View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2017 00:01
  • Post subject: ADP #1 Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

https://open.spotify.com/album/7j8lfKDdL7vE8OAM4cA3W3
(changing open above to play will play it in a web browser...eventually (takes a bit to re-route).

Write ups/info about album saying it better than I ever would which I found interesting:
http://www.stereogum.com/1813154/illino...niversary/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_...ens_album)
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7514-illinois/

I really wanted to dig deeper into this album... the meanings, the names, etc., but ran out of time with a newborn (who totally deserves more attention than this).

Here's my reactions this listen. Nothing terribly insightful, but a practice I like to do to maybe get better at writing... if I actually would put effort into it (ok 1st draft)

1. "Concerning the UFO Sighting near Highland, Illinois"
I love his piercing vocals as they come in and his falsetto is beautiful (reminds me a bit of Elliot Smith). The piano is very reflectiive/though provoking and the winds add to that feel well. Musically fits the lyrics well.

2. "The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!'"
The trill is fantastic, even if a bit too repetetive at times. While the orchestration is more interesting than most musical figures in this day and age, it stills feels a bit amateur at times (and not necissarily in a bad way... just like a high school band class feel somehow). Still is fantastic. It still is stuck in my head well.

3. "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
Feel the Charlie Brown! hehe, just mostly kidding. I really like the vocals, both his and backing. And the music is solid as much as I kid. And yes, what would Frank Lloyd Wright think? Also, are you writing from the heart?

Favorite part of song 3:05 to 4:00

4. "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."
What a tear jerker. I mean I've never really thought of a serial killer like this:

And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid

Dude's voice in this is absolutely takes my breath away.

5. "Jacksonville"
Lovin the music on this one. It flows real good. Love the vocals on it too. One of the best songs on the album.

6. "A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, but for Very Good Reasons"
Musically ok, if I weren't paying attention to tracks, wouldn't even notice this was a seperate track. Maybe I'll look up Mary Todd as I had hoped.

7. "Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!"
"Our stepmom, we did everything to hate her"... hahaha, fantastic lyric.

8. "One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman!!"
Another I thought was just the end of the track or something.

9. "Go! Chicago! Go! Yeah!"
The repetitive guitar work on this is fantastic. This song has this travelling energy that is great. What I love is the juxtaposition of the "traveling" sound of the reptitive guitar lick, and the pause of reflection.

10. "Casimir Pulaski Day"
This I did look up and learned a bit about Polish history when I first was getting into the album. Even with the orchestration, this is a fantastically laid back song.

11. "To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and It Involves Tube Socks, a Paper Airplane, and Twenty-Two Able-Bodied Men"
This song brought this album to a new level for me. It tickled me brain with its atmosphere, even if short.

12. "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts"
Nice to hear a loud guitar enter the stage. The happy go lucky chorus is fun.

13. "Prairie Fire That Wanders About" (Peoria)
This also tickled my brain.

14. "A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze"
Hahahahaha

15. "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!"
Me likey the time on this one. I love how it explodes at 2:30
He was my best friend

16. "They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!"
Funkiest track on the record. Without this track, I feel it would be just a bit too same old same old, and this gives it some good spice.

17. "Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bloomington–Normal"
I like me some isolated sounds.

18. "In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth"
Nothing to say

19. "The Seer's Tower"
Interesting play on words. Solemn.

20. "The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders" (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)
Strong track

21. "Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few"
Playing the same note never sounded so good.

22. "Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run"
Philip Glass anyone?

Overall Experience:
I can't help but think of Phillip Glass' Powaqqatsi when I listen to this record, especially on the last track.

In 2005 I lived almost like monk and so didn't even hear this album until last year. It was a grower for me. I didn't fall in love at first, and thought it a bit lackluster, but the more I listened to it, I really liked the lyrics, and the simplistic orchestrations actually ended up finding a place in my heart. Once it clicked, I listened to it for like 2 weeks straight.

I love the laid back, yet deep dive into the history/culture of Illinois. I feel I can put this record on almost at anytime. For me, I don't have to be in a mood to listen to it, and once it clicked for me, it was very accessible.

I keep going back and forth on the orchestration on this. On one hand I think it is genious and fantastic and other times it reminds me of Charlie Brown/maybe a kids music group. Which isn't bad, but somehow detracts for me. I think Charlie Brown is also similar to how I'd even characterize some of his lyrical phrasing, etc. But it really is a great orchestration, even if it teeters at times for me.

I do appreciate how he is writing this love story for Illinois, but it is real... doesn't feel terribly contrived or 'Mericuh.

Sometimes I get bored with how same same the record is and then other times I get blown away by the way it all ties together.

Overall, I think this is a high quality album. It's somewhere inbetween a masterpiece and a fantastic album worthy of at least a few listens.

Quote:
SlurpDurp Wrote:

Sufjan Stevens composes emphatic music on Illinois. Each track is so full of detail that it would take a dozen focused listens just to hear everything on the surface. Sometimes music like this can be overwhelming, but Sufjan handles it with so much precision and focus that it results in a perfect experience. There are so few albums that can immerse you in a context and setting as well as Illinois does. I've never even been to Illinois or studied its history, yet while listening to Illinois I felt as though I was right in the center of the culture, with Sufjan as my personal tour guide giving me his personal tales of what Illinois meant to him. I love that.

