Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/02/2018 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2666): Black Celebration by Depeche Mode
Today's album of the day

Black Celebration by Depeche Mode (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1986.
Overall rank: 723
Average rating: 78/100 (from 308 votes).

Tracks:
1. Black Celebration
2. Fly On The Windscreen - Final
3. A Question Of Lust
4. Sometimes
5. It Doesn't Matter Two
6. A Question Of Time
7. Stripped
8. Here Is The House
9. World Full Of Nothing
10. Dressed In Black
11. New Dress

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 22:17
  • Post subject:
proof that there is a depeche mode
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2018 04:35
  • Post subject:
I have a question. Why is it that when an album has a different tracklist for UK and US releases, the UK release is considered the official tracklist? Is everyone Anglophile or anti-American? So yeah, when I saw this tracklist, I asked myself: where is 'But Not Tonight,' the great closing track to this great album? Oh, apparently it doesn't count because it was Track #12 on the US version, but wasn't on the UK version at all. I was not aware of this until just now. Well guess what Brits, if you've heard this album without 'But Not Tonight,' you're missing out on the full experience.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2018 05:26
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I have a question. Why is it that when an album has a different tracklist for UK and US releases, the UK release is considered the official tracklist? Is everyone Anglophile or anti-American? So yeah, when I saw this tracklist, I asked myself: where is 'But Not Tonight,' the great closing track to this great album? Oh, apparently it doesn't count because it was Track #12 on the US version, but wasn't on the UK version at all. I was not aware of this until just now. Well guess what Brits, if you've heard this album without 'But Not Tonight,' you're missing out on the full experience.

amen. one of the best tracks on the album. i didn't even realize it was left off the UK edition. what's up with that???
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/03/2018 09:56
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

BEA only lists one version of each album (the original release). Therefore, if the US version had been released first, it would be listed instead. It's nothing to do with BEA preferring one country over another because that is simply not true.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/03/2018 11:32
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I didn't know about this song: indeed a much better album closer !
Now i suppose the official release is the UK one because it's a british band, and that "But not Tonight" is just an additional track, but definitely they should have chosen the US tracklist worldwide
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2018 16:24
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
BEA only lists one version of each album (the original release). Therefore, if the US version had been released first, it would be listed instead. It's nothing to do with BEA preferring one country over another because that is simply not true.

I cannot find any source proving the UK version came first. Can somebody? All I find is that it was released March 17, 1986. So if the US and UK versions came out the same day, then what?

Also, I cannot find any source that says what the band's creative intent was. Did Depeche Mode want Black Celebration to end on New Dress or But Not Tonight? I think that's what should matter.

Lastly, how hard would it be to list both track listings on BEA? Or list But Not Tonight as Track #12, but label it with an asterisk saying 'US release only'?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/04/2018 17:22
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I cannot find any source proving the UK version came first. Can somebody? All I find is that it was released March 17, 1986. So if the US and UK versions came out the same day, then what?

Also, I cannot find any source that says what the band's creative intent was. Did Depeche Mode want Black Celebration to end on New Dress or But Not Tonight? I think that's what should matter.

Lastly, how hard would it be to list both track listings on BEA? Or list But Not Tonight as Track #12, but label it with an asterisk saying 'US release only'?

This is not the only release on BEA where this issue arises, and the way of dealing with this properly would be to have multiple versions of each release listed on BEA, but unfortunately that's not something that BEA is set up for at the moment. BEA only lists the original version of each album as there needs to be a consistent way of doing things across the site. This makes the site a lot easier to understand and administer, and helps prevent edit wars on the individual admin pages (which are no good for anybody).

It's not as easy as appending a note saying US release only. You also have tracks (on other albums) which might *not* appear on certain versions of an album and to be consistent you'd have to annotate those as well. In addition, you also have French, German, UK, Japanese, Canadian, Brazilian, Spanish, Italian, Australian etc releases and the track lists would quickly become a mess if we annotated each track with the specific countries that it was released in.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/04/2018 19:00
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Well, the 2007 reissue does not include But not Tonight.

But not Tonight was originaly the b-side of Stripped, chosen as the A-side in the US :
http://almostpredictablealmost1.blogspo...night.html
  • Visit poster's website
Goliath
>>>>>>>>>>>>

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/04/2018 19:21
  • Post subject:
The original version of AC/DCs Powerage included 'Cold Hearted Man'. That's not on the BEA listing!
  • Visit poster's website