SLP #25: Jimmy's Bucolic Bliss-SLaP

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: I Would Stroke A Vole To The Sound Of...
A Calling-On Song (Steeleye Span)
0%
 0%  [0]
Ar Goll (Sidan)
0%
 0%  [0]
This Summer's Been Good From The Start (Gorky's)
0%
 0%  [0]
City's Cry (Shelagh McDonald)
25%
 25%  [1]
The Mixed-Up Kind (Trader Horne)
25%
 25%  [1]
Penhryn Gwyn (Heather Jones)
0%
 0%  [0]
Pretty Things (The Gentle Waves)
0%
 0%  [0]
Don't Come Back (Marine Girls)
0%
 0%  [0]
The Crying Room (Television Personalities)
0%
 0%  [0]
If She Doesn't Smile It'll Rain (Fantastic Something)
25%
 25%  [1]
It's A Fine Day (Jane)
0%
 0%  [0]
Yr Haf (Sidan)
0%
 0%  [0]
Sharon Signs To Cherry Red (Kamikaze Pilots)
0%
 0%  [0]
Paintball's Coming Home (Half Man Half Biscuit)
25%
 25%  [1]
Total Votes : 4

Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/13/2016 20:11
  • Post subject: SLP #25: Jimmy's Bucolic Bliss-SLaP

Soft as snow, but warm inside

Basically a mixture of songs that I play whilst standing on hilltops gazing over rolling British countryside, or whilst talking to passing otters, or whilst inhaling rhubarb and custard-flavoured vape liquid in a layby, or whilst making daisy chains in a meadow somewhere in the middle of nowhere. You get the idea. Some of it happens to be in Welsh. Some of it's twee as fuck. The last track bears no relation to the others and is purely there for comedy value.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU WEAR SOMETHING WITH POLKA DOTS WHEN CONSUMING...
and for heaven's sake DO NOT OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/14/2016 03:28
  • Post subject:
The transition between those first two songs is already sheer joy. Will report back with more of my musical testimony.

EDIT: The Britain levels are so damn high. A+ flow, can't pick a standout; it's like a musical British soup, except if British food wasn't terrible. Meat shouldn't wobble, you monsters.
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 09/14/2016 19:56
  • Post subject:
I'm definitely getting on to this after tonight's plug sesh... intrigued by the rhubarb and custard vape, does it really make a difference to the music?
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/14/2016 20:01
  • Post subject:
velvetbanana wrote:
I'm definitely getting on to this after tonight's plug sesh... intrigued by the rhubarb and custard vape, does it really make a difference to the music?

Abso-chuffing-lutely fella. No Richard Briers doing the voiceovers though.

Would see you in Plug but alas I am working in Northern Ireland today - currently in a B&B in Larne looking over the harbour. Still, if you're coming to London on 22nd October I'll buy you some R&C vape liquid as a present.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/14/2016 20:10
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Meat shouldn't wobble, you monsters.

My meat rarely wobbles. Does yours hop and bounce?
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 09/14/2016 20:15
  • Post subject:
now that is tempting Smile I bet you've been pilfering the record shops of all their twee folk and Irish jiggery Wink
undefined

• Posted: 09/27/2016 20:13
  • Post subject:
jesus christ this is British... and it's GREAT. Though I can't say I expected less from the dub tweester himself. As Dave said, that transition between the first two tracks is downright inspired. Gonna make the end of track one into the beginning of track 2 into my ringtone just you wait. As for track two, that keyboard tone is my shit. Ah man...

Then we get treated to this veritable shmorgishborg of acoustic British folk (of which "The Mixed Up Kind" was my favorite, because that harpsichord is just bliss), until Heather Jones hits with some swaggering electric bluesy kinda stuff with an awesome piano line, which moves perfectly into the laid back breathey tone of the following track (I am downloading Swansong for You posthaste).

I haven't listened to nearly enough Television Personalities (as this track clearly proves), but then THE FOLLOWING TRACK IS SO JANGLEY! Fantastic Something is a name I'm jotting down in my Jimmy studies notebook (as is Jane... what a beautiful vocal piece.) Ah man and then that Kamikaze Pilots song is so fun but also thoughtful in a way. Also very British. I love how she says mum.

Ok so don't freak out, but this is actually the first time I've listened to Half Man Half Biscuit. I know I know, I'm much lacking in my musical education. This track was hilarious, and made a great closer. May finally take the dive and explore this band.

I feel more British already. No longer a fookin yank. God save the queen. God save Jimmy Dread.

Love
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/27/2016 21:13
  • Post subject:
Ta Gabe, you little wonder little wonder you. As those who know me will be aware my job takes me all over the British Isles, most of the time seeing me spend my days having to dodge pheasants and low-flying Red Kites whilst driving through some beautiful countryside. This SLP is a kinda celebration of that. I'm currently writing this whilst in a B&B near Ipswich. Glam.

Chuffed you liked it, natch. That Kamikaze Pilots track was found whilst ping-ponging around YouTube. I still can't speak more than 10 words of Welsh. The TVPs and HMHB tracks aren't overly representative of each respective band's general oeuvre but seemed to fit in nicely with the rest of the ferret-scaring, butterfly-stroking bollocks that I decided to include.

I confess with hand on pounding heart that my decision to feature (as well as stroke a vole to the dulcet tones of) If She Doesn't Smile (It'll Rain) is because to these ears it is quite possibly the best 3 minutes of music I've ever heard in my life. There's nothing you could add or take away from it to improve it - it's not just indie-pop perfection, it's a mini-musical marvel: crushingly beautiful whilst being heartfelt, yearning and full of pathos. I'm also a sucker for a good key change mid-track. If I should cark it tomorrow, please tell those I love I want this played at my funeral on repeat for 30 minutes.

Guided tours of crap second hand record shops and country pubs available on request
  • Visit poster's website