baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 19:21
  • Post subject:
This one's pretty mellow:

Laila's Wisdom by Rapsody

(#31 right now)

And this one is a double album that's a mix of bangers (mostly on the first disc) and mellower songs (mostly on the second disc):

4eva Is A Mighty Long Time by Big K.R.I.T.

(#14 right now)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 04:40
  • Post subject:
The things I've been working on since probably October of last year. I go through phases where I binge listen to new stuff and then just chill out for a year or two.

Top 79 Music Albums of 2017 by sethmadsen

Ancient/Medieval/Renaissance: Antiquity...sethmadsen

I enjoyed quite a few recs from your 2017 chart 9 albums in common. This looks like it has quite a bit I'll enjoy as well once I get to 2018 (probably not until end of year or 3 years from now at this rate... haha)
Top 35 Music Albums of 2018 by Gowi

38 common albums, yet a lot I haven't heard.
Top 100 Music Albums of 1969 by Mercury

Top 100 Music Albums of 2017 by baystateoftheart
25 albums in common. There's some albums on here I had a hard time getting into though. Hip-hop in the past 10 years has been hard for me to follow. Someone rec'd me some recent hip-hop that sounds like it's from the 2000s... hahaha. I really like how it's gotten more complex and respect that aspect of it, but I just don't groove to it if you know what I mean.

10 albums in common - I have a lot to learn from this list:
Top 100 Music Albums of 1992 by Tilly
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/21/2018 05:00
  • Post subject:
Not exactly how I saw this thread going, but I'll take any activity I can get at this point.

Tilly wrote:
Tilly's Take On 1992

My biggest problem with this chart is that it is not my chart, lol. We have an extreme amount in common, though there is a lot here that I haven’t gotten around to and others I like well enough but just don’t make the best of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 15:00
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Not exactly how I saw this thread going, but I'll take any activity I can get at this point.

My biggest problem with this chart is that it is not my chart, lol. We have an extreme amount in common, though there is a lot here that I haven’t gotten around to and others I like well enough but just don’t make the best of the year.

Thanks, Gowi! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 20:14
  • Post subject:
Here's a year that I just recently revised.

Top 79 Music Albums of 2005 by Tha1ChiefRocka

Seth, your chart for 2017 is decent and your other is marvelous, a lot of work were obviously put into both.

A lot of names that might have had their best in the past, but are still putting out OK material. Two albums I'm glad to see on their are Benjamin Booker and Pile. I enjoyed both of those albums, especially Pile. I feel like they might break out with their next album.

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 04/21/2018 20:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 20:22
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Don't forget to comment on the chart above you - would be one of the two Seth posted.
rkm

• Posted: 04/22/2018 07:45
  • Post subject:
Looking at Gowi and Mercury’s 2018 charts. Always interesting to me, because there’s a lot there I have no idea about and I’m keen to explore. There’s a few things I have heard.

I had a listen to Anna Burch’s album, because Gowi and Mercury are both into it.

It was pleasant enough, but I also found it a bit unremarkable. It has that laid-back, can’t be bothered attitude, which makes it believabley indie... you know, not much effort put into the vocal delivery, lazy guitar strumming etc. I’ve got no problem with that sound, but the compositions didn’t strike me as particularly interesting melodically, and lyrically, the rhyming was a bit obvious and forced.

What is it that you like about it, Gowi and Mercury?

Quit The Curse by Anna Burch

Here are the 2018 things I’m finding interesting at the moment, if anyone’s interested. Not particularly ranked. Maybe’s there’s something you’ll like, or maybe you’ll find them unremarkable? There’s quite a few female artists, and jazz, among other things.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=43147

Last edited by rkm on 04/22/2018 08:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 04/22/2018 08:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
The things I've been working on since probably October of last year. I go through phases where I binge listen to new stuff and then just chill out for a year or two.

