What kind of turntable do you have?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/11/2018 11:33
  • Post subject:
Sold my Technics 1210s quite recently as hadn't been used in a few years and taking up the spare room (kept the vinyl but digitised most of it). I'll probably end up buying another turntable when the missus isn't looking as love the sound Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/11/2018 20:29
  • Post subject:
I've got an Audio Technica LP120 (basically built like a tank, 1210 rip-off), which given the price and if you're considering a new one over used isn't a bad way to go. I'd hazard a guess it might be the one that Seth's thinking about picking up - there's a lot on t'internet about the in-built pre-amp fucking the sound up, although you can rip it out (not that I'm overly confident in doing so), but I've got 2 Pioneer PL-12ds sitting in my garage (inherited from grandfathers) and I'd take the AT over both any day. I've made a couple of minor tweaks (new cartridge, stylus, cork mat) and my AT sounds fine running through my Marantz amp.

I'd love a Rega P3 and fully intend to get one at some point, but for now my current set-up suits me nicely.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 06/12/2018 01:03
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
That's another one I've looked at. What do you think?

Well, it works solidly. I was using a real cheaply for a little while before I bought it, and the Project made me realise what bad condition a lot of my old vinyl was in, compared to new pressings I’d bought. I’m also aware that I really need to get a better amp and speakers to get the most out of it.

The platter is some kind of resin, which means you’re not meant to need any sort of mat, but I still get static clicks and pops, particularly if I’ve just wiped dust from a record. I need to get a mat and see if it makes a difference.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:24
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
I'm a bit of a Rega fan. The Rega P1 is a lovely turntable and in your price range. The P2 is just above what you want to spend but is a lovely bit of kit. I've got the P3 which I absolutely love. Good hunting.

Hmm... P1 is more like $450 in the states, but I have heard a lot of nice things about Rega. Maybe I just need to find a joint where I could test these out, but perhaps those don't exist anymore. (read a whole article on why used gear is better because nobody tests equipment before buying anymore).

Plus they are from the UK, so that gets bonus points.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:27
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
A broken one.

Laughing

Me too... hence the thread.

it's frustrating... I've had this stereo system since memory began. The first time I heard Sgt. Peppers was on this thing or U2... I know that's boring for a lot of you, but it means a lot to me.

I made my first legit mixed tapes on this thing. Somehow it was a mix of Tom Petty and Beck circa the early 90s, with like a song or 4 from other artists.

It's really been there my entire musical journey. From CD's, mixed tapes, my dad's tape collection, vinyl, all the way to streaming... like nearly 30 years of music blasting throughout my house.

Time to move on though cause it shorting out constantly is getting super annoying.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:30
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Sold my Technics 1210s quite recently as hadn't been used in a few years and taking up the spare room (kept the vinyl but digitised most of it).

Is the MK5 nearly as good? Been seeing a few of those around.

albummaster wrote:
I'll probably end up buying another turntable when the missus isn't looking as love the sound Mr. Green

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:34
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
I've got an Audio Technica LP120 (basically built like a tank, 1210 rip-off), which given the price and if you're considering a new one over used isn't a bad way to go. I'd hazard a guess it might be the one that Seth's thinking about picking up - there's a lot on t'internet about the in-built pre-amp fucking the sound up, although you can rip it out (not that I'm overly confident in doing so), but I've got 2 Pioneer PL-12ds sitting in my garage (inherited from grandfathers) and I'd take the AT over both any day. I've made a couple of minor tweaks (new cartridge, stylus, cork mat) and my AT sounds fine running through my Marantz amp.

I'd love a Rega P3 and fully intend to get one at some point, but for now my current set-up suits me nicely.

The LP120 is totally what I'm eyeing at the moment. You mind letting me know what cartridge and stylus you ended up going for? You glad you upgraded or nearly not noticeable for the cost?

I've heard those Marantz amps are very nice. When I asked a friend, that's what he said... he's like I don't really know about turntables, but I'm saving up for a Marantz amp.

Thanks for the review/seconding the purchase.

EDIT: Oh have you tested the tracking features on it (anti-skating, etc)? I've read possibly bullshit it doesn't actually work - like the anti-skating doesn't actually correct, etc... but hard to say without playing with it I suppose. Some reviewer said he tried it on two different tables and they both had the issue -he contacted support and they were like, buy a nicer one... but the problem is that's just one dude. Who knows with these reviewers...

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 06/12/2018 05:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:42
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Well, it works solidly. I was using a real cheaply for a little while before I bought it, and the Project made me realise what bad condition a lot of my old vinyl was in, compared to new pressings I’d bought. I’m also aware that I really need to get a better amp and speakers to get the most out of it.

The platter is some kind of resin, which means you’re not meant to need any sort of mat, but I still get static clicks and pops, particularly if I’ve just wiped dust from a record. I need to get a mat and see if it makes a difference.

I am not going to claim to know anything, but I was hearing on youtube/around that a proper cleaning, adjusting the weight/tracking can help with stuff like that as well.

Are you happy with the speed/other features. That's been one reason I'm eyeing the LP120 is it seems fully customizeable and full of fantastic features, including being a tank and most importantly to me as my 30 year old turntable has a subtle speed issue, but not way to fix it. BUT... the Rega and the Pro Ject seem to have the much higher quality sound.

In someways the only thing that matters is indeed the sound, right? So it's like, maybe I put down another $50/$150 and be blown away by the sound.

I suppose it all comes back to me hearing the AT, Rega, and Pro Ject in a lineup with the same config and see if I can notice $150 worth of sound quality.

Reminds me of buying a bass. MusicMan has REALLY nice basses at their high end from a materials perspective. They are $1400 (roughly/variables, etc.). A MusicMan SUB (which is their lowest end basses) are the best low end bass coming in at about $300 and actually have only slight sound quality differences... so I had hard time saying the silky finish was worth the extra $1000. That's oversimplified, but you get it. There's this point in the curve when increase in cost gets fewer and fewer returns.

Also what happened to Victrola. They were like the first big company for turntables and radios, yet you go look at them now and it seems like they only sell really cheap crap. Capitalism or what?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2018 02:43
  • Post subject:
Another one to throw in the mix is the U Turn Audio TT. I'd be interesting in hearing that out of the box too compared to the others listed.
  • Visit poster's website
souplipton

Canada

• Posted: 06/12/2018 05:07
  • Post subject:
I also have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon. I love it, the only thing i dislike is that to change from 33 rpm to 45 rpm I have to lift the platter and move the belt. I don't have to change the playback speed often, so it's not too big of a deal. Besides that it works fantastic, thought I haven't tried any of the other turntables in that price range to compare it against.
  • Visit poster's website