50%  [29]
Total Votes : 57

Yann

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 17:14
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Yann wrote:
Pulp is quite the opposite of grunge in terms of sound. Very tight a sound, almost irritating.
Blur had a much more supple (not sure of the word) sound, and they eventually integrated grunge sound in their eponymous album

PS: impressed by your english, sounds like native speaker Smile

Well I meant that Pulp's record is my favorite record considering both grunge and Britpop records, but it's definitely not grunge indeed Smile Though if we're talking about irritating, a song such as Girls & Boys (and I love this song) is to me, more or less, the definition of irritating.

Thanks for the PS haha, tbh it's not always been like that ; I learned most of it here on the forums (and I mean it seriously!). I'm not nearly as confident when I'm speaking though, because there's much less room for thinking about the order of the words or the right one to use (and let's not even talk about the accent...). It's also how you learn it at shcool : through writing, much more than through speaking. I really need to spend some time in an English-speaking country to fluidify things. Mais tu n'es pas en reste non plus, ton anglais aussi est nickel Wink

Yes, BEA is definitely a good English school (because we end up writing quite often, because the subject is of interest to us all). As for English language, grammar is the easiest part, and the rest is what makes a good level, i.e: richness of vocabulary, variety of idiomatic expressions (as for any language), use of phrasal verbs..., etc. Very difficult to reach. And speaking is even more difficult, I agree. You should see me mumbling, waiting for words to come out.. Wink
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 17:48
  • Post subject:
DanielNunes93 wrote:
Everything is better than britpop!

So much truth.

Britpop, to me, is the absolutely worst genre ever.

But I like Blur at times...

AT TIMES.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 01/06/2018 18:11
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
So much truth.

Britpop, to me, is the absolutely worst genre ever.

But I like Blur at times...

AT TIMES.

That's a pretty bold statement haha. How can someone who loves U2, Coldplay and The Beatles so much dislike Britpop so hard? I mean, what game-changing differences may make Coldplay's pop-rock some of the best ever while making Pulp's belong to the "worst genre ever"? Or did I take you too literally?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 18:14
  • Post subject:
I never did see how grunge was anything but just regular old Hard Rock. It was just guitar rock, that's all. Not that I didn't like any of it, because I did. Britpop was a bit more entertaining, so I voted Britpop.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/06/2018 18:27
  • Post subject:
As for britpop, my favourite album would be this, which happened before the term britpop.

The La's by The La's
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 01/06/2018 18:30
  • Post subject:
As for grunge, my favourite album would be this, which isn't really all that grungy.

Superunknown by Soundgarden

But I also still like this and a lot Pearl Jam's catalog, so I'm voting grunge.

Ten by Pearl Jam
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/06/2018 19:48
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I never did see how grunge was anything but just regular old Hard Rock. It was just guitar rock, that's all. Not that I didn't like any of it, because I did. Britpop was a bit more entertaining, so I voted Britpop.

This. Other than nirvana I wasnt that fussed. Pearl Jam just sound like any other other hard rock shit. Britpop was my thing for a while, I was the right age. There was some great music in britpop, unfortunately not a massive amount album wise but singles wise there was. I'd rather listen to Menswear than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. This is a very good album britpop wise if you don't know it...
Love And Other Demons by Strangelove
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:00
  • Post subject:
I abstained; I like both as much. Maybe a little more Britpop because Oasis' hymns and Pulp's Different Class touch me more than any Grunge but then I appreciate how Grunge got into the mainstream (MTV!) while being so different to the pop-rock most people were used to, and I highly respect musicians like Eddie Vedder.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:12
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
I abstained; I like both as much. Maybe a little more Britpop because Oasis' hymns and Pulp's Different Class touch me more than any Grunge but then I appreciate how Grunge got into the mainstream (MTV!) while being so different to the pop-rock most people were used to, and I highly respect musicians like Eddie Vedder.

Do you mean urban hymns? That was the verve.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:20
  • Post subject:
There’s a lot of good Britpop albums in-between the sea of mediocrity that came after The Stone Roses’ debut. I can, however, say with confidence that Grunge simply had a wider catalog of better albums – but maybe that’s because Grunge was even more oversaturated in terms of releases than Britpop was. Vote for Grunge. But love for both. Anyone who says Britpop is a dumpster fire hasn't listened to anything but the tip of the iceberg.
  • Visit poster's website