Top 79 Music Albums of 2017 by sethmadsen

Ancient/Medieval/Renaissance: Antiquity...sethmadsen

I enjoyed quite a few recs from your 2017 chart 9 albums in common. This looks like it has quite a bit I'll enjoy as well once I get to 2018 (probably not until end of year or 3 years from now at this rate... haha)
Top 35 Music Albums of 2018 by Gowi

38 common albums, yet a lot I haven't heard.
Top 100 Music Albums of 1969 by Mercury

Top 100 Music Albums of 2017 by baystateoftheart
25 albums in common. There's some albums on here I had a hard time getting into though. Hip-hop in the past 10 years has been hard for me to follow. Someone rec'd me some recent hip-hop that sounds like it's from the 2000s... hahaha. I really like how it's gotten more complex and respect that aspect of it, but I just don't groove to it if you know what I mean.

10 albums in common - I have a lot to learn from this list:
Top 100 Music Albums of 1992 by Tilly

Seth, I followed your 2017 chart as you whittled it down.

There’s a fair amount we have in common, but you’re probably a bit broader in your taste, and get into a bit more indie stuff and hip-hop/r&b.

The thing that strikes me about it, is it’s size. Obviously different people have a different purpose in creating charts. I’m trying to limit the size of my charts, because I want to make sure I revisit the music fairly regularly. That’s not everyone’s purpose. How much of it do you think you’ll return to?

So, these are the albums we share:
Elbow
St. Vincent
Laura Marling
U2
Gang Of Youths
Randy Newman
Tinariwen
Ethan Gruska
The Staves & YMusic
Julie Byrne
Brian Eno
Living Colour

These are the albums on your list, that I would’ve kept if I’d allow myself to have a bigger chart:
The National
Jesca Hoop
Neil Young
Sheryl Crow
Mutemath
Foo Fighters
Father John Misty
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Kamasi Washington

Here’s my 2017

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=35636

I admire your ancient music project, but haven’t checked any of it out yet. I do like the title of this album on the list...

The Anatomy Of Melancholy by Ensemble D...erto Festa

Maybe volume 2 could be The Anatomy of Infinite Sadness?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2018 05:15
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

Seth, I followed your 2017 chart as you whittled it down.

There’s a fair amount we have in common, but you’re probably a bit broader in your taste, and get into a bit more indie stuff and hip-hop/r&b.

The thing that strikes me about it, is it’s size. Obviously different people have a different purpose in creating charts. I’m trying to limit the size of my charts, because I want to make sure I revisit the music fairly regularly. That’s not everyone’s purpose. How much of it do you think you’ll return to?

So, these are the albums we share:
Elbow
St. Vincent
Laura Marling
U2
Gang Of Youths
Randy Newman
Tinariwen
Ethan Gruska
The Staves & YMusic
Julie Byrne
Brian Eno
Living Colour

These are the albums on your list, that I would’ve kept if I’d allow myself to have a bigger chart:
The National
Jesca Hoop
Neil Young
Sheryl Crow
Mutemath
Foo Fighters
Father John Misty
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Kamasi Washington

Here’s my 2017

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=35636

I admire your ancient music project, but haven’t checked any of it out yet. I do like the title of this album on the list...

The Anatomy Of Melancholy by Ensemble D...erto Festa

Maybe volume 2 could be The Anatomy of Infinite Sadness?

That is a nice title, isn't it. RE: Infinite Sadness Laughing I haven't listened to that album just yet (I know the normal list elites shun that, but that particular list is actually a listening list for anyone interested in learning more about early music, as I am right now... even if I've slowed down on that project a bit... the goal is to then have a top 400 classical album list like I do for 1950 to now on this site). Classical music is much more difficult to list/document, etc. cause it's not just Beethoven's 9th, it's which version recorded by who, when, with which soloist, director, orchestra, etc. So I've decided to do a little research before adding to the list and then listening to it - hopefully selecting a better recording. A lot of this will be first listens, and it really does make a difference. I've heard dull crappy recordings of something so I didn't like it, and then heard it again with a different director/orchestra, etc. and the piece really came to life. So it matters.

