the big bands have at least 5 or more albums listened to though, so the score is within the ball park at least.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2016 05:09
  • Post subject:
An adjusted list probably would look like this (incomplete discography scores, not adjusting for band's impact or anything outside the album score averages):

And of course this is an opinion/attempt for me to create a list similar to this, but catered to me (and I don't quite agree with this yet either, but that's what the data says):
BEA Top Ranked Bands

Rank Band Band
1 Nirvana 93.4
2 U2 92.7
3 Little Richard 92.5
4 Radiohead 91.5
5 Foo Fighers 91.4
6 Muse 91.2
7 Arcade Fire 89.5
8 Weezer 89.5
9 The Allman Brothers Band 89.3
10 Red Hot Chili Peppers 88.9
11 The Smashing Pumpkins 88.9
12 R.E.M. 88
13 The Beatles 88
14 Beck 87.9
15 The Velvet Underground 87.8
16 Rage Against The Machine 87.7
17 Thrice 86.8
18 John Lennon 86.1
19 LCD Soundsystem 86.1
20 Bob Marley And The Wailers 85.9
21 Creedence Clearwater Revival 85.7
22 Black Sabbath 85.6
23 Sigur Ros 85.6
24 Paul Simon 85.4
25 Elbow 85.2
26 Santana 84.6
27 Led Zeppelin 84.4
28 The Black Keys 84.2
29 Sly and the Family Stone 84.1
30 Queens Of The Stone Age 84
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/12/2016 05:44
  • Post subject:

The Joshua Tree by U2

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
"I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls That hold me inside"

The layers of organ that open this album up are sometimes so heavenly to me. It might sound corny to some, but I love it; it really lifts my spirit, then this majestic guitar cuts in. The intro just is amazing. Then comes in this pulsing rhythm of bass and drums, switching the 3/4 to 4/4. And the vocals on this... I just want to shout them from the rooftops. So much life and power in them. The guitar becomes both rhythmically interesting and melodic in their intricacies that you really have to pay attention to to realize all the different things he does.

2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
"I have spoke with the tongue of angels; I have held the hand of the devil."

I wish when the 3rd guitar part comes in at 14 seconds it was a bit more powerful. I think my favorite part of this track is the drums, to be honest, that little bass drum fill he does at the end of the phrase is catchy to me. Again, if you aren't paying attention you won't notice the 3 really interesting guitar parts on this track. The vocals again are just full of life. Bono really gives all his heart. The religious struggle of wanting to find God but not finding is very interesting to me... something so alienating/isolating, yet is a struggle all go through, whether Atheist or religious.

3. With Or Without You
"And you give yourself away..."

I know this song has become really cheap for some people, but think back to when you heard it for the first time, unadulterated by that Friends episode and all of those terrible moments... think back to when that guitar part sung beautifully above everything else. Again with the amazing tracking of 3 guitar parts. The infinite guitar (that's what it really is called, he didn't use an e-bow) is just amazing... it's like this angelic lap steel guitar. Love the guitar part that erupts near the end... I think the Edge said it is his favorite guitar solo because it doesn't have too many notes. Possibly the most iconic 4 note bass line... yes it is just the typical 4 chord punk song structure, but something is just solid about it. The drums again are top notch and one of my favorite drum parts.

4. Bullet The Blue Sky
"And I can see those fighter planes"
Wow. This is possibly one of U2's hardest hitting songs the've ever written. Easily the hardest drum and bass tracking from the band. That beat and bassline are so fun to play and so tight and good. The guitar solo is just amazing. I can visualize a jet fitter with it and at 3:55 is like when the bombs hit, and that feed back an image of the after burners. Lyrically, it paints a picture of an America every 'Mericun needs to understand.

