Who are the greatest rock vocalists of all time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 09/02/2017 11:09
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Paul Simon (his wiki says rock, even if that's a very very loose term here)
John Frusciante - probably not often thought about, but I consider him a fantastic singer, especially when he goes operatic.

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

I love that you call them Screamers. I divide singers up into categories too; Belters, Shouters, Growlers and Screamers. Heh heh

Cornell's definitely not a screamer. He does scream sometimes but mostly belts high notes with great technique.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2017 11:12
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
John Frusciante - probably not often thought about, but I consider him a fantastic singer, especially when he goes operatic.

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

I love that you call them Screamers. I divide singers up into categories too; Belters, Shouters, Growlers and Screamers. Heh heh

Cornell's definitely not a screamer. He does scream sometimes but mostly belts high notes with great technique.

Right. I would say he's a belter too
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 09/02/2017 17:39
  • Post subject:
Mike Patton

Diamanda Galas

Patty Waters

I can't think of anybody else
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2017 17:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

I was going to mention John Frusciante. His voice is probably consistently my favorite part of any Chili Peppers album. I love the band but he's got to be my favorite member.

With that, here are some of my favorite vocal duos/trios in rock:

John and Anthony from RHCP always sounded beyond gorgeous together. (Tell Me Baby, Breaking The Girl, fucking Venice Queen)

Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, and Steve Howe made Yes one of the greats with their harmonies. (Roundabout, Close to the Edge, I've Seen All Good People)

Serj and Daron from SOAD also have some of the most brilliant harmonies in rock. Their voices blend together so effortlessly yet in incredibly interesting ways. (Lost In Hollywood, Chop Suey, Revenga)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2017 18:16
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

Probably - I suppose he has a raspy enough voice I hear it in my head as screaming, but you are right.

I suppose I think of Bono as a belter as he rarely if ever screams/has raspy rough sound. Perhaps if I were to pick a favorite belter without thinking about it, it'd be Bono. Any you suggest?

For that matter John and Paul are more that 50s rock scream as apposed to a metal scream....

Shit how could I forget Little Richard for basically being the heavy influence on that early 50s rock "scream".
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2017 18:24
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

I was going to mention John Frusciante. His voice is probably consistently my favorite part of any Chili Peppers album. I love the band but he's got to be my favorite member.

Easily most important member of RHCP. They suck without him (more or less).

Also have you heard his solo work? This is what I'm talking about with the operatic voice. It gives me chills sometimes. He's not a fantastic singer, but he does move me, which is more important than being perfect to me.

Check out this album if you haven't for the vocals I'm talking about:

The Empyrean by John Frusciante

I also love this cover he did live by himself while with RHCP:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2017 18:44
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
[quote= "sethmadsen"]Paul Simon (his wiki says rock, even if that's a very very loose term here)

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

Probably - I suppose he has a raspy enough voice I hear it in my head as screaming, but you are right.

I suppose I think of Bono as a belter as he rarely if ever screams/has raspy rough sound. Perhaps if I were to pick a favorite belter without thinking about it, it'd be Bono. Any you suggest?

For that matter John and Paul are more that 50s rock scream as apposed to a metal scream....

Shit how could I forget Little Richard for basically being the heavy influence on that early 50s rock "scream".[/quote]

The way I figure it a singer with a raspy voice is a growler not a belter I consider a belter someone with a clear voice who tries to hit all the right high notes and low notes as a traditional singer would. Except that it's rock. Basically I call a belter someone who sings at the top of their voice but without screaming. Say, Roger Daltrey. That type.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2017 02:22
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

You know, maybe I'm biased because I just love what the Chili Peppers are and what they have been for a long time, especially what they've meant in my life, but I don't mind current Chili Peppers as much as I used to. I've seen them live twice since Josh joined, the first show was very good but the most recent one I saw was actually fucking excellent. For the most part I think the Getaway is a much stronger and more focused step in the right direction for the new look Chili Peppers. I agree, them with John is beyond engaging and special. The music speaks for itself. However, if this is the version of RHCP that's going to be around I really don't mind it anymore.

No question though Seth, that the music and albums made with John is much much better. His voice is the perfect compliment for Anthony, and how he uses it in his solo work is brilliant. Such a unique sound. He's one of those guys I guess at this point you have to appreciate is alive and still doing it quite frankly given the road he took to get here.

I don't often get to riff on RHCP here so excuse the rambling! Laughing
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2017 04:30
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

You know, maybe I'm biased because I just love what the Chili Peppers are and what they have been for a long time, especially what they've meant in my life, but I don't mind current Chili Peppers as much as I used to. I've seen them live twice since Josh joined, the first show was very good but the most recent one I saw was actually fucking excellent. For the most part I think the Getaway is a much stronger and more focused step in the right direction for the new look Chili Peppers. I agree, them with John is beyond engaging and special. The music speaks for itself. However, if this is the version of RHCP that's going to be around I really don't mind it anymore.

No question though Seth, that the music and albums made with John is much much better. His voice is the perfect compliment for Anthony, and how he uses it in his solo work is brilliant. Such a unique sound. He's one of those guys I guess at this point you have to appreciate is alive and still doing it quite frankly given the road he took to get here.

I don't often get to riff on RHCP here so excuse the rambling! Laughing

No worries - they were one of the most important thing to me as a teenager. I met Michael Balzary (sp? Flea) and John at a Silverlake Music Conservatory in 2002. Their music has been a part of my identity ever since I found music (like 8 years old/1992).

Don't mind=don't care for or don't mind as in you don't think the new direction is bad? It seems a bit bland without John and Rick Rubin to be honest. In some ways it is a bit more mature and in other ways just boring. Dunno.

That's cool you got to see them 2x? See them with John? Second biggest music regret - seeing RHCP without John. First is not seeing R.E.M. at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 09/03/2017 10:47
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Favorite screamers:
Chris Cornell
Dave Grohl
Kurt Cobain
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

With that, here are some of my favorite vocal duos/trios in rock:

John and Anthony from RHCP always sounded beyond gorgeous together. (Tell Me Baby, Breaking The Girl, fucking Venice Queen)

Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, and Steve Howe made Yes one of the greats with their harmonies. (Roundabout, Close to the Edge, I've Seen All Good People)

Serj and Daron from SOAD also have some of the most brilliant harmonies in rock. Their voices blend together so effortlessly yet in incredibly interesting ways. (Lost In Hollywood, Chop Suey, Revenga)

Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora sound magical together.

Freddie Mercury, Brian May and Roger Taylor trio has a very unique sound.

Simon and Garfunkel obviously.

Regarding Bono, I think he's really a top class vocalist, his voice in the 80's was extremely powerful and emotional.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website