Album of the day (#3430): Animals by Pink Floyd

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/07/2020 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3430): Animals by Pink Floyd
Today's album of the day

Animals by Pink Floyd (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1977.
Overall rank: 37
Average rating: 88/100 (from 2306 votes).

Tracks:
1. Pigs On The Wing 1
2. Dogs
3. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
4. Sheep
5. Pigs On The Wing 2

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 05/07/2020 20:05
  • Post subject:
Out of their biggest albums-period, this is not only the most underrated, but it's better with higher replay value than DSoTM, WYWH and The Wall!

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
pctrooper

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2020 22:31
  • Post subject:
I could never really get into this album. Perhaps I should give it another try, but in the days when I used to listen to Pink Floyd all the time it was from this album forward where it all went downhill in my opinion. While there are some nice themes and energy behind the big songs, I feel like they never really get interesting or connect with me emotionally. Pigs on the Wing I always thought was kind of corny, too. Plus I always felt the lyrics were kind of annoying and uninspired, ripping off Orwell. I don't like too much overt political rhetoric.

That being said, there is still a lot to enjoy here, and for those who are fans I say that's great. It's a respectable work, but one that does not really hold my attention like their previous releases do.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 05/07/2020 22:57
  • Post subject:
Animals isn't a PF album that I come to that often, but it has aged pretty well. I don't know that I want to call it underrated, but its less recognizable than the the albums its sandwiched between.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Sonoffatboy

Canada

• Posted: 05/08/2020 05:38
  • Post subject:
When I came to Floyd, this was the album that left a mark, I think I listened to it once every day when I was 17, or at least once a week. I was spellbound by the textures and ferocity, the song lengths were at first off putting but when I listen to it I was never been bored.

This definitely is where Roger took full control, the diminishing input of Mason and Wright, especially Wright for creative input is telling, that being said it still sounds Floydy unlike the wall and final cut which are really just Waters and the others as a backing band (apart from Gilmour who still had a sliver of a voice)

Speaking of Gilmour, this is probably the best album with him as a guitarist, Dogs is simply a masterpiece and is top 5 floyd songs of all time. Even though he doesn't get the credit for the other two major songs, his guitar work is what gives those songs there momentum.

This is also where Waters finally got out his big soapbox, and became a vitriolic preacher for Labour. However I find his attacks less personal and specific, then what I would find on the wall and Final Cut. I think the general attacks are better then his later personal polemics, which even though I share his views, I find tiring being hit on the head with. Thankfully this is one of the few albums without reference to his dead father, which I know makes me sound callous but becomes as tiresome, and this comes from a man who never met his own birth father.

Its still a personal favorite even if I dont play it often. Still rate it higher then Darkside and the wall.
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/08/2020 11:50
  • Post subject:
Just joined the site yesterday, overjoyed to see one of my top albums as chart of the day.
  • Visit poster's website