5. Running To Stand Still
"You got to cry without weeping; Talk without speaking; Scream without raising your voice"

I love the slide guitar in the beginning of this track, it is FANTASTIC... then silently joins another guitar and piano into the mix. A terribly beautiful song about addiction. Again, vocally, I want to just shout these vocals. They really get into my soul. The way the harmonica goes out with the guitar again, this time not so much slide.

6. Red Hill Mining Town
"You're all that's left to hold on to"
"Love, slowly stripped away;Love, has seen its better day"

The guitar work again (3 parts) is great on this. I think the middle of the song gets slightly tiresome, but then Bono takes it up t

7. In God's Country
"Dreamed I saw a desert rose"

Fantastic Guitar work!!! Again with the 3 parts in the intro and then at least 2 throughout the rest of the album. Actually the more I pay attention there's quite a few guitars layered with different rhythms, etc. Another fantastic drum part. Love the turnaround right after the chorus. I love how hard the guitar hits yet isn't a metal thing, rather this heavenly explosion at 2:57.

8. Trip Through Your Wires
"Still shakin', still in pain; You put me back together again."

Love those big boomy drums at the beginning like they were recorded in an empty warehouse or something. Somehow adds to the almost folk/workin' mans sound I feel this song has. I love the shouting by Bono and his harmonica solo and how it leads into that bright explosion of guitar.

9. One Tree Hill
"Where poets speak their heart; Then bleed for it"

The drums really carry this song, and the bass lets those drums breath well (again less is often more). The layered guitar work is fantastic. That guitar rhythm that starts it out is very 80s... this is probably the most dated song on the album in my opinion as being very 80s like... I feel Eno probably had the most influence on this song 2:38 to about 2:50 has a really interesting treatment on a guitar. The explosion of vocals at about 4 minutes... wow... and then the guitar catches up about 4:15... I love how this song builds.

10. Exit
"Saw the hands that build; Can also pull down"

The composition of this song is so fantastic to me... he runs through these lyrics all in the first 2 minutes to leave the last 2 minutes to almost without lyric. Such a powerful song... I absolutely love the rhythm. It is so explosive. They dynamic range of this song... well I can't really think of something so quite and yet so explosive... absolutely stunning. And are those real crickets? It almost feels as if you are walking in this field and someone is chasing you... the hands of love that can also pull down.

11. Mothers Of The Disappeared
"Night hangs like a prisoner; Stretched over black and blue"
A chilling song layered by Eno and Edge of almost a pitter patter of the rainfall and the majestic heavenly sounds... of a chilling subject.

Overall Experience:
This album is just intrinsically a part of me in so many ways. I grew up on the album, driving the desert (Mojave) between St. George, UT, Las Vegas, NV, and Los Angeles, CA. This album and that desert imagery just melds so well together... the beauty of the desert is so clean. I've probably heard this album at least 2k times in my life time and it never bores me. It reminds me of a time when my family was still together. It reminds me of a friend who knew I loved this band, and even though everyone else hated them, he made them play a few songs off of it while I visited (after I moved to LA) a yearbook signing. In other words, it reminds me of times in my life when I experienced true love.

So nostalgia plays a decent role in this being my #1 album... but even today, it always seems to cheer me up and fill me with life, no matter how shitty life can be. (Today was pretty shitty and as I'm reviewing this I'm filled with life). The album is just full of a zest for life somehow to me. It also musically was important to me. I learned how to play just about every bass line on this album... they were powerful important bass lines, yet easy enough for a beginner to learn. It taught me the importance of being the bassist that holds everything together, yet having a bass line that is almost melodic in nature... and the bass tone sits will in the mix. The more I think about it, I feel this is the Edge's best guitar work as well with all the layers of guitar parts, etc. I know his 90s work has tons of effects layered (check out a picture of his pedal board, it'd short circuit most people's brain just thinking about all the config that goes into setting it up like that), but straight unadulterated guitar work... this is it. Bono's vocals are always belting something passionate and keeps the songs at top notch throughout the album. While this album has some of Larry's best drum parts, I don't feel as a whole it's terribly interesting for him, he does the job of a good drummer - keeps everything super tight and isn't showing off too much.

