Album of the day (#4897): Person Pitch by Panda Bear

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 21 hours ago
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4897): Person Pitch by Panda Bear
Today's album of the day

Person Pitch by Panda Bear (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2007.
Overall rank: 432
Average rating: 81/100 (from 636 votes).

Tracks:
1. Comfy In Nautica
2. Take Pills
3. Bros
4. I'm Not
5. Good Girl/Carrots
6. Search For Delicious
7. Ponytail

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 20 hours ago
  • Post subject:
Always really liked this album but low-key dug the aesthetics and sounds more than I genuinely enjoyed it. Still a great tribute to psychedelic pop from Panda Bear, and I agree that this is the musical equivalent to massive indoor pools.

"Panda Bear's Person Pitch (Paw Tracks, 2007) performs a spectacular deconstruction of pop and folk music. The vocal harmonies recall the Beach Boys, the melodies evoke cheesy bubblegum acts such as 10 CC. Comfy In Nautica a-cappella children's hymn with loud rhythmic clapping amid assorted electronic effects. The spaced-out vocals, the multi-part harmonies, the cascading melody of Take Pills sound positively like harkening from the psychedelic Sixties, but the song is typical of how the rhythms, whose effect is often enhanced by loops, transport Panda Bear's ditties into another orbit and another planet. Panda Bear weaves singalongs that ride layers of humble arrangements according to an ancestral logic of tribal repetition and jovial self-parody.
Sometimes his music sounds like folk-rock in the hands of a primitive tribe, as in the hypnotic, epic 12-minute Bros, sung with an attitude that sits halfway between Brazialian saudade and a stoned hippy's nonchalance (the vocals are distorted and reverbed) while the jingling percussion gets more and more intense. (The next song, I'm Not, sounds like an appendix focusing mostly on loops of dreamy vocals without the rhythm).
Moments of percussive trance and ecstatic singing also surface from the melodic crevices of the 13-minute Good Girl/Carrots, that replaces the collective hammering of Bros with dissonant industrial loops and beeps and hisses. The singing here is a mere corollary to the grotesque soundscape. (And, again, the orgy is followed by a piece of floating free-form vocals).
Panda Bear has installed a giant mirror in the sky to project Earth's life onto another galaxy." - Scaruffi.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 20 hours ago
  • Post subject:
God, Scaruffi is so full of...Scaruffi.

Rolling Eyes