Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/03/2017 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2286): My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Today's album of the day

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2010.
Overall rank: 56
Average rating: 84/100 (from 1275 votes).

Tracks:
1. Dark Fantasy
2. Gorgeous (Feat. KiD CuDi & Raekwon)
3. POWER
4. All Of The Lights (Interlude)
5. All Of The Lights
6. Monster (Feat. JAY-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)
7. So Appalled (Feat. JAY-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA)
8. Devil In A New Dress (Feat. Rick Ross)
9. Runaway (Feat. Pusha T)
10. Hell Of A Life
11. Blame Game (Feat. John Legend)
12. Lost In The World
13. Who Will Survive In America

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Seab

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2017 21:24
  • Post subject:
The album that got me to listen to full length hip-hop albums and is definitely one of the greatest of all time. If anyone wanted to get into hip-hop, this would be one of the starting albums for those who want to get into modern hip-hop.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 03/03/2017 21:52
  • Post subject:
Great album, and definitely Kanye's best. But I disagree with it being the highest ranked hip hop album on the site. I'd consider Illmatic, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City and To Pimp A Butterfly to be better albums.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/03/2017 22:06
  • Post subject:
This would struggle to make my top five Kanye records, let alone hip-hop.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 03/03/2017 22:14
  • Post subject:
The album for when you're on the highest of highs and yet, simultaneously, the lowest of lows.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/03/2017 22:15
  • Post subject:
Tracks 1-6 get me pumped up, but then it loses pretty much all momentum up until Lost In The World. Runaway is alright I guess, but it represents in itself what's wrong with the whole album - overlong and self congratulatory.

I think Kanye is an exceptional producer, and I think he has an incredible ear for melodies and moods in samples, sometimes in the most simple things. I think perhaps this album is evidence of that above anything else he's done.

Why's it so highly rated? It's got a really good opening and a really good closer. People like that. It's that 'album experience' like what Dark Side of the Moon has.
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 03/04/2017 02:39
  • Post subject:
Beginning of the end for Yeezy? Witness a man about to be devoured by hus own ego.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2017 03:14
  • Post subject:
Broke the genre shackles of hip-hop for me as well as helped me develop my listening skills and critique.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2017 03:38
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Tracks 1-6 get me pumped up, but then it loses pretty much all momentum up until Lost In The World. Runaway is alright I guess, but it represents in itself what's wrong with the whole album - overlong and self congratulatory.

Devil In A New Dress is notoriously underappreciated. It's such a fantastic track. Like, if I were to rank the tracks it'd be #2 right after Runaway. That instrumental is sublime. Also, to this day, I think that's the only track in history that utilizes Rick Ross's rapping technique so that he actual sounds like a somewhat okay MC. He's not of course, but it gives off the illusion.

I owe this album a lot... which sometimes I still find surprising, but I do. 2010 was a definitive year in my life, between the Suburbs that summer and this in the fall, I really learned a lot about myself through music that year. Keeping in mind that I was only 14 when this came out, it opened my world to a lot. I'm glad it did, I don't regret it for a second. It made me look at albums differently, and it made me look at music in general differently. It showed me that there aren't really any rules... you can kinda just do whatever you feel like. A 9 minute long hip-hip ballad? Sure. A hip-hip song with Elton John playing piano with? Sure, why not. This was the album that really made me seek out music I didn't know, or understand, or even appreciate. I'm glad that it was this album that did that for me. I think it unquestionably still holds up today as a masterpiece.

The atmosphere that this album has still influences me to today. It reminds me how important cohesive undertones and subtleties are. This album is chained together with seemingly nothing, yet nothing is out of place. These aren't exactly songs that should go together, or have a cohesive theme on the surface, but they do. There's just invisible glue everywhere that reminds you about the massiveness of the project as a whole.

Sadly, I truly don't think Kanye will ever reach this level again. But I'm so glad this moment existed.
DJTommy

• Posted: 03/04/2017 10:19
  • Post subject:
I also feel like this was his last really good album. It kinda went downhill from there with the disappointing Yeezus and The Life Of Pablo. Though I would say that The Life Of Pablo is better than Yeezus.