There are so many moments of simple beauty on Illinois. "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois" is the perfect opener. When Sufjan's stunning voice enters that track, I get goosebumps. The instrumental in "Come on! Feel the Illinoise!" is a composition for the ages. The album, despite its length, is captivating throughout, and at the end begins to feel a unique symmetry that can't be described. During Illinois, I laughed, I cried, I loved every second of the experience. To me, Sufjan Stevens is the greatest songwriter of this generation. I admire his musicianship and ability. He inspires me to take music more seriously, but also to always have fun while doing so. Sufjan is not afraid to be himself and write what he wants to write, and that is where he shines most strongly.

Quote:
Daydreamer wrote:

This is an interesting one, I've listened to it for the first time last year, when I saw how acclaimed it is here.
That being said, long albums are generally harder to diggest for me and it takes many listenes till I remember all the songs, and even pay attention to the lyrics. This one is certainly interesting, but I guess I've heard it about 3-4 times and I still need much more listens before I can form a valid opinion.

Chicago is a killer song and it stuck out even on the first listen.

Quote:
AfterHours wrote:

Illinois is one of the better albums of the 2000s. It is emotionally and conceptually sprawling, moving from multi-instrumental and choral cultural send-ups, to highly intimate, personal folk songs. Overall, it seems to represent all the protagonist's consciousness as it relates to his experiences in Illinois, both the real and the imagined, both the actual and the mythological. It becomes an existential journey about his own identity and nature, and of humanity itself, metaphorically represented by Illinois and its diverse history. The album is both a celebration and a touching tribute, both a public display of affection and a personal tragedy. It is immersive and richly rewarding.

Questions for discussion
1. What do you guys think of the orchestrations? What do you think of the Charlie Brown feel I mentioned? Does it help or hinder the record?

2. What do you think about the claim that he was doing this tour of the US strictly for publicity. Does that matter? Do you disagree with me that he did a good tribute or did you feel it was too 'Mericuh?

3. What do you think of references to other art? "what would frank lloyd wright think" and then in R.E.M.'s end of the world song, they should Leonard Bernstein. U2 was made fun of for what they thought was an attempt to honor artists before them, and many saw it as them trying to put themselves on their level. There's also discussion about the Oedipus complex with artists... this idea that artists have to "kill off" their predecessors after emulating them (really deep conversation that I horribly summarized, ask questions if you want to know/discuss more).

4. What the hell does he mean by "I'm not afraid of the black man running He's got it right he's got a better life coming" in the song Jacksonville?

5. Tell me something you admire about Sufjan Stevens. I don't really know much about him and I haven't really gotten into any other albums of his. I know some others are highly regarded on this site. What do you love about them?

Past discussions of the album:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=6431
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=2138
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=9924
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...p;start=10
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...mp;start=0

Alright, hoping I've helped spur some discussion about the album... let us know what you think!

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/20/2017 05:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/04/2017 07:29
  • Post subject: Re: ADP #1 Illinois by Sufjan Stevens
sethmadsen wrote:
5. Tell me something you admire about Sufjan Stevens. I don't really know much about him and I haven't really gotten into any other albums of his. I know some others are highly regarded on this site. What do you love about them?

I guess I need time to analyse and to form a viable answer regarding your other four questions but I feel like this is the most straightforward one to start with.

I love the fact that he can make these career re-directions from being a such a polarizing artist to one that occupies the opposite side of the spectrum. The former is demonstrated on albums like Michigan & his latest opus, Carrie & Lowell. Then the latter on Illinois, Age of Adz and that recent Sisyphus project (which really shouldn't have been pulled off the way it did). There's just so much to discover with every listen from album to album, a new dimension to his character or to the instrumentation or both. He's such an eclectic artist, I mean he even manages to subvert my expectations on his debut.

While Carrie & Lowell is still within context, I should recommend something. You should listen to Michigan, Illinois & Age of Adz first so you can piece together his story before your presented with the bigger picture on Carrie & Lowell. It'll redefine the way you look at everything that came before and its really "fun" cycling back through the established knowledge viewing through the lens of this new one you've gained.

It's funny because this time, 2 years ago I had my mind made up on Illinois being his best (they all are excellent). Then Carrie & Lowell came along and it still challenges everything. It's a shame to think that the follow-up won't be arriving until 2020 at the earliest. Guess it gives me time to decide Wink .

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/04/2017 09:50
  • Post subject:
1. I think your 'Charlie Brown' point is really interesting. To me, that's what really helps this album shine. The album is entirely cheesy. The orchestration is huge at times, but never grandiose, it's just plonky. Match that with Sufjan's incredibly warming vocal style and often very poingoint lyrics, and there's this kind of mis-match of styles that really gels.

