Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 10/23/2018 22:40
  • Post subject: Pitchfork's Scathing Review of Greta Van Fleet
You know they had to do it to 'em.

It's been a long time since I've read a good negative review.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gr...eful-army/
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States
  • Posted: 10/23/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
Oh shit a 1.6?!? Now I kinda want to listen to it. I feel like if I heard it, it would be around the 6-8/10 range. I mean it has to be a fucking chore to get through an album to get a grade like that.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States
  • Posted: 10/23/2018 23:11
  • Post subject: Re: Pitchfork's Scathing Review of Greta Van Fleet
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
You know they had to do it to 'em.

It's been a long time since I've read a good negative review.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/gr...eful-army/

Thanks for the link. That was a fun read.

GVF is an absolute wet dream for the superficial classic rocker pining for the Led Zeppelin sound with no concern for Zep's attitude or overall musical talent. Their sound is such that it doesn't make me want to lunge for the "next" button, but even with that in mind, I can easily say they're the most derivative band I've ever heard, and with all the Zep wannabe's we've had through the years, that's saying something.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States
  • Posted: 10/23/2018 23:26
  • Post subject:
this is the best line in a pretty funny review...

They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.

I certainly don't mind them, but if your yearning for some GREAT 70s hard rock that's a bit like Zeppelin listen to Budgie for christ sake. They are AMAZING!!!

Budgie by Budgie
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States
  • Posted: 10/23/2018 23:41
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
this is the best line in a pretty funny review...

They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.

I certainly don't mind them, but if your yearning for some GREAT 70s hard rock that's a bit like Zeppelin listen to Budgie for christ sake. They are AMAZING!!!

Budgie by Budgie

Yep.
I recently picked up Squawk and Never Turn Your Back on a Friend. Good stuff. Will likely seek more, especially if I can find it at a good price.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States
  • Posted: 10/24/2018 01:20
  • Post subject:

Anthem Of The Peaceful Army by Greta Van Fleet

Well, BEA disagrees so far. And given my opinion of Pitchfork, I'm now inclined to listen to this...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 10/24/2018 02:04
  • Post subject:
Funny, a few days ago I considered posting this article as a subject of a new thread:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hap...06659.html

I decided against it because I felt it would've led to a repeat of the same conversation from other threads.

But we now we have this Pitchfork review. Yup, I enjoyed reading that too. Lots of valid points about the current state of music. The only GVF song I know is Highway Tune, which I initially mistook as a long-lost Zeppelin b-side recently unearthed. Even if GVF albums stink, I'm kinda inclined to listen to them now anyway.

By the way, could the same criticism Pitchfork is giving GVF be given to Tame Impala for also sounding like a Classic Rock band?
Luigii

United States
  • Posted: 10/24/2018 02:12
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Funny, a few days ago I considered posting this article as a subject of a new thread:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hap...06659.html

I decided against it because I felt it would've led to a repeat of the same conversation from other threads.

But we now we have this Pitchfork review. Yup, I enjoyed reading that too. Lots of valid points about the current state of music. The only GVF song I know is Highway Tune, which I initially mistook as a long-lost Zeppelin b-side recently unearthed. Even if GVF albums stink, I'm kinda inclined to listen to them now anyway.

By the way, could the same criticism Pitchfork is giving GVF be given to Tame Impala for also sounding like a Classic Rock band?

Maybe for there earlier work, but not Currents.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States
  • Posted: 10/24/2018 02:13
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Tame Impala has gotten a lot of flack for allegedly sounding like The Beatles, but their last album was synthpop, so I think their style has been varied enough to avoid falling into the GVF trap. Yes, they usually work with familiar sounds, but they have avoided seeming like a carbon copy of any particular band.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 10/24/2018 03:24
  • Post subject:
Parker sounds undeniably like Lennon on "Sun's Coming Up", but other than that, they haven't been derivative in any sense. They've got a unique sound as far as I'm concerned.

Listen, Pitchfork is not my favorite either, but someone has to put the record label in their place. I don't blame the kids in Greta Van Fleet; they're just trying to make fun rock music, albeit they are doing it poorly. In the streaming world, which we've already seen exploited by Drake, algorithms and clicks are the key. And as soon as a record label can exploit a sound, then they're going to drive it into the ground. Greta Van Fleet is definitely not saving rock music, they might well be destroying it. (Take that line with a grain of salt; it's a hot take.) If you like it, that's fine, don't let me stop you from listening to it. I listened to "Jet" and "Wolfmother" back in the day too, but I eventually grew out of it, because I realized how derivative and unoriginal those bands were. The same stuff that's dressed in a different package. It's like buying the same razorblade you could buy in 1975, except now it's duller, cuts you, and costs the same price.
  • Visit poster's website