Anyway, I've got 44 albums left on that chart to review before moving onto baroque music. BUT... the current Jazz thread has got me hankering to start something in that direction too... haha.

If any one is interested, these albums are what I liked most so far on my discovery of early music.
Choral Settings Of Kassiani.
The Pilgrimage To Santiago
Hildegard Von Bingen: Ordo Virtutum
Tudor Dance
Magna Melodia - Medieval Music From The Time Of The Magna Carta
Hildegard Von Bingen: Canticles Of Ecstasy
D'amor Cantando: Ballate E Madrigali Di Trecento
Music For A Medieval Prince
Music From Ancient Rome: Volume 1 - Wind Instruments
Walther Von Der Vogelweide: Lieder Von Macht & Liebe
Music Of The Gothic Era
Alfonso X El Sabio: Cantigas De Santa Maria
Fortune My Foe
The Unknown Lover: Songs By Solage And Machaut

RE: Size and getting back to it
I actually play my 2017 albums on shuffle, some of which I've heard 10-20 times already. I then created a playlist of a great song off each album, and listent to that on shuffle all the time. So while I probably won't listen to my list all the way through anytime soon, I visit aspects of it from time to time on my commute to work at least 5 times a week (the other 5 times I'm listening to something else).

And yes, you were instrumental in helping me form the last bits of my chart, unfortunately at a time when I was loosing steam on the project (150 albums later). But you did direct me to these gems, so thank you!
Randy Newman
Tinariwen
Ethan Gruska
The Staves & YMusic

Thanks RKM.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Seth, your chart for 2017 is decent and your other is marvelous, a lot of work were obviously put into both.

A lot of names that might have had their best in the past, but are still putting out OK material. Two albums I'm glad to see on their are Benjamin Booker and Pile. I enjoyed both of those albums, especially Pile. I feel like they might break out with their next album.

Dude - that "Truth is Heavy" track on Benjamin Booker's album... damn is that a fine track. And while I agree the consensus for

Foo Fighters and QOTSA are way too highly ranked, they probably aren't that good, but (I think we talked about this before) Beck's and LCD Soundsystem's album is actually really good (imo of course).

But I do agree with you and RKM that a decent number of those albums aren't the best work, but ok work from old and new artists work alike. Somehow though, a lot of it has really grown on me, and I'd probably give it an inflated rating.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/23/2018 18:08
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I had a listen to Anna Burch’s album, because Gowi and Mercury are both into it.

It was pleasant enough, but I also found it a bit unremarkable. It has that laid-back, can’t be bothered attitude, which makes it believabley indie... you know, not much effort put into the vocal delivery, lazy guitar strumming etc. I’ve got no problem with that sound, but the compositions didn’t strike me as particularly interesting melodically, and lyrically, the rhyming was a bit obvious and forced.

What is it that you like about it, Gowi and Mercury?

Quit The Curse by Anna Burch

In short? The sounds please me on an innate emotional level.

Within Anna Burch’s scene, genre, and aesthetic I would say she approaches things in a way that I find better to her immediate peers. The songs might use a simplistic rhyming scheme and follow a mellow, airy approach (using terms like lazy are counterproductive toward conversation and I do not use them) but they have resonance and that is what is centrally important.

Quit the Curse is rather vibrant and heartfelt. It has a soundscape that harkens back to the mid-90s twee and dream pop, which it tries to apply to current sensibilities in the singer/songwriter sphere in the alternative music scene. “Belle Isle” is probably one of the best songs 2018 is produced and I won’t listen to any argument against it. As for the songwriting? You don’t need to be verbose, technical, and mathematic in your songwriting to capture the imagination of a listener or the spirit of a theme. Brevity is something that Anna Burch latches onto and her songs feel warm and latch onto something for me that puts me in a focused state of mind. As a debut that I had zero impressions going into it surprised me and after nearly a dozen listens after my first listen, I would say that its staying power proves to me that it deserves placement as my favorite record of the year.
  • Visit poster's website