Most Interesting Country for Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What is the best country for music?
USA
34%
 34%  [15]
England
23%
 23%  [10]
Scotland
0%
 0%  [0]
Ireland
0%
 0%  [0]
Canada
6%
 6%  [3]
Iceland
4%
 4%  [2]
New Zealand
0%
 0%  [0]
Israel
0%
 0%  [0]
Mexico
2%
 2%  [1]
Mali
0%
 0%  [0]
Australia
4%
 4%  [2]
Argentina
0%
 0%  [0]
Brazil
4%
 4%  [2]
France
2%
 2%  [1]
Jamaica
2%
 2%  [1]
Venezuela
0%
 0%  [0]
Finland
0%
 0%  [0]
Sweden
4%
 4%  [2]
Norway
0%
 0%  [0]
Other:...
9%
 9%  [4]
Total Votes : 43

uninformdopinion

• Posted: 01/15/2016 01:01
  • Post subject: Most Interesting Country for Music
Vote the country that has spawned your favorite artists, or has the most, best, most interesting, or most important music.
Or vote for the country you believe people should be paying more attention to, musically.

Unfortunately it didn't allow me to put in as many countries as came to mind....
uninformdopinion

• Posted: 01/15/2016 01:35
  • Post subject:
Oops, I meant to put this in the Music forum, not Games. Can it be moved?
undefined

• Posted: 01/15/2016 01:52
  • Post subject:
East Germany
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2016 03:01
  • Post subject:
uninformdopinion wrote:
Scotland

Legitimate question, but does this count as a country? Either way, the have some pretty cool music.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/15/2016 03:58
  • Post subject:
it sorta snuck up on me this winter how much Eastern Europe might be my favorite region for experimental music between Romania and Poland. i'm one of those insufferable people who thinks the Teutonic (German) composition tradition is basically unmatched in the west pound-for-pound era-for-era, though the French actually get it together by the 20th century with the whole tape music thing. i listen most to American music and then English obviously, though my charts are indicating to me that Germany tends to beat England in the quality department, though that might change when I get around to my 2010s chart.

Jamaica has obviously had major cultural exchanges with England and the U.S. (and Germans Ernestus and Von Oswald of Basic Channel most of all!! hehe) that have resulted in some of my absolute favorite genres of music. between dancehall, dub, and reggae, Jamaica might have claim to a root genre or more of every form of music I actively seek out in new releases. Japan is tops for non-western countries according to my charts, though. I think the fact that Japan (Tokyo mainly) basically serves as a second or third base for New York- and Berlin-based avant-gardists in EAI and Noise mainly but in other genres too gives it that edge. Brazil and West African nations like Ghana, Nigeria, and Benin have rich traditions of improving on more traditional forms of jazz music so I listen to stuff from those places a lot.

benpaco wrote:
Legitimate question, but does this count as a country?

Alba gu bràth, motherfucker
undefined

• Posted: 01/15/2016 04:50
  • Post subject:
Umbrella

• Posted: 01/15/2016 05:38
  • Post subject:
i think usa cause it has invented many different types of music and is my favorite
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2016 15:03
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Jamaica has obviously had major cultural exchanges with England and the U.S. (and Germans Ernestus and Von Oswald of Basic Channel most of all!! hehe) that have resulted in some of my absolute favorite genres of music. between dancehall, dub, and reggae, Jamaica might have claim to a root genre or more of every form of music I actively seek out in new releases.

Personally speaking I listen to more music from the US than anywhere else, but seeing as this thread seems to be about highlighting the 'most interesting' country for music (as well as giving a 'big up' to somewhere, like some amateur sort of tourist information film that you see in budget hotels) I'm going to stick with my 'one (true) love'...

It's probably little surprise that I would have picked Jamaica given my tastes, and I wholeheartedly concur with Satie's words above. From studio expertise and wizardry (often using the most basic kit), to club culture, to smooth soul, to the art of the remix, to hip-hop and drum 'n' bass, without Jamaican influence the modern musical landscape would be very different. And also don't overlook the DIY aesthetic that's inherent in the country's record production - taking Island out of the equation, you've got a bucket-load of little labels in the 60s and 70s (alongside the likes of Studio One and Treasure Isle) that pre-dated the post-punk cottage industry-independents by a fair few years.

People hear one Bob Marley track (or light up a fat one to the satiated sounds of Legend) or watch The Harder They Come and think they've got the whole scene sussed. Twats. Open your ears and turn up the bass. One love.

Last edited by Jimmy Dread on 01/31/2016 08:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2016 19:43
  • Post subject:
Really impossible to assess. I agree with sentiments about Jamaica. I think any small country whose output is enormous is rather interesting. Nigeria, Ghana, and Mali are all pretty remarkable. The fact that we got a futuristic sounding record out of the Congo last year still baffles me.

Naturally, the United States is a melting pot for culture thanks to immigration and that's generally resulted in an incredibly unique output from this country over the past century which of course in a blink in time in comparison to much of the rest of the world
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2016 20:20
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

• Visit poster's website