Album of the day (#3650): Monster by R.E.M.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/15/2020 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3650): Monster by R.E.M.
Today's album of the day

Monster by R.E.M. (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1994.
Overall rank: 896
Average rating: 73/100 (from 505 votes).

Tracks:
1. What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
2. Crush With Eyeliner
3. King Of Comedy
4. I Don't Sleep, I Dream
5. Star 69
6. Strange Currencies
7. Tongue
8. Bang And Blame
9. I Took Your Name
10. Let Me In
11. Circus Envy
12. You

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/15/2020 21:03
  • Post subject:
Anyone fancy a retread of the Green Album of the Day thread? My thoughts are basically the same on this one, to be honest. One of their lesser efforts, for sure.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2020 05:42
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Anyone fancy a retread of the Green Album of the Day thread? My thoughts are basically the same on this one, to be honest. One of their lesser efforts, for sure.

Laughing

there was a time when I was going to join the rest of the world and make this the most used CD on the planet... but then it grew on me and I love it.
  • Visit poster's website
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 12/16/2020 16:36
  • Post subject:
Nice of REM to make a hit song about Dan Rather getting his face absolutely pummeled in.
  • Visit poster's website
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/16/2020 20:57
  • Post subject:
Green to the New adventures album are all excellent
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2020 01:33
  • Post subject:
PossiblyMichigan wrote:
Nice of REM to make a hit song about Dan Rather getting his face absolutely pummeled in.

An example of me not caring about lyrics, yet again - thanks for the info.

Quote:
Lead singer Michael Stipe has said in interviews[when?] that the lyrics are about the Generation X phenomenon in contemporary mass media, sung in character as an older critic whose information consists exclusively of media products.

I wrote that protagonist as a guy who's desperately trying to understand what motivates the younger generation, who has gone to great lengths to try and figure them out, and at the end of the song it's completely fucking bogus. He got nowhere.
— Michael Stipe

Quote:
"Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

On October 4, 1986, while walking along Park Avenue to his apartment in Manhattan, Rather was attacked and punched from behind by a man who demanded to know "Kenneth, what is the frequency?" while a second assailant chased and beat him. As the assailant pummeled and kicked Rather, he kept repeating the question. In describing the incident, Rather said "I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea."[127] Until the crime was resolved years later, Rather's description of the bizarre crime led some to doubt the veracity of his account,[128] although the doorman and building supervisor who rescued Rather fully confirmed his version of events.[127]

The assault remained unsolved for some time, and was referenced multiple times in popular culture. The phrase "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" became a popular-culture reference over the years, such as in a scene in the graphic novel Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by cartoonist Daniel Clowes. The opening track of the 1987 album Lolita Nation by California power pop group Game Theory is titled "Kenneth, What's the Frequency?" In 1994, the band R.E.M. released the song "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" on their album Monster. Rather later sang with R.E.M. during a sound check prior to a gig at New York's Madison Square Garden, which was shown the following night on the Late Show with David Letterman.[129]

In 1997, a TV critic writing in the New York Daily News solved the mystery, publishing a photo of the alleged assailant, William Tager, who received a 12½-to-25-year prison sentence for killing NBC stagehand Campbell Montgomery outside The Today Show studio in 1994.[128] Rather confirmed the story: "There's no doubt in my mind that this is the person."[128] New York District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau said "William Tager's identity as the man who attacked Mr. Rather was established in the course of an investigation by my office."[130] Tager claimed he thought television networks were beaming signals into his brain.[131] When he murdered the stagehand, Tager was trying to force his way into an NBC studio with a weapon, in order to find out the frequency the networks were using to attack him, so that he could block it. Tager was paroled in October 2010.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2020 01:38
  • Post subject:
an-outlaw wrote:
Green to the New adventures album are all excellent

I'm biased, but I agree.
  • Visit poster's website
brainofj242

• Posted: 12/17/2020 02:05
  • Post subject:
I feel like the younger R.E.M. fans get more out of their discography than the older ones. Specially those born mid-1980's where they were kids and could rightfully love Shiny Happy People and Stand. Or at least consider them guilty pleasures from their childhoods. I can't imagine having heard the IRS albums first then having to make it through the Warner Bros years. Green is a great introduction album, 6 albums in. That all being said, I didn't feel the least bit sighted listening to Monster. Strange Currencies is one of my favorite songs of theirs.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 12/18/2020 04:05
  • Post subject:
Brilliant album. Their Warner work has as many high points as the IRS years.
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/19/2020 01:30
  • Post subject:
I like this album
Bang And Blame is one of my favourite REM songs.
  • Visit poster's website