Really good albums that are on 5 or less BEA charts?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
melisandre

• Posted: 05/15/2023 20:20
  • Post subject: Really good albums that are on 5 or less BEA charts?
I expect we all have some of these on our charts. What are some really good or even great albums that are not on many charts at all and deserve a shout out?

I have a few so will post soon. Let us know the number of charts (5 or less, for starters) when you post.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2023 21:00
  • Post subject: Re: Really good albums that are on 5 or less BEA charts?
melisandre wrote:
I expect we all have some of these on our charts. What are some really good or even great albums that are not on many charts at all and deserve a shout out?

I have a few so will post soon. Let us know the number of charts (5 or less, for starters) when you post.

Should this be limited to albums we didn't add to the database ourselves? And... maybe also disqualify albums whose only chart rankings are our own? Otherwise, it's almost too easy, and that's putting aside the possibility that the lack of rankings by other people might not be entirely due to inadequate marketing effort alone, if you know what I'm saying.

But as long as I'm at it, there are two albums on my all-time chart that I added myself and nobody else has ranked:

Born To Sleep by DIV I DED

Darkest Light by Shana Falana

But of all the albums I've added to the BEA database over the past two years, the one I was most surprised not to find here already was this one (and I'm still the only person who has it on a chart):

Live At The Portland Arms by The Soft Boys
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 05/15/2023 21:12
  • Post subject: Re: Really good albums that are on 5 or less BEA charts?
MadhattanJack wrote:

Should this be limited to albums we didn't add to the database ourselves? And... maybe also disqualify albums whose only chart rankings are our own?

Oh, I don’t mind. I know some people add a lot of obscure stuff so could apply this rule if they want. For me, I haven’t added much. It’s more the surprise at finding albums I thought would be more popular on hardly any charts that made me curious. I added some of these albums but others appeared on critics lists that have been added to the BEA database.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2023 21:30
  • Post subject:
This in on one chart (mine):

Raven In The Snow by Bill Miller

Link

This in on four charts (3 are mine).

Salesmen And Racists by Ike Reilly

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/15/2023 21:55
  • Post subject:

Greatest Hits by Sheep On Drugs

takes me back to the halcyon daze of my teenage years. Indie disco, and the exuberance of youth.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2023 22:16
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Greatest Hits by Sheep On Drugs

Which reminds me, there's a chart for this too (obscure albums that is, not just sheep on drugs) — actually there are two of them, posted by Steppenwolf666:

Greatest Obscure Albums By Top BEA Members part 1 (1-100) by Steppenwolf666
Greatest obscure albums by top BEA members part 2 (101-180) by Steppenwolf666

He seems to have put a lot of effort into these, so they deserve a mention. I guess I could probably make a custom chart just for the stuff I've added myself, too, since I do add a lot of obscure stuff... though that seems a bit solipsistic somehow. Still, other people have done that, so maybe I'm just super-sensitive to solipsism.
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 05/16/2023 09:35
  • Post subject:

Don't Breath a Word of This by Kevin Ti...Red Terror
This is the album that prompted me to start this thread. It's only on three charts: two of mine, one from UNCUT magazine. Admittedly, it was through UNCUT that I discovered this album. It's some really good Elliot Smith/ Beatlesque pop rock. Tihista deserved some more success, or at least a memorable moment on a tv soundtrack. I distinctly remember the UNCUT reviewer writing that you would not find a more lovely song in 2001 than the title track and it was a fair point.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 05/16/2023 09:40
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Which reminds me, there's a chart for this too (obscure albums that is, not just sheep on drugs) — actually there are two of them, posted by Steppenwolf666:

He seems to have put a lot of effort into these, so they deserve a mention. I guess I could probably make a custom chart just for the stuff I've added myself, too, since I do add a lot of obscure stuff... though that seems a bit solipsistic somehow. Still, other people have done that, so maybe I'm just super-sensitive to solipsism.

Props to Steppenwolf666 for this chart...though he literally has the best of the Beatles on the first page of the chart. I'm not sure how the best of the Beatles could be seen as obscure lol

Edit: Steppenwolf666 has a sound explanation for all this on the chart itself.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 16:16
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:

Oh, hey, I'm in that chart! Neat, thanks Steppenwolf666 for making this and MadhattanJack for posting.

Uprising by Miles Mosley
I suppose I'll plug the entry in Step's chart that was from mine. During the recording of Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, a number of prominent LA jazz musicians got together and recorded a bunch of music adjacent to their backing jazz orchestrations on To Pimp a Butterfly. Afterwards, they began performing together (sometimes as "West Coast Get Down") and recorded a number of albums together. The most famous of these is Kamasi Washington's The Epic. In my opinion, Uprising is even better than The Epic. Definitely not as... epic, but still powerful. More geared towards jazz fusion or funk than The Epic's spiritual jazz.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/17/2023 20:12
  • Post subject:
I follow the Smithsonian Folkways label and get lots of their new releases, so there's been many of those I've added to the database, and several times they've gotten a reasonable following on here. More often than not, however, they get very little attention. Dom Flemons' latest is one that comes to mind. Two chart appearances, both mine

Traveling Wildfire by Dom Flemons

As for ones that were already on the site (i.e. not added by me) that doesn't show much up, I'm surprised the latest album by the Naked & Famous ranks so low, seeing as their debut has a pretty good showing on some charts here.

Recover by The Naked And Famous
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website