Precious little moments

View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/20/2017 19:38
  • Post subject: Precious little moments
Don't you love those little moments in songs that you think are incredible? I'm not talking about choruses and lyics, but those subtle moments that most people don't even pay attention to but for some reason are amazing to you. Like a guitar lick in the background or the specific way the singer pronnounces a certain word.
If you do, share your favourite little moments! Smile

I'll start with something rather silly. There's this moment in this Little Mermaid song that just touches me every time. At about 1:25 starts the chorus and the way the singer delivers those lines (esp. the line "up where theeey stay all they in the suun") makes this one of the most beautiful melodies ever.

Link

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2017 21:49
  • Post subject:
Very nice observation. Thanks for posting! That movie came out when my daughter was 4, so I got more of an earful than I really wanted, but I always tried to be present for this song and the exact moment you mentioned.

For a somewhat less sweet example, I always get chills in Rush's "Manhattan Project" when Geddy gets to the line "the pilot of Enola Gay flying out of the shockwave" (about 3:04).

[/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JELJ8mvtDNc[youtube]

[/youtube]
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 01/21/2017 15:08
  • Post subject:
I really like the idea of the topic Daydreamer, however you chose exactly what you say you don't wanna talk about: a chorus and a certain lyric Wink

I'll choose Porcupine Tree's Anesthesize. The song is more than 17 minutes long and is mostly well delivered prog metal. However, when you get to minute 13 you get the spacey ambient stuff that I most love, especially the guitar-electric piano part starting at 16:22. I find this moment so beautiful.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/21/2017 18:06
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
I really like the idea of the topic Daydreamer, however you chose exactly what you say you don't wanna talk about: a chorus and a certain lyric Wink

Yes, but I choose specifically because the way she sings that line right there. The second chorus does nothing to for me, since it does not have exactly that moment.

Ok, another example, Radiohead's How To Dissapear Completely, one of the best songs of the 00's (quite possibly THE best one). The outro consists of Thom Yorke's falsetto singing with some dissonant strings in the background and it fits with the songs depressing desperate mood. But then a miracle happens, for a moment the dissonant music fades and we are lefts with a few seconds of Yorke's ethearal voice alone, which feels like a glimmer of hope among these dark feelings. Pure music magic. 5:23 here:

Link

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/21/2017 18:30
  • Post subject:
It's all because of those 'precious little moments' that the following is, and likely always will be, my all-time favourite song:

Link

From the key change at 1:26, to the solo that really is just an amplified (yet heavenly) janglefest between 1:44-2:22 and the last chord at 3:07, it's the one track that's made up of little quirks and as such guaranteed to make all the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and my eyes well up whenever I hear it. It's fucking beautiful - the perfect pop song.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 01/21/2017 19:38
  • Post subject:
I've said it a thousand times, and it'll always be Michael Stipe's giggle in The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight.

Also that bit towards the end of Staraflur when it's just the orchestration and the trumpets do a little downward melody in the background. Frission everytime.
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 01/22/2017 04:08
  • Post subject:
I love to hear my late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal during his re-recording of his song named "I'll Pin A Note On Your Pillow" from his 1998 album named Stay Close To Home.

Link

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website