Possible red flag

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
hwex9000

• Posted: 11/13/2023 16:56
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Personally believe (and stated above), it's against the spirit of the site, so it's 'frowned upon' in that respect, but unfortunately it makes no difference to the scores. ... Unfortunately, it would be impossible to enforce if we said people can't rate/rank your own albums (how do we know which band/artist an anonymous user is affiliated to?) .

I actually came across a blatant example of this, when looking up an album in the 6000-6500 range that I had never heard of before - a user, who has it at #1 on his chart, openly admits in the comments that it's his own album!

I'm not naming artist or album here, because he's rather sweetly upfront and semi-apologetic about it, and as AM notes it doesn't make much difference in the larger scheme of things. But it does violate the spirit of the site. If dozens of people suddenly started adding and upvoting their own work, it would really make things odd here.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2023 19:32
  • Post subject:
hwex9000 wrote:
If dozens of people suddenly started adding and upvoting their own work, it would really make things odd here.

I've only been here 2 years, but I eventually learned there's a big difference between "adding" and "upvoting" here when it comes to your own album(s). There are actually quite a few examples of the former — the best place to start is this chart (compiled by videoheadcleaner) if you're curious — but like the old-timers here will all tell you, the ranking system is set up so that it doesn't really matter much as long as people don't put their own album into their all-time Top Ten or whatever. And even then, the best you'll probably do is Top 10,000, barely.

The fact is, I've listened to a few of those albums and most of them are pretty good, or at least plenty good enough to deserve inclusion here, if not an actual ranking. I'd say that in most cases they're either a little too weird for my tastes or not weird enough (if you know what I mean), and I've yet to come across any that have been "earth-shattering" (though maybe I will someday), but virtually all of them are a lot better than Iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook by I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook — and that album is ranked #35,551 and is in the Top 1000 for 2010. So, there's that.

Of course, next thing you know someone is going to tell me the Cannibal Haikus album is a "BEA creation" too, which will be personally embarrassing, but ya know what? I don't care! These are musicians, and BEA members, and (mostly) adults, and as such they have to know that not every album is going to appeal to every person out there, even if every person happens to be me in some strange capacity. That's why they call it "music" — you have to follow your Muse, and that means your own Muse and not some other person's Muse, or the band Muse, whom I also feel is highly overrated.
  • Visit poster's website