In the end, this record has the philosophy/political/religious/social/ things to keep me mentally engaged, and the album has the heart of a lion for passion. I am mentally and "spiritually" bettered by this album every time I listen to it. An absolute masterpiece in my book.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2016 02:21
  • Post subject:
It's a start... I'm gonna save it now and update later.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
I've always liked the sound of an orchestra tuning/getting ready before the silence and then the first movement starts. Fantastic way to start a fantastic album. And it's kind of no wonder why Jimi Hendrix covered this a day after the release... it's a pretty heavy guitar part for the Beatles. Of course it has it's touches by Mr. Martin, but overall it probably is one of the Beatles more raw "rock" songs.

2. With A Little Help From My Friends
Easily Ringo's best song. Lyrically one of their more funny/witty. Next to the vocals, the bass work in this song is probably the most intriguing, not a whole lot going on with the other instruments, but I do like the chord it ends on.

3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Look Daddy, it's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds! It totally is a logical thought to say this song is about LSD... totally trippy in lyrics, but really it was the creativity of a little boy... so says The Beatles: Anthology anyway. The intro is just fantastic with the (I think) electric piano, bass and vocal, and then sitar or similar sounding instrument. The explosion of the chorus is fantastic after that drum slam... boom boom. There's this video talking about how great of a drummer Ringo was (stylistically and to the song) and Dave Grohl said only Ringo can sound bad ass doing the simplest thing the Boom Boom.

4. Getting Better
LOVE the super high guitar on this and then alternating rhythms... between the two here and there. Then it cuts to super rad drums/bass. The vocals are super solid too and an upbeat song that you can really have hope in, instead of a karo-syrup pop song. The middle 8 is a bit creepy about abuse, but musically is brilliant, and to be honest... this was a dude in the 60s stating that that was terrible and that he's doing better... who was admitting abuse was bad in the 60s?

5. Fixing A Hole
Some how the lyrics of this song paint a very psychedelic world to me. This internal mind wandering or what I call lately rabbit holes where the mind is such a vast world, you really can wonder forever about "where it will go". It's both a hell of some sort to constantly wonder and the foundation of humanity: to think. Some really interesting guitar work on here too with what sounds like a bit of a open wah.

6. She's Leaving Home
"How could she do this to me"
The lyrics of this song kind of get to me as "leaving home" means a bit more to me than the average Joe. And the parents being absolutely oblivious. Plus the arrangement of this is way more beautiful than Eleanor Rigby to me. That falsetto polyphonic chorus is absolutely gorgeous as they belt out "she". The arrangement gets really interesting near the end, the harp, cello, violin, vocals... just bliss and totally paints an emotionally interesting picture for me.

7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
Who makes circus music this beautiful? haha... John Lennon and George Martin! Well... I'm always curious how much George played a roll at about 1:00 and then again at about 2:00.

8. Within You Without You
I know Tomorrow Never Knows gets a bit more attention, but I LOVE the percussion in this...

9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day In The Life

Overall Experience:
Of course the idea of having an album go "on tour" for you when you are playing 3 shows a day sometimes and little to no breaks sounds like a fantastic idea. Earlier albums played in the studio, but this hits a home run in the studio. There's no logical flow to this album like a structure of a traditional symphony, but the songs do follow well.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2016 07:26
  • Post subject:
Most people probably don't give a shit about what I think about albums, so I dunno if I'll finish the whole journal thing... but I do want to wrap up some of the projects I've been working on.

So I decided to stay up till 130am and do this cause I felt manic about feeling isolated:

My Favorite Debuts by sethmadsen
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2016 04:39
  • Post subject:
Created this for my goal number 4: My Top Rated Artists by sethmadsen

It's not done and I'm not sure if I even agree with it, but it's a start.
  • Visit poster's website