To me, this album is the sound of nostalgia. Not your personal nostalgia (that could be anything), but just if you squeezed nostalgia out, this is what it might sound like. The first time I heard it my mind dashed back to road trips and summer camps and family holidays, washed in a kind of 90s fuzzy photography. It feels very familiar.

Because nostalgia can hurt sometimes. I think the goofy orchestration reminds us of these older times and then Sufjan's sheer sincerety enables us to not feel stupid feeling the way we do. It's a really gorgeous thing. I always feel slightly embarasses putting this album in my top 20. Part of me wants to swap it with the far more cynical and dramatic Age of Adz, but whenever I hear Illinois it sparks so much in me every time. It may very well be the album I've spent the most collective time listening to.

2. I don't think it's entirely publicity. I think there's clearly a passion here for exploring the USA, that doesn't necessarily boil down to patriotism. That he was able to convey even more sentiment in Illinois than in his home state record just shows he's got a knack for story telling.

3. I think it's a mature nod to your influences and a respectful celebration of them. There shouldn't be anything shame. It tends to really ground the piece, give it a sense of place and history, and also humility.

4. Just read that it's possibly a reference to the underground railroad where people would apparently help slaves escape. They're not afraid of the black man running because they know he's running to a new freedom?

5. Sufjan just comes across as a really consciousness dude. He's also just an insanely consistant songwriter. He's probably recorded more Christmas songs than is in his studio discography. Sisyphus shows he's even comfortable in a hip hop trio, and I think their debut is a grossly overlooked album - one of my favourites, not least due to Sufjan's writing and performance.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2017 10:44
  • Post subject:
It's been a long time since I listened to this one, I'll go thru it again sometime but I've never been the biggest fan, something about it never really clicked for me. I still like Dear Mr. Supercomputer off the outtakes album The Avalanche a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndDnDO4Drnc, so maybe there's something for me to get out of this yet.

edit: Just remembered I also still really like The Perpetual Self off the outtakes album too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOYMHgCQe0, maybe all the stuff I like is on this one
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2017 19:37
Komorebi-D wrote:

While Carrie & Lowell is still within context, I should recommend something. You should listen to Michigan, Illinois & Age of Adz first so you can piece together his story before your presented with the bigger picture on Carrie & Lowell. It'll redefine the way you look at everything that came before and its really "fun" cycling back through the established knowledge viewing through the lens of this new one you've gained.

Thanks for your insight, and this recommendation seems spot on. I gave Carrie and Lowell and Age of Adz a spin, yet it didn't click with me (Illinois didn't either the first time in fairness). Yet, when I put on Michigan, I was like oh, this is basically Illinois, but Michigan (spun it the first time this week). So I could see how your suggestion would help me get a better grasp of the artist before then getting into other albums.

Much appreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2017 19:40
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
It's been a long time since I listened to this one, I'll go thru it again sometime but I've never been the biggest fan, something about it never really clicked for me. I still like Dear Mr. Supercomputer off the outtakes album The Avalanche a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndDnDO4Drnc, so maybe there's something for me to get out of this yet.

edit: Just remembered I also still really like The Perpetual Self off the outtakes album too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOYMHgCQe0, maybe all the stuff I like is on this one

Yeah, and sometimes that's how it is with certain artists. They just don't click and sometimes they never do and sometimes they grow on you eventually.

The never do often do have a song or two you like, and sometimes that's a good gateway drug, and sometimes that in of itself is a reason to not dig deeper. hahaha (just speaking for myself).

Also thanks for sharing the outtakes. It was actually pretty cool stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2017 03:04
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

Well said mate.

I really like how you painted number 1. I think it does have a bit of nostalgia to it and does have that purposeful childlike sound to it to reach that. Fantastic way to look at it.

And thanks for the insight on number 4. Possibly the best "reading" of it.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/05/2017 12:56
sethmadsen wrote:
Yet, when I put on Michigan, I was like oh, this is basically Illinois, but Michigan (spun it the first time this week).

Not going to lie, I did both in the opposite order to you and I felt the same but in the opposite way. Kind of like what Adore is to Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (only comparison I had in mind). Although in Sufjan's case; Michigan is Adore & Illinois is Mellon Collie.

(Please tell me that made sense and I'm not just rambling.)

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2017 18:22
Komorebi-D wrote:
Not going to lie, I did both in the opposite order to you and I felt the same but in the opposite way. Kind of like what Adore is to Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness (only comparison I had in mind). Although in Sufjan's case; Michigan is Adore & Illinois is Mellon Collie.

(Please tell me that made sense and I'm not just rambling.)

Laughing Laughing

Makes sense, but I'm going to make it weirder.

It's like Michigan is Adore and Siamese Dream had a baby, so it matched the Mellon Collie and Illinois analogy.

Laughing Laughing

Mostly kidding. But yes, that totally makes sense.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2017 18:24
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

3. I think it's a mature nod to your influences and a respectful celebration of them. There shouldn't be anything shame. It tends to really ground the piece, give it a sense of place and history, and also humility.

Do you think the reason Rattle and Hum got slammed was because they did more than nod, they collaborated with the likes of Bob Dylan and BB King?

And then later Pavarotti?
  • Visit poster's website