Same user, 2 accounts?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/19/2023 18:14
  • Post subject: Same user, 2 accounts?
Hi, hope you're all doing ok out there.

I have found someone that has 2 accounts from the same user (I think?).

tim0505

Strattonfox

Even though one profile has more ratings than the other, there are still a lot of ratings from the same albums.

For example, one of the albums from System of a Down have the same number rating out of 100 (80).

It also looks like one of the accounts haven't been used in 3 years (From the look of their greatest album chart when it last got updated) which means it's time for that account to go.

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2023 20:16
  • Post subject:
Ratings aren't really all that big a deal on BEA, though. And besides, you're talking about Toxicity, right? I don't get why anyone would rate that album in the first place. Not talking

Seriously though, there's no technical evidence that I can see, and I'm also not seeing anything here that would indicate the two accounts aren't just guys of a similar age and market demographic who probably grew up in the same country and therefore probably listened to some of the same radio stations during those last few years before radio became largely irrelevant. There are a couple of semi-obscure picks in Strattonfox's (only) chart, but that's not unusual, and the overlap with Tim0505's corresponding chart is pretty minimal if you ask me... So, reasonable people might disagree but this looks like a false positive to me.

I'd wait for Albummaster to tell us all of this himself, but Tim0505 is an active member so we wouldn't want him to think he's under some sort of "general suspicion" in case he reads this thread.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/20/2023 07:44
  • Post subject: Re: Same user, 2 accounts?
Very much agree with MadhattanJack's analysis (thank you). In addition, 'inactive' accounts do not get deleted unilaterally by BEA (users come and go from the site over long periods). (Chart points depreciate to nothing over 10 years, from when they are last updated, which minimizes the effect of older charts).
  • Visit poster's website
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/25/2023 19:53
  • Post subject:
Ah ok. I'll take your word for it.

Then again, both accounts don't really have any troll related crap in their comments and they are just putting down what they think. From what I see, not everyone adds ratings to the albums, sometimes they just put them down as listened or added to their collection/wishlist. My idea of someone having two accounts is that maybe they have one for ratings and the other for using a greatest ever albums chart that gets changed for when they feel like it. You can't always tell. Although that being said, the ratings on both accounts have some interesting picks. Unfortunately for some people who are reading this, I like a lot of the guilty pleasure/overhated stuff such as Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Hoobastank and Theory of a Deadman (Sorry, haters). But I do like some other stuff outside of that such as Ash, Stereophonics and Feeder.

Anyway, sorry if this came across as a little bit mean but I just have a thing for noticing stuff that doesn't look right at times.

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website