What's your favorite music format to collect?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 16:19
  • Post subject: What's your favorite music format to collect?
What format do u like to collect the most? Is it CD's or Vinyl LP's? Or maybe Iike me u like to collect weird formats and oddball shit. I used to like collecting rare and failed formats like:

8-track tapes
Picture Discs
10-inch vinyl LPs (they used to call em mini-LP's in the 70s)
The Cassingle
CD-singles

Or do u just like collecting CD's?

Maybe Quadrophonic?? Does anybody have any Quadrophonic equipment?

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 06/29/2017 16:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 16:44
  • Post subject:
LP's for sure, although they are way too expensive. Spending $30 on a new album on vinyl to me is ludicrous. Good thing there is Spotify which is what I mostly use now.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 17:16
  • Post subject:
lps then cds
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 06/29/2017 19:01
  • Post subject:
Cds by a mile then lps closely followed by cassettes. Within 15 or so listens the sound is deterioating on lps and you have to replace the needle on the record player constantly which I imagine costs a bomb nowadays. Cds are often less than than 1/3 of the price and are superior technology to begin with. Which is why for 20 odd years they all but replaced records. The only mitigating factor is that when cds first came out they were literally made to last forever however the industry soon worked out this wasn't great for the bottom line and by the mid nineties they were made from material with planned obsolescence. Even with that cds are still more reliable and better bang for your buck. Back in 1986 they would have flipped off their chairs if you told them people would pay 300/400 % more for an lp and even with that sometimes outsell the cd version. What is great about lps though is the sensual/tactile aspect of admiring the cover art, buying the album, droping it on the record player and flicking across the needle. CDs can't compete with that and it's infinitely more satisfying than something that is artificially inseminated into a device.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 19:27
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
Cds by a mile then lps closely followed by cassettes. Within 15 or so listens the sound is deterioating on lps and you have to replace the needle on the record player constantly which I imagine costs a bomb nowadays. Cds are often less than than 1/3 of the price and are superior technology to begin with. Which is why for 20 odd years they all but replaced records. The only mitigating factor is that when cds first came out they were literally made to last forever however the industry soon worked out this wasn't great for the bottom line and by the mid nineties they were made from material with planned obsolescence. Even with that cds are still more reliable and better bang for your buck. Back in 1986 they would have flipped off their chairs if you told them people would pay 300/400 % more for an lp and even with that sometimes outsell the cd version. What is great about lps though is the sensual/tactile aspect of admiring the cover art, buying the album, droping it on the record player and flicking across the needle. CDs can't compete with that and it's infinitely more satisfying than something that is artificially inseminated into a device.

Exactly. I love the physical aspect of vinyl lps. Especially the big huge album covers that open up and the artwork looks so nice n shit. And u can actually read the printing. When cds first came out I was horrified by the cheesy, flimsy paper the inserts are made of. With that teeny tiny printing that u cant even fucking read even with your glasses on. And the packaging of cds just isn't satisfying like lps are. With the exception of Digipak cd packaging. I LOVE Digipak. Its like the next best thing to lps.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 06/29/2017 19:30
  • Post subject:
To me, CDs are the best because they have the better sound.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/29/2017 19:46
  • Post subject:
CDs all the way. Have a few vinyl records though.
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 06/29/2017 20:12
  • Post subject:
I buy my stuff on iTunes. I like listening to music on my laptop when I'm at home and my iPod when I'm travelling, and I really don't have any space to put my CDs. I also like to create my own playlists for some albums, getting rid of some album tracks and replacing them with superior b-sides.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/29/2017 20:38
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
Within 15 or so listens the sound is deterioating on lps and you have to replace the needle on the record player constantly which I imagine costs a bomb nowadays.

Unless you're using a stylus made out of concrete and have a tracking force akin to a small mammal sitting on top of your tone arm (or using one of those turntables in a suitcase people who shop in Urban Outfitters buy) this just isn't true, and a common misconception. The irony is that if you look after your records (play them with a diamond elliptical stylus, handle them carefully, manage the static, etc) they'll outlast your CDs, which as you've said will naturally degrade over time (think it's called Disc Rot or something equally imaginative). The only way LPs degrade is if they're played on rubbish equipment, cleaned with abrasive chemicals or poorly handled. I've played some records umpteen times without any noticeable degredation of sound whatsoever, as well as bought 40+ year old records that sound as fresh as the day they were pressed.

You are right about the cost of replacing a stylus - it ain't cheap - but then again you're talking in most cases after 500-1000 hours of play. That's a heck of a lot of spinning.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 20:50
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Unless you're using a stylus made out of concrete and have a tracking force akin to a small mammal sitting on top of your tone arm (or using one of those turntables in a suitcase people who shop in Urban Outfitters buy) this just isn't true, and a common misconception. The irony is that if you look after your records (play them with a diamond elliptical stylus, handle them carefully, manage the static, etc) they'll outlast your CDs, which as you've said will naturally degrade over time (think it's called Disc Rot or something equally imaginative). The only way LPs degrade is if they're played on rubbish equipment, cleaned with abrasive chemicals or poorly handled. I've played some records umpteen times without any noticeable degredation of sound whatsoever, as well as bought 40+ year old records that sound as fresh as the day they were pressed.

You are right about the cost of replacing a stylus - it ain't cheap - but then again you're talking in most cases after 500-1000 hours of play. That's a heck of a lot of spinning.

Right. Its not true about always having to replace the stylus. Diamonds are the hardest substance known to man. How the fuck could it be worn out by a fucking piece of PLASTIC ???
  • Visit poster's website