What album was the biggest disappointment to you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/10/2017 19:48
  • Post subject:
Every album Seth likes that I learned he likes even if I enjoyed it previously. Wink
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 08/10/2017 20:55
  • Post subject:
I know that this was his first album with the other members of the act, but my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders can only be heard on two of the songs. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Steve is the one on the left.

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 00:34
  • Post subject:

Histoire De Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg

This was the biggest recent disappointment for me. It's the top-rated French Pop album on RYM, so I was expecting to like it. The vocals are pretty bad. The spoken word is cheesy and overly breathy and takes up far too much of the album. There is also a lot of poorly done half-singing. The instrumentals are fairly minimalist and don't add much to the vocals. I was hoping for more lush backdrops.

What tips this from mediocre to awful is the lyrics / concept. People who don't understand any French might not get this from a casual listen, but this is a stomach-churning tale of pedophilia. It made my skin crawl when I heard him say she was a "delicious child". Later on, we get a whole track filled with sex moans from her. I knew this was a sexual album, but I had gone into it thinking Melody was a very young adult, so her younger age and the constant infantilization was a rude shock. I expected a creepy album with a lot of redeeming characteristics, but this was a beyond-creepy album with next to none.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 03:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Raditude by Weezer

Weezer was one of the first bands I really latched onto, and this album and The Red Album were just kicks to the gonads.

Yup - Raditude and Hurley by Weezer are absolutely terrible.

I actually liked the Red Album. The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived just might be their best work.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 03:31
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

This was the biggest recent disappointment for me. It's the top-rated French Pop album on RYM, so I was expecting to like it. The vocals are pretty bad. The spoken word is cheesy and overly breathy and takes up far too much of the album. There is also a lot of poorly done half-singing. The instrumentals are fairly minimalist and don't add much to the vocals. I was hoping for more lush backdrops.

What tips this from mediocre to awful is the lyrics / concept. People who don't understand any French might not get this from a casual listen, but this is a stomach-churning tale of pedophilia. It made my skin crawl when I heard him say she was a "delicious child". Later on, we get a whole track filled with sex moans from her. I knew this was a sexual album, but I had gone into it thinking Melody was a very young adult, so her younger age and the constant infantilization was a rude shock. I expected a creepy album with a lot of redeeming characteristics, but this was a beyond-creepy album with next to none.

Yuck.

Had no idea.

Musically it was one of those albums that I listened to it for the first time and thought, hmmm, that could be something worth listening to again. Now I can't.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 03:37
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Every album Seth likes that I learned he likes even if I enjoyed it previously. Wink

Thanks?

You totally have more music prowess than I. No doubt.

I don't even know what this means. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 03:39
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Agreed about X&Y, it's a decent album but miles below the first two.
Viva La Vida was awesome though.

Yup. Death and All His Friends was quite possibly the best record they ever made, and some how makes it to my top 10 (again, I blame Eno).

But then they just turned into a band that might as well be the Biebs. Terribly heartbreaking one moment and totally don't give a shit the next.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 03:44
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:

Billy Breathes by Phish

I actually like this album. What's your favorite Phish studio album? Live?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 06:56
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

It's a hipster favorite, whaddya expect? Good music? Not a chance.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 12:27
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Yuck.

Had no idea.

Musically it was one of those albums that I listened to it for the first time and thought, hmmm, that could be something worth listening to again. Now I can't.

Yeah Gainsbourg was a pretty gross guy. In his other acclaimed concept album the main character beats his girlfriend to death, and he did a duet with his thirteen year old daughter called "Lemon Incest". Sick